Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A weekend trip

• 06-01-2008 4:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Just found out there that the team I follow Shelbourne FC are playing Letterkenny Rovers on the 15th Feb and Finn Harps on the 16th both in Donegal. At this moment I doubt they'll be a supporters bus going up to Donegal for friendlies so so far here's my plan.

Friday : 13.00 bus from Busaras Dublin to Letterkenny. Arrive 17.00. Walk to the stadium getting food on the way only a 20 minute walk. Get a B&B maybe :D

Saturday : Get up about 15.00 get to Ballybofey somehow along the N13. Go to the match, bla bla. Then get back to Letterkenny and get either the 1.45 bus that night or the 5.30 bus that morning.

Problems are getting to and from, Letterkenny to Ballybofey and back? Can people recommend cheap places to stay (if we decide:p)? And some good take-aways?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Gavin, if the game against Letterkenny is at Ballyar, you won't be walking it. :p

There is a good regular bus service between Letterkenny & Ballybofey.

As for places to stay, here are a few b&bs. Letterkenny has plenty of hotels if you'd prefer that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,333 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The 480 and 491 routes listed in Bus Eireann's timetable will get you from Letterkenny to Ballybofey and back otherwise a taxi will be about €20 - €30 depending who you get and what time of day.

As smashey said if the game is in Ramelton you will probably have to get a taxi from Letterkenny or there may be local buses running for the match. Letterkenny to Ramelton (Ballyar) is about 5 or 6 miles but Im open to correction on that.

Come in Damien Blake ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Now I've just figured out the game is in Ballybofey on the Friday and the game in Letterkenny is on the Saturday:mad: My plans out the window:D

The express bus from Dublin can drop you off at either Lifford or Letterkenny. Ballybofey is a wee bit closer to Lifford than it is to Leterkenny and there are buses from Lifford to Ballybofey every couple of hours. Check the link I give earlier for timetable.

Will do.:D I'll be back no doubt before the timw comes.;)

• Advertisement

The express bus stops in Lifford and there is always a feeder bus waiting to Ballybofey.

smashey wrote: »
    The express bus stops in Lifford and there is always a feeder bus waiting to Ballybofey.
    I dont know if this is the case or not. I know there is a bus from Ballybofey to Lifford that connects with the Letterkenny - Dublin express but to get the reverse?

Anyhow if the OP knows the arrival time of the express bus in Lifford then the local Lifford - Ballybofey bus service timetable can be viewed here.

Edit: C'mon the Harps :D

I'm back as I said I would be. Finalizing plans for the trip (well I haven't even started any plans yet).

Anyway if anyone craes to make me a transport plan that would be great, I need to be in Finn Park, Ballybofey at 7.30pm on a Friday evening, and then to Leckview Park, Letterkenny the next day at 3.00pm.

Letterkenny Bus Station to Leckview Park, how long of a walk is it time and distance wise?

Get the Letterkenny express as far as Lifford, getting in at 1630. Have a pint or two in Lifford and get the bus to Ballybofey at 1744. You'll be there at about 1815. Another couple of pints before the game. :D

I'll find out how far Leckview park is from the bus station in Lettereknny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I'd say 30 minutes walk or less-it's near the cinema. Around a fiver in a taxi if it's raining. Traffic heading that way from the bus station shouldn't be too bad.

Some discussion here.

I see Churchill mentioned as being 'a bit Stepford wives'

LOL - I'm from Churchill or thereabouts. Feck knows what a bunch of Glentoran supporters were doing there.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I'd say 30 minutes walk or less-it's near the cinema. Around a fiver in a taxi if it's raining. Traffic heading that way from the bus station shouldn't be too bad.

Some discussion here.

