Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

travel within ireland with pets

Options
  • 06-01-2008 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Im trying to find out if i can bring my cat on the train as i have to travel from limerick to dublin and I dont have a car.I cant seem to find any information on this on the net at all. Anyone has any information about this it would be greatly appreciated.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

In general you can bring cats on most trains if they are securely caged, but on certain trains (usually long distance) you will be asked to put them in the cargo carriage. Just don't mention it to anybody though and see if you can get away with having them sit beside you, I've done it a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ebutterfly

thanks soo much for the advice Ive been pretty worried aout this as I cant see any other way of getting him to Dublin. This country just doesnt cater for people who dont drive. I have a good carry case and il try and keep a low profile and see if i can take him on the train Id be worried about leaving him in a cargo carriage!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

i've often seen people on trains with cats, i myself have travelled on a train (from dublin to portlaois and vice versa) with both a puppy and a cat both in proper travel cages with no problem.

Advice would be to avoid the busy times and go midday and midweek if you can, you shouldn't have a problem.

I have also done the above on a coach, bus eireann, but it's very cramped and not comfortable, wouldnt do it for any longer than an hour or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

What's the story with dogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I didn't think you were allowed to take pets on the bus but I'm sure you can take dog's on the train.

• Advertisement

I'd be very interested. I'd love to take my dog for the occasional long (five- or six-hour) walk and it would be good to be able to take the train back.

Pity about the buses; the main reason I have a car is to take the dog to various walk sites, and I suspect it's the same for others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

kerrysgold wrote: »
    I didn't think you were allowed to take pets on the bus but I'm sure you can take dog's on the train.

When i lived in Walkinstown (Dublin) our vet was just near that big roundabout and we always got the 19a with our cat. The bus driver never said anything and he even cracked a smile the odd time when he seen me with the cat.

Cats, yes, I've taken buses with cats. But my dog is a bit bigger - she's a collie cross - and I don't know that bus drivers would allow her.

Though I suppose I *could* take the cat for the walk instead.

Advertisement