Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions about Polish immigrants

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Raekwon wrote: »
    That person should just say "I live in Finglas, and if you have a problem with that then that's your problem, not mine". Do you know what I mean?

I do, that's why i only sometimes get defensive about it ;-)

I've been known to use the term myslef as well to be honest.

As for EE women - you and eo are right, it can be hard work. A lot of them still have this frame of mind, that you have to be married by the time you are 25. They also tend to be a bit clingy, don't really understand the concept of going somewhere just "with the lads" for example.

They have good sense to want to be married by 25, if the have the right person.
    We are going to get screwed by the fertility gods as a generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Poland is in central Europe, most academic publications consider it such.

Accounts vary, but nearly all of them include Poland within central Europe, even if a few others are 50/50 depending on the source. Someone quoted the CIA as an indication that Poland was in Eastern Europe, I'm actually pretty sure that they class Poland as Central Europe.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    They have good sense to want to be married by 25, if the have the right person.

The problem is that often all they need is a person. It doesn't have to be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

ojewriej wrote: »
    I do, that's why i only sometimes get defensive about it ;-)

I don't really blame you that much to be honest, unfortunately there are alot of ignorant people out there.
    As for EE women - you and eo are right, it can be hard work. A lot of them still have this frame of mind, that you have to be married by the time you are 25. They also tend to be a bit clingy, don't really understand the concept of going somewhere just "with the lads" for example.

Yeah I agree, I also find that they can be very hypocritical, she expects to have certain freedoms and I can't. For example, I get grilled when I want go on a weekend away with the lads yet she can go back home for the weekend at the drop of a hat with no questions asked :confused: But then again, ALL women are complicated in some way or another..........you just can't seem to win :)

• Advertisement

Accounts vary, but nearly all of them include Poland within central Europe, even if a few others are 50/50 depending on the source. Someone quoted the CIA as an indication that Poland was in Eastern Europe, I'm actually pretty sure that they class Poland as Central Europe.

That was me :) I said some sources contradict one another and I was refering to Wiki who state that the CIA classify Poland as part of Central Europe while the UN classify it as being part of Eastern Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lacrimosa

I think you have it the wrong way around there. Most Czech, Hungarian & Slovakians get mistaken for Polish all the time and by all accounts are not too impressed. Think about the percentage of those nationalities in this country compared to the percentage of Polish in this country. It doesn't really compare.

approx. 3 pages from here :-)

Apparently you didn't understand the message/irony/joke (call it whatever you want), though I'm not really eager to explain.

Somebody mentioned this on another thread and it made me laugh :D It's like a person from Finglas saying that are from Glasnevin or a person from Ballymun saying that they are from Santry. Total snobbery.

Poland IS in Eastern Europe whether you like to admit it or not. Central Europe would consist of countries like Switzerland, Germany, Austria, etc. The only Eastern European county that could be considered to be Central European would be the Czech Republic which is sandwiched between Germany & Austria, but even then Czech's know that they are Eastern European and don't try to hide that fact.

I'm not going to ask if you have anything to defend your thesis as I've already learned (through reading the post afterwards) that you don't. So, unless you can come up with some facts, going for such imperative tune seems only funny for me...

As a matter of fact, besides geographical location Central Europe is also about cultural & historical heritage (re democracy, commitment to individual freedom rights, individual property rights, etc.) that does make a difference in comparison with former Soviet Union countries.

And that terminology started well before in eg. Ireland people started to call Poles Eastern Europeans...

lacrimosa wrote: »
    Blah, blah, blah

:: Yawn ::

Why don't you tell somebody who actually cares. If you want to be in denial about where you come from then that is your prerogative. This topic is dead and buried now as far as I'm concerned.

:: Yawn ::

"blah, blah, blah"
    erm, did I say that?
    Why don't you tell somebody who actually cares. If you want to be in denial about where you come from then that is your prerogative. This topic is dead and buried now as far as I'm concerned.

I say it to you. You care, don't you?

Anyway, nice talking to you. Just don't forget to take your pills this evening, will you.

;)

The problem is that often all they need is a person. It doesn't have to be right.

