Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Megane Cabriolet

Options
  • 06-01-2008 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭

Hi,

Thinking about buying one of these shortly, possibly from the North. More than likely it will be 2004 onwards model.

Quick few questions for any one who's familiar with the cabriolet model:

a). Is there anything I should definately look for? I've heard a few things about the roofs leaking. Any way to confirm if this has happened to the car; apart from wet seats..

b). Renault's reliability.... in the past few days it has been compared to both "Alfa Romeos, Fiats & Peugots". Is this just cock and bull or fact? My family have driven various models and have had no serious problems with the most recent builds.

c). Do they de-value much? Would it be comparable to an Alfa Romeo?

d). Apart from the HPI & AA inspection, is there any other type of 'test' that can done on the car?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Get a Lancer ;):D

They look alright as far as looks go. Never been a fan of french cars. Your in Ireland remember, not much use for a convertible here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

hi,

well, not all French cars are pooooo, my first car was a Citroen and it was brilliant, never let me down.

re; your potential purchase. Find out the location of a good car wash on the test drive and put it through one. If it leaks, walk away.............dont think you'll get it fixed.......just walk away. VERY IMPORTANT to get many gallons of water over it.

also, make sure the roof works up and down properly if motorised and the heated rear window works etc.
    and dont just concentrate of the roof, make sure this car has no accident damage, correct mileage etc. Treat it like any car.
    and depreciation, well - it'll happen like any car.........renault of not.

enjoy it on the 2 hot sunny days we get once every summer"!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

pooh on those who say no use for a convertible here - they're like solar panels: they don't need sun, just to stop the rain!

Nothing like a spin with the top down on (dry) winter's day - that's what the heater's for........

You're forgetting that in hot climes, soft-tops are no good either: sun stroke........damhik.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I have never driven one........i would never buy one....EVER.
    In my opinion they look rubish and i would imagine it would have lots of niggling little faults that Renaults seem to suffer from.
    There are lots of way better convertibles on the market.
    Do you need the four seats? (the Reno's rears are useless for all but kids)

I think ireland has a good climate for a convertible....Not too hot, not too cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Get a Lancer ;):D

They look alright as far as looks go. Never been a fan of french cars. Your in Ireland remember, not much use for a convertible here :)

Had an 04 one, brilliant cars.

• Advertisement

Mr.Boots wrote: »

To profer advice on something you freely admit you have ZERO experience of is nothing short of ..........daft.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Renault Megane Cabriolet = Aids!

Mitsubishi Lancer = much win was had!

Hope that helped. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Orange69 wrote: »
    Renault Megane Cabriolet = Aids!

Mitsubishi Lancer = much win was had!

Hope that helped. ;)

How do you take the top down on a Lancer? A tim opener?

galwaytt wrote: »
    To profer advice on something you freely admit you have ZERO experience of is nothing short of ..........daft.

I figured that too but resisted adding fodder to the flame. I test drove it earlier and have to say it's a beautiful car. Think I've decided :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what's your budget?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

In my opinion they look rubish...

The guy has seen one therefore his advice can be proffered ..

Its only an opinion galwaytt, I dont have to drive or owen a car to have an opinion on it.
    I think most informed people know the Megane convertible isnt a drivers car, will have niggling little quality isues, wont have good resale value.
    Its just a car i would never buy, its mutton dressed as lamb.
    The people who buy them do so for 3 reasons, (1) the price (2) the "look" (3) the roof.
    If thats all you want from a car fair enough......All i was getting at is there is better convertibles on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the Megane Cabrio is hardly good looking is it?
    I think it's pretty clumsy, the same way the Focus, 307 and Colt convertibles are.

Its only an opinion galwaytt, I dont have to drive or owen a car to have an opinion on it.
    I think most informed people know the Megane convertible isnt a drivers car, will have niggling little quality isues, wont have good resale value.
    Its just a car i would never buy, its mutton dressed as lamb.
    The people who buy them do so for 3 reasons, (1) the price (2) the "look" (3) the roof.
    If thats all you want from a car fair enough......All i was getting at is there is better convertibles on the market.

