Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no mains water in kitchen but tank filling

Options
  • 05-01-2008 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    This is a strange one. My tenants just told me that the mains water in the kitchen i.e. the cold tap, is not working, seemingly hasn't been for about 6 weeks. But the attic tank is filling. This caused no problems, it's 2 guys who seemingly don't drink cold water:rolleyes:, until the washing machine which takes a hot and cold feed stopped working yesterday showing an error that typically has to do with no water feed. I am very cash strapped this month so no plumber if I can get away with it, and my dad is a builder so he can handle most things, but does anyone have any idea as to what is going on. I really need some help with this.:confused:
    Thanks guys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

doesnt your cold water come straight from the outside mains?

I always thought the tank in the atic wasfor hot water only.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

The tank is fed from the cold tap at the mains (normally under the sink). If all the toilets are working and other cold taps are working they are fed from the tank, so it may be a problem with your cold tap spindle in the kitchen. They can be replaced for about €10 in a plumbers wholesale. It's simple enough, adjustable wrench, screwdriver, PTFE tape. Just remember to turn off the cold mains before taking off the tap.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Thanks we'll try that tomorrow let you know how we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

The tap spindal is one thing but that wouldn't effect the washing machine not working if it is a feed problem. Pipe is unlikely blocked. Only other thing maybe is that the filter on the washing machine hose is blocked which could be stopping that I suppose but usually unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Did anyone turn the stopcock the stops the water going to the sink and washing machine? I know that I have one under my sink that cuts off the water to the sink and washing machine and dishwasher.

• Advertisement
Advertisement