Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sports Bar In Sligo

Options
  • 05-01-2008 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Really noticed over the Christmas the lack of a good sports bar in Sligo town. A clean decent place with a few good big flatscreen tv's, with no "Jimmy the scumbag" or "Joey the crazy" hanging around.

Shannigans used to be such a place but can't seem to find anywhere else at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

meh.

Go to the game. It's much better;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Sports bar minus scumbags? Nice idea. It'll never catch on. First whiff of a Premiership or Celtic match and the place will be riddled with them. They distribute themselves throughout the decent sports fans, there to watch the match and have a drink, so as to generate an even level of annoyance, discomfort and "leave after this one-ness". They make themselves known by tracksuits, tight black jeans, greasy heads, bad mustaches, speaking very loudly and a pale, clammy complexion. Especially annoying during Rugby and GAA matches, as they struggle to understand the rules (although this is also true of the offside rule in football).
    The Belfry used to show matches up the back. Not sure if they still do. Used to attract a decent sort of a crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

il gatto wrote: »
    The Belfry used to show matches up the back. Not sure if they still do. Used to attract a decent sort of a crowd.

would go to the belfry my self if with a large group of mates, either for premiership or rugby, never found it a problem to be honest, think the bigger the bar, the less of a problem it is, as for having a sports bar, i somewhere like the belfry has enough screens and bars to cater for showing two or threes different sports at once

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Connolly's is your best bet for live games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Belfry hasn't got enough screens imo, yeah saw a few games in Connellys and it was decent enough. Still think there is a market for a decent sportsbar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

fiddlers is pretty good for football. have 3 flat screens and a small screen at the back where they sometimes show something else if 2 things are on at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

i like Connolly's too. They show soccer and rugby simultaneously if there's a good rugby match on. Ireland/Germany and England/France in the RWC were both on back in October. It was class. Had to go to the Clarion at half time, but found that standing in the doorway between the front and back bar enabled me to continue my sports overload. Crap results all round though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Brianb8802

Ya i tried to go watch the munster match last weekend and ended up goin to about five pubs before we found it. whats the deal with pubs being closed on a sunday?? Brewery and McHughs were. Ended up watching it in the glass house. Where is connollys? Might go there this weekend for the munster match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Rozbeef

connollys is just across the river from the glasshouse. in the street where mollys burger place is.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Brianb8802

thanks, must check it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Rozbeef wrote: »
    connollys is just across the river from the glasshouse. in the street where mollys burger place is.

Markievicz Road (sp?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

The only problem with the Belfry is that it's infested with Manchester United fans. otherwise it's a grand bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Jabby wrote: »
    The only problem with the Belfry is that it's infested with Manchester United fans. otherwise it's a grand bar.
    Careful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Jabby wrote: »
    The only problem with the Belfry is that it's infested with Manchester United fans..

And some very depressed looking Arsenal fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

muffler wrote: »
    Careful!

He is kinda right, but it should be considering it has a man u supporters club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 steve staunton

im the gaffer, i say belfry:D

Advertisement