Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions about Polish immigrants

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Jackus wrote: »
    Polish reckon that Irish are bad educated
    Mairt wrote: »
    As regards the education, to an extent I agree with you. BUt I feel that the fault of government/education policy but in the last ten year's thats been changing alot, and for the better.

Apologies I haven't read any of this thread but as regards to these statements, I would have thought we're very fortunate in Ireland to be given such a great education no? Even teachers have said it down through the years "you lot are very lucky, you should feel very fortunate that not all other countries are given the opportunity to a brilliant education like yourselves".

Now obviously thats not word for word :) but you get the jist.
    Irish are more outgoing than Polish i think

Very true...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I didn't think so. It would be a bit difficult, in fairness. As they say around here, when mairt is cheering you on, its time to hang up the internet.

I've never heard that saying before..... must be a new one.

In fairness Sam, you are just constantly negative towards immigrants and it gets a bit much at times.

Hhmm the traditonal Irish method is to jump on each other consuming copious amounts of dutch courage.
    I thought ye might be a bit more sophisicated :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jamaica

Jackus a question.

What is the general opinon of the Irish in the Polish community?.

And apart from economic reason's what else did you expect you'd find in Ireland?.

We've a reputation for being friendly people, did you find that.

We've also a reputation for having a beautiful countryside, whats your opinion on it?.

I know the question was addressed to Jackus but being as Polish as one can be I feel an inner urge to post some answers as well. Hope I'm not jumping the queue...;)

One of the most breathtaking landscapes I've ever seen. The reputation of being friendly is seconded. Some Polish might find it suspicious. Again, a mentality difference - if you're walking down the Polish street all smiles saluting the passers by, you're lucky if you only get funny looks.;)
    I know many Polish find it easier to live in IE due to economy, less stressful environment, people friendly tax offices, etc. My friends complain at the weather and food though. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Jackus

Cheeky and Mait: In Poland, say You want to be a carpenter, You go to school and they teach You many, sometimes useless things. They teach You: History of Poland and World, physics, chemistry, german language, and many many others. Sh*t it wasn't good example :confused:
    It's like primary school plus carpenter things.
    I don't know but I think irish carpenter knows more about wood and craft than Polish carpenter. Let's ask some of them :D

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Hhmm the traditonal Irish method is to jump on each other consuming copious amounts of dutch courage.
    I thought ye might be a bit more sophisicated :D
    Isn't more efficient? i have to try it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm really enjoying this thread. Its like an extention of my conversations with Polish friends.

This whole thing about us being friendly and getting ignored is new to me.

Like everyone else here I'm complained about "those ignorant Polish fvckers" when I'm blanked after giving a big friendly "Hi, how ya doing" and a nod of the head. But its becoming clear now .... you all think we're nutcase's :D

Thats funny.

I've noticed one polish female friend mimic some of my actions ***a wink*** "Hiya Martin, whats de craic?".

It was funny one day when she was going to use the loo and said "back in a minute, I've to take a sh*t" BWAHAHAHAHAH... I said "Agnas&*%@ka THATS NOT WHAT YOU SAY HERE", "Just say 'back in a minute I'm using the loo".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

jdivision wrote: »
    And what about the boom before that? And now who would do those jobs if immigrants weren't doing them? how would the wages have increased (we effectively have full employment)? What would inflation be like then?
    Actually the central bank released a report stating that the Irish property market was seriously overvalued back in 2000. It should have deflated in 2001, but interest rates were floored for various reasons.

Eh I wrote a lot more than this, but then I realised I have no idea what "would have" happened. I only know what has happened, and its a bit pointless talking about the what ifs at this stage.

The point I am trying to make (and the original point I am responding to) is that the economic "success" of Ireland over the last few years has not been derived from migrants, nor is it dependant on them.
    eo980 wrote:
    In fairness Sam, you are just constantly negative towards immigrants and it gets a bit much at times.
    Actually I was one of the few who attempted to understand the position of the Roma gypsies in a ferocious debate a while back, and I got dogpiled for it too. Your SO is Polish, so its understandable that you will constantly speak in their defence, but I'm trying to take a realistic view of the situation in Ireland, and base my opinions upon as many facts as I can find, which I have supplied in copious amounts in this thread. If the facts change, then so will my opinion.

Calling that a blanket "dislike for immigrants" is pretty disingenuous.

