Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda Fabia 1.9 Diesels versus Fabia petrol versions

Options
  • 06-01-2008 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Are the Fabia Diesels more expensive to service / fix if they go wrong?
    Are they more thirsty than a petrol?

I will be using it for city driving most of the time if I buy one (year 2002)

Any petrol bhp versions to avoid?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

worded wrote: »
    Are the Fabia Diesels more expensive to service / fix if they go wrong?
    Are they more thirsty than a petrol?...

In general. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

GF had a 1.9SDI at one point.
    Like most VAG diesels, it was very noisy, however the thing was allergic to fuel, between 60-65 mpg. :) Not as slow mid range as you might imagine either, but there's no comparison with a TDI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Also consider other makes, with small diesels. Which in general are quieter and more refined than Skoda/VW etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I'd recommend a fabia 1.4tdi-80bhp version.I'm assuming you're waiting until july.If so the road tax will be 100euro and it'll be in the lowest VRT band.The engine well suits the car with plenty of pep for all driving conditions.As for noise the fabia has always been one of the most refined supermini's and the 1.4tdi is quieter than the 1.9 tdi.If you're easy on it, you can expect around 60 mpg in normal driving and about 70mpg when you're cruising

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP is looking at 2002 models and doesn't mention importing so new tax rates in July are not relevant here.

1.4 TDi was very expensive in the Fabia and I think it was only introduced in 2003 afaik. They are as rare as hens teeth.

Most diesel Fabias sold were the old midevil VAG SDi units. That is an old school diesel, no turbo, etc and very noisy. Plus side, very economical and easy to work on if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

oops didnt see that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Im looking at two Fabias now, but favour the petrol due to noise factor outlined and cost.

1) - The Diesel 1.9 is 2002 but is 5K euros mileage "low" (unknown for now)
    2) - The petrol is a 1.4 2001 is 3K 70K mileage (BHP unknown for now)

Other ideas ........

3) - Volkswagen Passat 1.9 TDI 110 BHP
    A bit big for around town - but a lovely car to drive and very economical I hear. As economical as the 1.4 Fabia?

http://search.autotrader.ie/www/cars_advert?country=IE&modelexact=1&make=Volkswagen&model=Passat&keywords=&min_pr=&max_pr=5000&min_year=1997&max_year=1999&source=&currency=EUR&county_list=&sort=20&SUBMIT.x=13&SUBMIT.y=3&id=200801187718268

4) - Honda Accord 1.8 LS

I do like hondas, but I hear honda parts can be expensive if they go bad.
    > Anyone any comments on this?

Hope to get something this week Ive been researching for months now.
    Any comments appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd avoid the 1.4 MPI and find a 1.2 instead.

This has been discussed here before:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055161850&highlight=fabia+MPI

Advertisement