For a marraige to work you don't need to find the perfect one.
    You just need two people who fit well and feel passionate about being a family.
    Lots of people settle for the wrong person when the time, regardless of their age.

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    For a marraige to work you don't need to find the perfect one.
    You just need two people who fit well and feel passionate about being a family.
    Lots of people settle for the wrong person when the time, regardless of their age.

That's all fair enough.

All I'm saying is that Polish people, and girls in particular, tend to start thinking about marriage good bit earlier than Irish lads. Which can cause frictions in IE/PL relationships.

@lacrimosa - what's the point in starting the argument again?

"blah, blah, blah"
    erm, did I say that?

I say it to you. You care, don't you?

Anyway, nice talking to you. Just don't forget to take your pills this evening, will you.

;)

You still here??? Nice comeback btw ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You still here??? Nice comeback btw ;)

Sssh Raekwon you shouldn't argue with idiots. :D

eo980 wrote: »
    Sssh Raekwon you shouldn't argue with idiots. :D

QFT :D

That's all fair enough.

All I'm saying is that Polish people, and girls in particular, tend to start thinking about marriage good bit earlier than Irish lads. Which can cause frictions in IE/PL relationships.

Irish lads weren't trained to think about these things off their own initiative! :D
    Their bachelor resolve will melt like butter when PL g/f threathens to remove the hot and cold running dinners. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

What a pointless thread... I certainly won't support by ... doh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Myself I never had anytime for the polak's but I got talking to a very nice Polish couple 2 weeks back on a friday night. They really changed my outlook. Dont think I've ever met such nice people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Re: Central vs Eastern Europe

The Polish are so attached to the Central Europe notion because in Polish/German/Austrian cultural or political studies the term Mitteleuropa (German for Middle/Central Europe) has a long and established position. It refers to several countries - definitely including Poland - and has to do with historical political plans of the Austria-Hungary empire. It's frequently used in broadsheet papers or in fact anywhere for political analysis and educated Polish people are very much used to it.
    More about Mitteleuropa:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitteleuropa

The Polish may be oversensitive to the issue as Eastern Europe is a name used rather for former Soviet Union republics (Belarus, Ukraine etc.). Poland - contrary to popular belief - has never been a USSR republic, hence the reaction!

Pure personal point. Until yesterday hadn't been aware that this thread was moving forward, in part. on the grounds of what I posted re Eastern/ Central Europe.

I always appreciate exchange of opinions; even more when it's held with a bit of spice as in the (real) life of political correctness one wouldn't have that opportunity too often...

Pure personal point. Until yesterday hadn't been aware that this thread was moving forward, in part. on the grounds of what I posted re Eastern/ Central Europe.

I always appreciate exchange of opinions; even more when it's held with a bit of spice as in the (real) life of political correctness one wouldn't have that opportunity too often...

That's all great, did you not notice though that the point you made was already covered in more than one post, things got a bit heated for a short while, then all misunderstandings were explained, it's all done and dusted, then you come and start to kick it off again? What's the point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

I have a lot of Polish customers, there pritty nice people even when drunk but if you drive you'd better feckin hope they don't crash into you because most don't have insurance trust me I know:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭teetotaller

I have a lot of Polish customers, ..... most don't have insurance trust me I know:confused:

I know a lot of Irish people , most don't have insurance, tax, and nct - trust me I know !!!!

Ya I know but most of the time you can chase them , the others do a ryan air special before the court date i've had first hand experience of this.

A Polish p**** national on the wrong side of the road on a bend. It was head on, and my car tumbled through a ditch into a field. Guards recon it was 140 mph impact. The car cost me 37k last sept sold it last week for fkn 3k

The police were on his case at the time, he was drunk at the time of the accident but the doc in the hospital wouldn't let them take a breath or blood sample due to his bad condition. He also has no INSURANCE "only in Ireland" if that was you or me in Poland we'd be in fkn jail.

The Police "quote"expct him to return to Poland before the court date".

A Livid D.

"only in Ireland" if that was you or me in Poland we'd be in fkn jail.

A Livid D.

