Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farseer trilogy-Robin Hobb

Options
  • 06-01-2008 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Have you guys encountered this writer Robin Hobb?
    These are, I think my new favourite books, even eclipsing Lord of the Rings (which tops my list). They're a call in sick to work, stay in bed, drinking tea all day just reading kinda book.. So brilliant. The quality of the writing is awesome.

Assassins Apprentice
    Royal Assassin
    Assassin's Quest

I'm just finishing the last one. It's fantasy, but not like any i've ever read, it's way more realistic & gritty.
    The author lives in Seattle now (or so the sleeve says) She's got a number of books set in the same world and i'm really looking forward to getting into them...
    Just a thumbs up if you're stuck for a good present or need a good read for yourself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

I havent read these ones but iv read the liveship traders trilogy,its very good,though the farseer trilogy is supposed to be the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

Liveship happens in the same world though Farseer seems to happen just before it. She goes back to the characters of Farseer in the Tawny man trilogy. Hafta say Farseer is so much better so far. I'm 2/3rds the way thrrough liveship 1 and it's just not working for me. She's taking far too long moving the story along, but i'm gonna stick with it & hope it gets good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

The order is

Farseer 1, 2, 3
    Liveship traders 1, 2, 3
    Tawny man 1, 2 ,3

Each series after farseer does make reference to events in each previous series (liveship is pretty much sparked by the events of farseer and in teh tawny man trilogy both sets of stories merge to a finale).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I have read this trilogy and enjoyed it but Hobb is only really a journeyman when it comes to fantasy IMO

I think I seen some comments on his work in the SCI-FI / Fantasy threads

Check it out

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I have read this trilogy and enjoyed it but Hobb is only really a journeyman when it comes to fantasy IMO

I think I seen some comments on his work in the SCI-FI / Fantasy threads

Check it out

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Robin Hobb is a she :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 whammy

god i cant stand robin hobb. just awful stuff, way too descriptive and boring. i avoid his/her ??? books like the plague!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanfear

I enjoyed Robin Hobb's books, have read them all except the liveship traders, and found them all good, probably enjoyed the Farseer ones the most. She may not be of the same calibre of Feist, Erikson etc, but still is an enjoyable read imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Jumpy wrote: »
    Robin Hobb is a she :)

I knew there was something :p as I said before; good but not great. I suppose fantasy is like parking cars or sense of direction:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Liveship happens in the same world though Farseer seems to happen just before it. She goes back to the characters of Farseer in the Tawny man trilogy. Hafta say Farseer is so much better so far. I'm 2/3rds the way thrrough liveship 1 and it's just not working for me. She's taking far too long moving the story along, but i'm gonna stick with it & hope it gets good.

yeah it was the same with me,it was a real struggle to keep with the series but its definitely worth it,the end to the second book is brilliant and the third book is very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I've read all her books, except those she wrote under the name Megan Lindholm (her real name).
    I thought most of them were superb. The liveship trilogy was my favourite. A lot does happen in it; I don't remember it dragging at any point myself though. The soldier's son trilogy was a bit disappointing. She seemed to hold back on letting events get too dramatic or something in it. It was simpler than her other books in that it was single-threaded, whereas the other books had a lot of interwoven threads in the stories. But it was still worth reading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

Lanfear wrote: »
    I enjoyed Robin Hobb's books, have read them all except the liveship traders, and found them all good, probably enjoyed the Farseer ones the most. She may not be of the same calibre of Feist, Erikson etc, but still is an enjoyable read imo.

That's mad, 'cos i reread Magician series a few months ago and i was sad 'cos it's rrruuuuubbish! and i'd always loved it!
    then me freind gave me Farseer 1 & i LOVED it!! i love thats she's so descriptive..i do sometimes find meself skipping to dialogue-im reading book 3 of Liveships right now & it's ok but not great. I'll give her this, somehow she changed her whole style of writing for the Liveship series! it's still amazingly well written but Farseers are better.
    Can't wait to get into Tawny man!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭emkey

it's not G.R.R. Martin but I like it so far. While waiting for a new book of "Song of Ice and Fire" I decided to give Hobb a try. I swallowed the 1st book and I'm finishing the 2nd. definitely good writing.

Advertisement