I appreciate that.

However, it's neither marketed nor sold as a 'drivers' car, so that criticism is hardly valid. In that case it's case it mutton dressed as.......mutton?

Quality issues - quite possibly. But does that make it any worse than any other car ? - the pages of this forum are littered with experiences of so-called 'quality' cars which have not lived up to expectations. I've had 2 x new Renaults + 1 used one (all since 00), and I've never that the disasters that seem to befall some people. I found them good enough after the 1st to buy two more, subsequently - I wouldn't have done that if they were breaking my heart mechanically. I know someone with a Megane coupe they bought new in 00, and now has 100k+ miles on it, and it's a minter and hasn't given any trouble.

And like you said, price does come into it. You cannot criticise a car which has low(er) resale value than some other one, if you're buying at a big discount (which from NI, you will...). If it was that good, it would't be cheap. There is a trade-off in the process.

And yes, the look, and the roof are a big thing. That's why the OP wants a convertible - all this talk of Lancers is a red herring........the look is subjective. If OP likes it, that's all that matters, really. Similarly aged cabrios from other mfrs are no beauties, either........

And whatever about others, the fact that the Megane has some sort of rear seats (important if you've got kids) makes it much more useful than say a 206cc or Tigra. I've got an MX-5, and it gets very little use, for that very reason.....

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

Stekelly wrote: »
    How do you take the top down on a Lancer? A tim opener?

this'll do it

67.jpg

I appreciate that.

However, it's neither marketed nor sold as a 'drivers' car, so that criticism is hardly valid. In that case it's case it mutton dressed as.......mutton?

Quality issues - quite possibly. But does that make it any worse than any other car ? - the pages of this forum are littered with experiences of so-called 'quality' cars which have not lived up to expectations. I've had 2 x new Renaults + 1 used one (all since 00), and I've never that the disasters that seem to befall some people. I found them good enough after the 1st to buy two more, subsequently - I wouldn't have done that if they were breaking my heart mechanically. I know someone with a Megane coupe they bought new in 00, and now has 100k+ miles on it, and it's a minter and hasn't given any trouble.

And like you said, price does come into it. You cannot criticise a car which has low(er) resale value than some other one, if you're buying at a big discount (which from NI, you will...). If it was that good, it would't be cheap. There is a trade-off in the process.

And yes, the look, and the roof are a big thing. That's why the OP wants a convertible - all this talk of Lancers is a red herring........the look is subjective. If OP likes it, that's all that matters, really. Similarly aged cabrios from other mfrs are no beauties, either........

And whatever about others, the fact that the Megane has some sort of rear seats (important if you've got kids) makes it much more useful than say a 206cc or Tigra. I've got an MX-5, and it gets very little use, for that very reason.....

I totally agree here

I appreciate that.

Fair points....although you have more or less echoed what i said.
    As a person who is passionate about cars i cant find much to redeem the Megane convertible, i guess it is what it is and it is squarly aimed at a certain market, mosly middle aged women.
    The Op did ask for our opinions on these matters.........
    BTW....Your MX5......Would you swap it for a Megane cabrio?....................................

Hey, don't knock it - I know someone who IS passionate about......Renaults ! (Hi, Ray :D)

Junkyard is too, but he's in denial........he's just trying to keep the prices down, and is secretly hoarding piles of 02 Laguna gearboxes........;)

MX-5 for Megane.........mmmmmmmm.........I wouldn't automatically say 'no'. There again, you haven't seen the state of my MX :)

Ode To The Motorist

I bought it and I'm loving it. Hope we have the same type of April that we had last year :D

It's under warranty till July but I'm going to get an extended warranty from Renault for 1 year, costs €300. Not bad at all!

Advertisement