How do you know that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

How do you know that?

ojewriej. Do a search on 'Polish' in After Hours and you'll see the countless threads there have been. You'll also see many posts from myself defending polish people and many from ned78. It's gotten so rediculous that ned just doesn't bother coming into After Hours anymore. People are biased and prejudice and you just cab't argue with idiots. You're fighting a noble but futile cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

ojewriej. Do a search on 'Polish' in After Hours and you'll see the countless threads there have been. You'll also see many posts from myself defending polish people and many from ned78. It's gotten so rediculous that ned just doesn't bother coming into After Hours anymore. People are biased and prejudice and you just cab't argue with idiots. You're fighting a noble but futile cause.

There is no point in trying to defend polish people they dont need a defense there is nothing they have done wrong

Lets the idiots have their rants

OK Folks time to set you straight. The first thing is I am alive and lucky to be and so is he.

The second I really do not have a problem with Polish Latvian's etc. I lived abroad for years in many different countries and enjoyed the experiences and the people very much.

Immigrants add spice and culture to any country and Ireland really needed this divercity it's a better because of it.

I have a lot of eastern european and international customers and I can tell you they are a hell of a lot nicer than some of my Irish customers.

My problem is the system that allows uninsured drucken drivers destroying their own and other peoples lives.

I hope this experience does not come close to you or your loved ones i really do.

D.

I know, I used to follow that as a guest before I started writing here. I actually found the boards by typing "****ing polish" (or something like that) into google.ie. I remember there was one fella, (don't remember his name, he had something which looked like Danish flag in his sig) he would just post links to the stories about crimes commited by foreigners as his arguments. It was pretty funny actually.

I'm really bored today to be honest, that's why I replied to that. And who knows, maybe he does knows that.

To be honest I think you folks are sitting there waiting to play the race card instead of really reading and analizing the posts and what they say, now I didn't see the other posts only going by this one.

Have a nice weekend D.

• Advertisement

To be honest I think you folks are sitting there waiting to play the race card instead of really reading and analizing the posts and what they say, now I didn't see the other posts only going by this one.

Have a nice weekend D.

Now that's not fair. I asked you a valid question, basically asking you to support a statement you made with facts.

Horrible thing happened to you, and I do feel sorry for you but if you are going to make a statement like "I'm sure in Poland I would be in jail for that" on a public forum, be prepared that soemeone will contest it.

I never implied that you had a problem with foreigners.

That's all great, did you not notice though that the point you made was already covered in more than one post, things got a bit heated for a short while, then all misunderstandings were explained, it's all done and dusted, then you come and start to kick it off again? What's the point?

Oh well, if you find my previous reply insufficient we can put it down to me just messing a bit :).

But from what I've read your posts it this thread must say those were well balanced. Fair played to you.

Enjoy your weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I've come across people I like and didn't like (one put me in an awkward position in work last summer) but you'll get that from every nationality including our own.

Much more more partial to African people. All very nice and easy going and hard working too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

The only experience I've had of Polish people are the girls who work in one of my local supermarkets. I have to say I've always warmed towards them. They work their arses off in that shop doing ten and twelve hour shifts and they always have a smile for you, even when you run in the door at five to nine and are the last person in the shop, therefore hindering them from shutting up and going home. That's rare in the Irish attitude, in my experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Sadly, I feel I don't know enough about them to have an opinion. They are VERY like Irish people from what I have experienced, their history and culture is quite similar, they spent a lot of time under foreign rule and have that repressed catholic psyche. Most I find quite decent.

Generally I find those who appear not to be so nice just don't speak English, most are pretty much same as any Irish person I'd meet.

I will say, one of my bestest friends lived there for 2 years and has great respect for them, I don't like it when I hear nasty and untrue comments about them, they are pretty fine in general, just like vast majority of people who migrate here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

If there was as many Irish immigrants in poland as there is Polish in Ireland,their would be an outcry.Everybody knowns the truth so i'll say no more...I'll be banned for speaking my mind so I won't (sorry heroes of 1916-still can't say what you truely believe)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

berliner wrote: »
    If there was as many Irish immigrants in poland as there is Polish in Ireland,their would be an outcry.Everybody knowns the truth so i'll say no more...I'll be banned for speaking my mind so I won't (sorry heroes of 1916-still can't say what you truely believe)

I wouldn't think so.
    A massive country like Poland with a population of just under 40 million could more easily deal with immigration of hundreds of thousands of Irish people then the other way around.