Actually I was one of the few who attempted to understand the position of the Roma gypsies in a ferocious debate a while back, and I got dogpiled for it too. Your SO is Polish, so its understandable that you will constantly speak in their defence, but I'm trying to take a realistic view of the situation in Ireland, and base my opinions upon as many facts as I can find, which I have supplied in copious amounts in this thread. If the facts change, then so will my opinion.

Calling that a blanket "dislike for immigrants" is pretty disingenuous.

I remember that thread and you were very fair, on that occasion. Indeed my OS is Polish but I don't blindly defend them, only when there are idiotic accusations levelled at them or any other immigrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

I didn't think so. It would be a bit difficult, in fairness.

Hardly. You contradicted yourself and I was simply bringing that to light. If you had a modicum of intelligence beyond empty rhetoric and baseless assertions then I'd engage in debate with you.

• Advertisement

It was funny one day when she was going to use the loo and said "back in a minute, I've to take a sh*t" BWAHAHAHAHAH... I said "Agnas&*%@ka THATS NOT WHAT YOU SAY HERE", "Just say 'back in a minute I'm using the loo".
    hahahah. Sounds like a part of "Borat" movie. But yeah, thats true, sh*t happens sometimes to us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

We've also a reputation for having a beautiful countryside, whats your opinion on it?.

Absolutely! The countryside is great. Especialy all the unique views like a Clifs of Moher or Arann Islands.

The only thing I don't like in Ireland is the weather. Especialy the rain. I think most of Polish sometimes miss Polish weather which includes sunny summers, not much of rain and snowly winter.
    And apart from economic reason's what else did you expect you'd find in Ireland?.

We've a reputation for being friendly people, did you find that.

And that's true. Your kindness is one of the cuases they chose Ireland.

I remember when I was lost one day somewhere in the Tirrelan in Galway and I'v ask one man about how to get to my destination. He told me everything in every detail, showed me his map of Galway. He gave me his mobile to make a call and even invided me for the dinner with his family!! :)

I just only asked how to get there! :) I was like a OH MY GOD!!

That was my first proofe of Irish kindness. :)

WooPeeA wrote: »
    I was like a OH MY GOD!!

bahahahaha thats classic!! haha

hahahah. Sounds like a part of "Borat" movie. But yeah, thats true, sh*t happens sometimes to us :)

Thats funny because I was telling her (I was joking with this) that I was thinking of going to the capital of Poland ... 'Kazakhstan' :D

I was surprised one night when I compared Polish to the Russians. We were talking about sports and I was telling her about how good Russians are at Judo (I'm a Judo fighter) and asked did Polish people play alot of sports in school like the Russians do.

Then she turned nasty :o

She was also telling me how German people look down on the Polish. Told me a few stories, really sad considering how friendly I've found any Poles who I've become friends with.

Oh jesus, one other mistake I made... I drank Zubrowka neat!. :mad: How was I suppose to know I should have taken it with apple juice!.

Laslo wrote: »
    Hardly. You contradicted yourself and I was simply bringing that to light. If you had a modicum of intelligence beyond empty rhetoric and baseless assertions then I'd engage in debate with you.
    Okay, so tell me, how does having about 1% of the workforce employed in construction being migrants, equate to the economy depending on migrants? Or did you miss the rest of that quotation, you know, the part where it said that migrant involvement in the construction industry is massively overstated?

Numerical literacy isn't the only shortcoming you have, however, reading doesn't appear to be one of your strong points either, since you missed all the links I supplied in my "baseless assertions".
    eo980 wrote: »
    I remember that thread and you were very fair, on that occasion. Indeed my OS is Polish but I don't blindly defend them, only when there are idiotic accusations levelled at them or any other immigrants.
    Well when you feel I am making idiotic assertions, please dispute them. I quite enjoy being corrected, since I come away better educated than I was before. Be prepared to back yourself up, though. I think I have backed up all the points I have been making fairly adequately.

I'm really enjoying this thread. Its like an extention of my conversations with Polish friends.

This whole thing about us being friendly and getting ignored is new to me.

Like everyone else here I'm complained about "those ignorant Polish fvckers" when I'm blanked after giving a big friendly "Hi, how ya doing" and a nod of the head. But its becoming clear now .... you all think we're nutcase's :D

In some point Yes :D It's like traveling over one of the Arabian countries for some of them! ;)

They all will respond to you one day, it's just a matter of time.