LOL - I'm from Churchill or thereabouts. Feck knows what a bunch of Glentoran supporters were doing there.
    I just read that. :D

Cheers lads. Sure me and my mates will find are way :D

If anyone see's a group of about 10-15 lads walking around Letterkenny on Saturday looking lost, please help ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Sorry for going off topic but cant wait to get to work on friday and tear into the glenswilly/churchill lads about that:D

Cheers lads. Sure me and my mates will find are way :D

If anyone see's a group of about 10-15 lads walking around Letterkenny on Saturday looking lost, please help ;)
    As smashey said your best bet is get off at Lifford and then get a connecting bus to Ballybofey. This would work well if you are staying in Ballybofey or Stranorlar on the Friday night.

Alternatively you could travel on to Letterkenny on the Friday if you are staying overnight there and then get a bus or taxi from Letterkenny to Ballybofey for the match. Lifford to Ballybofey is about the same distance as Letterkenny to Ballybofey. You will find the local bus timetables in links above.

Leckview park in Letterkenny isnt that far from the bus station - I would think about 15 - 20 minutes walk and its all on the level (no hills to climb)

Oh and I will try to wave to you on Friday night after we stuff your crowd ;)

muffler wrote: »
    As smashey said your best bet is get off at Lifford and then get a connecting bus to Ballybofey. This would work well if you are staying in Ballybofey or Stranorlar on the Friday night.

Alternatively you could travel on to Letterkenny on the Friday if you are staying overnight there and then get a bus or taxi from Letterkenny to Ballybofey for the match. Lifford to Ballybofey is about the same distance as Letterkenny to Ballybofey. You will find the local bus timetables in links above.

Leckview park in Letterkenny isnt that far from the bus station - I would think about 15 - 20 minutes walk and its all on the level (no hills to climb)

Oh and I will try to wave to you on Friday night after we stuff your crowd ;)

We ain't staying over:mad: long story. So we're doing two trips up and two trips back.

Look out for my banner if you're at the match "Southside Reds".;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Get the Letterkenny express as far as Lifford, getting in at 1630. Have a pint or two in Lifford and get the bus to Ballybofey at 1744. You'll be there at about 1815. Another couple of pints before the game. :D

What's the last bus going back the other way?:D

Must say Donegal people are the friendliest people in Ireland and Letterkenny, Ballybofey and Donegal Town are very nice places. You also have quite attractive females with that sexy Donegal accent.:D

Must say Donegal people are the friendliest people in Ireland and Letterkenny, Ballybofey and Donegal Town are very nice places. You also have quite attractive females with that sexy Donegal accent.:D
    Nice to hear that and I hope you enjoyed yourselves.

You hadnt much of a game on Friday but how did the Letterkenny Rovers game end up on Saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

+1!

I'm moving up to yis.:D

• Advertisement

You hadnt much of a game on Friday but how did the Letterkenny Rovers game end up on Saturday?

Did you like the 8 of us singing on Friday.:D We beat Letterkenny 2-0, both second half goals. 1st half was a 5o/50, 2nd half we destroyed them. The Letterkenny game was in aid of the Alan Doherty fund.

SantryRed wrote: »
    +1!

I'm moving up to yis.:D
    Have you received the seal of acceptance yet ;)

Did you like the 8 of us singing on Friday.:D.
    Stick to the full time jobs :D

beat Letterkenny 2-0, both second half goals. 1st half was a 5o/50, 2nd half we destroyed them. The Letterkenny game was in aid of the Alan Doherty fund.
    A good cause indeed :)

A good cause indeed :)

Yup well worthy cause, he was presented with some Shels gear aswell.

Yup well worthy cause, he was presented with some Shels gear aswell.
    A nice gesture indeed.

Isnt it just great that we wont be seeing (or hearing thankfully:D) you in the premier division this season :p

Isnt it just great that we wont be seeing (or hearing thankfully:D) you in the premier division this season :p

Nor the 2009 season, you lot will be playing first divison football and we'll be back in the premier where we belong.:D

What was the name of that group? They had a big hit with "Sweet dreams are made of this" ;)

Advertisement