I'm making any points on if immigration is good or bad, just a simple point on how a large country can manage far better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

micmclo wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so.
    A massive country like Poland with a population of just under 40 million could more easily deal with immigration of hundreds of thousands of Irish people then the other way around.

I'm making any points on if immigration is good or bad, just a simple point on how a large country can manage far better

I'd disagree here, thousands of Ukrainian nationals have been moving to Poland to fill the gaps left by the Polish labour exodus to the EU. I have spoken to some Ukrainian migrants first hand and it seems they face pretty much the same issues that pollish migrants face here. Maybe Poland can cope with it better as a nation than Ireland, but the Ukrainians do receive a fair bit of the old narrow minded 'their taking our jobs' etc despite the fact they are contributing to the Polish economy and society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

You can always phone Joe mf'in Duffy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

(sorry heroes of 1916-still can't say what you truely believe)

Ah yes the heroes of the Somme, or do you mean Verdun?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I work with a good few of them, the lads are all hard workers, sound and give me good advice for weightlifting. And the woman bar none are sexy, though that could just be the way my standards have gone lately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Forky - it is becouse of fact, that in Poland we use official language. Most of people don't say "u" to person that is not known to us. Mr, Mrs, Sir etc are used on a regular basis. We don't say hello, hi how are u to people we don't know and meet on the street.
    We usualy don't say hello to neighbours from our street we don't know.

It is different here in Ireland and I like it, but it must take some time before polish and other people will start to be more friendly to other unkown... :)

So u can't take personally that somebody doesn't say hello to u as this one of differences between our cultures.

But when u start talking, or ask for help, or give some help etc etc any polish neightbour will start to say hello to u as first one.

I have met very nice Polish people in different countries I lived in. What you are referring to here is the difference about coming from a small country and a big country (4 million vs. 60 million). Polish people come from a country with pop'n equivalent of the UK.
    This is one of the good things about Ireland, saying hello to your neighbours and all that, it's actually quite rare in other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

one of me best mates over the past 2 years is polish and he is the soundest lad you could ever meet.

the 2 hottest birds at work are polish (no pics (yet:D) sorry) so, overall, yes, i do like the polish people.

have worked directly with about another 10 of them and cant fault them one bit.

as regards a few comments about them being lazy, there no more lazy than the irish people i work with, infact, i generally find them to be great workers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Polish threads are so 2007. This should be in the retro forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

damonjewel wrote: »
    Ah yes the heroes of the Somme, or do you mean Verdun?

I reckon he means the Somme, y'know the ones that actually had real guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Anarking

Jackus wrote: »
    BTW If You have any questions about polish do not hestitate to ask me. I will try to answer if i can

Yeah, can I get my phone back?

Anarking wrote: »
    Yeah, can I get my phone back?

No, sorry, it was already sold. For parts.

Proceeds will pay for three polish families to be smuggled here.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

WooPeeA wrote: »
    I wonder to know what is your personal opinion about Polish immigrants. Are you sick of them or like them? What do you think about your new Polish neighbours? Are there problems with them? Is it easy to work with them?

What about comparing them to other foriegn people in your neighbourhood?

It makes me laugh when people complain about them taking our jobs. People seem to have very short memories. Not so long ago it was the Irish who were going to the US and UK doing whatever job they could in order to be able send money home. But yet when things get better here, we close the doors?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

The only people I've ever had problems with in this country are Irish people. Usually wearing Celtic jerseys and keen to tell everybody how great Ireland is. 'Sell-thick's me loife, bud' etc

Every Pole I've met so far has been really decent. The ones living above me are model tenants. No noise, no loud parties. I'd take a building full of them if I could get rid of the culchies next door to them that regularly wake the entire neighbourhood at 4 in the morning on a weekday. Fécking pig-ignorant muck savages that they are.

Also, Eastern European women > Irish women

In summary: send us more Eastern Europeans

No, sorry, it was already sold. For parts.

Proceeds will pay for three polish families to be smuggled here.

Thanks

And I still haven't a Polish manfriend.
    I'm blaming you personally!

• Advertisement
Advertisement