Mairt wrote:
    Oh jesus, one other mistake I made... I drank Zubrowka neat!. How was I suppose to know I should have taken it with apple juice!.
    LOL.. Polish are always using juice after vodka. :D One day I'v seen Russians drinking vodka shots using tea glasses!! :D

She was also telling me how German people look down on the Polish.
    There is a joke in Germany according to few polish car-thiefs in Germany. Sounds like advertisement of tourism in Poland: "Go to Poland! Your car is already there!"
    Oh jesus, one other mistake I made... I drank Zubrowka neat!. :mad: How was I suppose to know I should have taken it with apple juice!.
    Don't worry I do it often. But now I drink something stronger - rakija from croatia, 45%. Neat of course. Want to taste it? :)

It's not a faux pas, really;).
    It just tastes better with the juice...

:D

• Advertisement

WooPeeA wrote: »
    LOL.. Polish are always using juice after vodka. :D One day I'v seen Russians drinking vodka shots using tea glasses!! :D
    I've had vodka with pickles with a crowd of Russians a few times - its a bit like lemons and tequila. One thing they told me though, if you pour the vodka over your wrist, rather than in the direction of the thumb, its a killing insult to the person you are pouring for. Is it the same in Poland?

The Polish people I know drink Guinness through a straw......even the men. ~headshake~

The Polish people I know drink Guinness through a straw......even the men. ~headshake~

Get a bad one (Guinness not Polish :D ) and you can sh*t it out through a straw the next day too!.

One thing they told me though, if you pour the vodka over your wrist, rather than in the direction of the thumb, its a killing insult to the person you are pouring for. Is it the same in Poland?
    Oh yeah. Somebody told me that, i forgot who (probably my mother :eek:). But it means something different. I forgot what (you will be more sick than others or something like that)

Well when you feel I am making idiotic assertions, please dispute them. I quite enjoy being corrected, since I come away better educated than I was before. Be prepared to back yourself up, though. I think I have backed up all the points I have been making fairly adequately.

Now now I wasn't thinking of you when I said that.

Yeah... Had to get rid of the habit of drinking through a straw as I got drunk too quickly. Plus my friends would laugh at me saying: you're supposed to sip it...
    Now I sip the drinks and Guinness and other alcoholic beverages. It helps survive the night and remember things.

Never seen a man drinking anything other than coke through a straw...

• Advertisement

I've had vodka with pickles with a crowd of Russians a few times - its a bit like lemons and tequila. One thing they told me though, if you pour the vodka over your wrist, rather than in the direction of the thumb, its a killing insult to the person you are pouring for. Is it the same in Poland?
    I heard that about Russians but I'v never seen anything like that in Poland.
    Jackus wrote:
    There is a joke in Germany according to few polish car-thiefs in Germany. Sounds like advertisement of tourism in Poland: "Go to Poland! Your car is already there!"
    I heard that before. And you know what? That made me laugh! That was just a emphasizing stereotypes joke. I think Polish people shouldn't offence so much just because of the jokes about them.

Oh yeah. Somebody told me that, i forgot who (probably my mother :eek:). But it means something different. I forgot what (you will be more sick than others or something like that)
    As I recall, they said something along the lines of "its bad luck". I guess it is bad luck to be beaten up by a crowd of angry Russians. :D
    eo980 wrote: »
    Now now I wasn't thinking of you when I said that.
    Not a bother.

Okay, so tell me, how does having about 1% of the workforce employed in construction being migrants, equate to the economy depending on migrants?

Your figures are wrong. It's over 10%.

I would post a link but I'd rather you look it up for yourself.
    Or did you miss the rest of that quotation, you know, the part where it said that migrant involvement in the construction industry is massively overstated?

Yes and you've gone and understated it with your incorrect figures. Assuming your incredibly simplistic, lazy logic that the economy is completely dependent on construction and housing and the actual statistics regarding the % of workers who are migrants, then migrants are responsible for over 10% of the economy. (That obviously doesn't include the tens of millions who are working 2 hours shifts a week in Centra of course :rolleyes:)
    Numerical literacy isn't the only shortcoming you have, however, reading doesn't appear to be one of your strong points either, since you missed all the links I supplied in my "baseless assertions".

I didn't miss anything. It's just that you were going around in circles and not actually making a point of any kind. As I said, I'd rather engage in intelligent debate and not getting into a sparring match with someone who doesn't have a clue with they're talking about. As for my numerical literacy - well I'm a professional software engineer so I think that speaks volumes about another one of your brain-dead assertions.
    Well when you feel I am making idiotic assertions, please dispute them. I quite enjoy being corrected

I corrected you. See above.
    Be prepared to back yourself up, though.

No. Migrants make up about 10% of construction sector. Fact. Look it up. I don't have to back up anything.

Laslo I note that you have still not denied all knowledge if the intelligent, well researched viewpoint on Drakkarts Blog?

Jamaica, what is your opinion of Polish men, and their chat up techniques?

btw don't pass any heed on the hundred or so sniviling after hour patrons who are about to burst your accounts inbox with pm's begging for affection.
    There is a reason their own have rejected them ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Wtf is going on here?This thread is 4 pages long and there's still no sign of Ned78 jumping in to defend the Polish in fear that his Polish girlfriend might read boards and smack him around for not defending her honour.

• Advertisement

Your figures are wrong. It's over 10%.

I would post a link but I'd rather you look it up for yourself.
    Maybe you should have taken English comprehension rather than software engineering. I said 1% (around 20k) of the workforce (around 2 million). Still with us?
    Employment in the construction sector in Ireland accounts for a total of 252,100 jobs- this from a total of 1,929,800 employed persons in Ireland. AIB's report, meanwhile, indicates that only 22,600 non-nationals are employed in construction. Conversely, 27,800 non-nationals are employed in manufacturing, 23,100 in the hospitality industry and 21,500 in financial and business services. Not only is the construction sector not 'flooded' with immigrants, it's not even particularly representative of what non-Irish nationals are employed to do.
    And there is your 10%, in the article snippet I quoted, which you apparently didn't bother to read. Of course, you're missing that 90% of the construction sector is Irish. Hardly dependent now, is it?
    Yes and you've gone and understated it with your incorrect figures.
    Learn to read.
    Assuming your incredibly simplistic, lazy logic that the economy is completely dependent on construction
    I said the economic boom. And as it turns out, the economy is dependent on construction. Its not the only thing, but its one of the foundation stones. You didn't fit in any basic economics in your software engineering course, did you.
    As for my numerical literacy - well I'm a professional software engineer so I think that speaks volumes about another one of your brain-dead assertions.
    You're working on vista and duke nukem forever as we speak, no doubt.
    I corrected you. See above.
    Good man. In order to correct someone, you need first to be correct, however, which is your weak point.
    No. Migrants make up about 10% of construction sector. Fact. Look it up. I don't have to back up anything.
    I don't need to look it up, I was the one who posted it originally. Roll on with another font-tastic owned there, mairt.

rb_ie wrote: »
    Wtf is going on here?This thread is 4 pages long and there's still no sign of Ned78 jumping in to defend the Polish in fear that his Polish girlfriend might read boards and smack him around for not defending her honour.
    maybe he lies on the floor after heavy smacking and can't even reach keyboard? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

peckerhead wrote: »
    Oh yeah :P My favourite video :) My girlfriend is safe anyway :)

Jamaica, what is your opinion of Polish men, and their chat up techniques?

Well.. As everywhere there are nice guys and muppets. However, if I'm meant to generalise, I do think Polish men are more forward and rough. Talking to Irish guys is a lot more pleasant as they seem genuinely interested in who you are, and focus on having a good laugh etc. Now, I realise this is just some sort of a technique... In that respect, I don't think Polish lads use any techniques apart from being straight to the point. ;) And sometimes can be rude if not successful. Some of them, naturally. Some of the men I've met in my life sounds better...

Maybe you should have taken English comprehension rather than software engineering. I said 1% (around 20k) of the workforce (around 2 million).

If you learned how to write English properly we might know what you're blabbering on about. *sigh* I'm bored now. I'm happy to concede that migrant workers have absolutely no positive effects on our economy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

My decyphering machine isn't working today, can someone translate?.

i doubt it's just your deciphering machine that is not working today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I don't have much of an opinion on Polish people.
    Any of the ones that I have come across have seemed to be friendly, decent, hard working types.
    I don't know any socially and I don't know anyone who has any Polish friends.
    Like most other immigrants to Ireland they don't seem to integrate into the community much, they seem to stick with their own.

I don't like the way that Eastern European workers have taken so many jobs, particularly in the construcion industry, but I'd blame the government for this as opposed to the Eastern Europeans themselves.

Where did you go to school?

I work with a few, my bosses are from Poland also and they are extremely nice friendly people who are so down to earth. Any of the lads in work are extremely nice and very helpful if possible.

As for them not intergrating much, I would say this opinion is made up on the basis of absolutley nothing. What on earth is indicating that they make less efforts than others?

I have found them all to be extremely welcoming people and as for a question being made regarding such an issue, keep it to your pub table of **** talk.

People are people. Why would a Polish person not want to make friends in Ireland compared to an Irish person in Poland? I find the view made here to be completely idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

JayD, perhaps you should read posts more carefully before posting your comments.
    I never made an issue of whether Polish people are 'welcoming' or not.
    I'm sure they're as welcoming as anyone else.
    In response to the OP all I expressed in my post were my own views / observations and I stand by them.

From what I have seen of most immigrants / migrants that come to Ireland they tend to stick to their own, who could blame them.
    Obviously this won't apply to all Polish people.
    Any time I've ever encountered Polish people out at night, at the gym, at
    the shops, etc.
    They've either been on their own or in the company of other non-Irish people who I've presumed to also be Polish.

I personally haven't encountered any non-nationals who have integrated into the community.
    This is a public formum where people express their own views / opinions.
    I expressed my own views based on my own personal observations.
    I never claimed that my views gave an accurate description of the majority of Polish people in Ireland, I don't know if they do or not.

I think you should be less quick to criticise and have more respect for other posters.
    I don't think my post could be found to have been offensive to anyone and I feel that posts like yours can only have the effect of making people more hesitant to post and this can only be a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I'm wondering why u wrote so many words to describe one stupid girl ? stupid people are everywhere - some of them are english, some polish, some irish some nigerian etc. everyone knows few stories about how stupid human can be.

Not longer than 3 days ago I saw L driver on Blanchardstown M50 roundabout trying to get onto roundabout turning right !!!!! about 10 cars started to use horns, and stupid girl turned around ............ I could imagine what nationality she is but it is easier to say that she is a human being. and humans make mistakes.

I think perhaps you should read my post again.

You'll see at the end that I say you can't tar every Polish person with one brush and like Irish people you'll meet all kinds. You seem to have ignored that part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Here's how I look at any and all immigrants (same as anyone else really), if they work hard and obey the law then I have absolutely no problem with them.

As for my experience of Polish immigrants, I haven't a bad thing to say, all the Polish people I've known have been very nice and polite.

Maybe I'm odd but I like the thought of Ireland having more immigrants, it always makes me smile when I meet them and and their kids have a half Irish accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Irish women are slightly proportionately better looking. Although Poland has less fat women. Anyone who thinks otherwise usually hasnt met more than 3 Poles.

visited poland a few months back. The standard of women was infinitely better than it is in Ireland. Also goes for the few polish girls I know (not that many admittedly). The polish girls also don't seem to like pies as much as Irish women.

rb_ie wrote: »

Maybe Ned has realised this is After Hours and its not worth it. How many threads have we had on Polish/Eastern European people in the last year?!

This thread is pretty pointless, as some people have already said you get good and bad everywhere. By asking the question "Opinion about Polish immigrants" you're opening yourself up to many different type of opinions. I've had good experiences with them especially in the gym, they are actually very nice (I know I may have said the opposite not too long ago but that was a whole different story :)) but then again in delis I've found some of them to be quite rude. Same with every other nationality. There are good and bad, they're not all perfect nor are we so I can't see how people have been arguing in this thread! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    This thread is pretty pointless, as some people have already said you get good and bad everywhere. By asking the question "Opinion about Polish immigrants" you're opening yourself up to many different type of opinions. I've had good experiences with them especially in the gym, they are actually very nice (I know I may have said the opposite not too long ago but that was a whole different story :)) but then again in delis I've found some of them to be quite rude. Same with every other nationality. There are good and bad, they're not all perfect nor are we so I can't see how people have been arguing in this thread! :rolleyes:

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hexx

My ex husband had 19 polish working under him. The majority were fine. People working hard and sending money home. But there were the few that caused problems, but as others have said that happens when you get any group congregating abroad. The Irish have the ability to do it down to a tee. I know one particular individual who works hard, who enjoyed his few drinks, but thinks nothing of the two girls and his wife at home. Doesn't want to bring them here but is building his house based on what he earns here. It's getting to the stage now that wages in Poland have increased to a level that they are comparable with here. Unfortunately the working conditions haven't. I have absolutely no problem with the majority of Polish people here in the same way as I have no problem with the majority of Irish people here.

I like them

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 hexx

I like them

:)

Very informative that.

How about Polish drivers? Any experiences on the road?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭hairyfish

I have a polish lodger living with me and i have to say he's better than any irish person / irish idiot i've had lodge with me...

I mean if all the polish people decided to leave the country tomorrow we'd be back in the dark ages...fact!

Dude that lives with me and reckons Poland is now turning into what Ireland was about 10 years ago, coming out of a slow period with more and more people / workers coming home.

Advertisement