Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

goodbye hybrid, hello fixed. forever.

Options
  • 06-01-2008 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

So over the last few months I've only been using my self-built fixie for commuting to work. I used to cycle a blue hybrid, a bit of a frankenbike with bits and pieces stuck on to it over time, but it is in good working order and doesnt look attractive to thieves.

But recently every time I got onto the hybrid, I felt like I wasnt in control of the bike, and the leg action didnt feel true, every time I stopped cycling for a split second I kept on thinking what is the problem with these pedals? And then it hit me that I didnt have to keep moving my legs all the time... :D

So I've decided to offload my hybrid and just move straight to the fixie forever. I also have a Langster which I'm going to spray paint some stupid awful colours over the next few days, and scruff it up hopefully enough to deter the lazier thieving junkie scum around town who go for the stuff that just looks good.

I just feel like my brain and body have changed so much that I really cant handle the slothy response from my hybird any more. The only thing I might want it for is doing the long distance cycles, but I dont plan on doing any more of them this year before I emigrate... so its goodbye to the hybrid for the moment.

Anyone else feel this way? Or ditched geared cycling for purely fixed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Flickerx

I've been fixed since 2004 and the fixie remains my primary mode of transport around Dublin town.

As well as loving the greater feel and connection with a fixie, the main impact of my interest in fixies has been a preference for simplicity in bikes.

For example, my mountain bike now has a shimano alfine 8 speed hub instead of teh usual 27 gear set up and I love that too, particualrly the reliability but also the cleaner looks.

I also have singlespeed bike which I use for getting to the train station in Celbridge. It used to be fixed and it used to have gears, but the terrain around here is such that I settled on a singlespeed set up and its marginally better. I'll also be putting a child seat on for when my daughter is old enough, so singlespeed works better for that purpose too.

I also have a lovely late 80s mercian frame, which has been waiting for some time to be built up into a geared machine with new parts i have lying around but...but as I wait for the spring (its too cold atm to fiddle with bikes), I'm wondering if I shouldn't make it a fixie too. Being an old school steel bike, it would look so much nicer without all the gears and cables.

fixies rock!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Well, I sold my hybrid yesterday, so its fixies all the way for me now.

I have a frame sitting in my front room that is about half way to completion, but maybe I'll make it a single speed (whenever I get around to finishing it) for those nights when I'm cycling drunk.

That was my major concern in ditching the hybrid - would my brain/leg co-ordination for cycling a fixie still be the same after a few beers? I know its something I shouldnt be doing but I am just thinking practically/realistically here.

(new years resolution is not to drink until paddys day so hopefully I can stick to that)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Whenever I go for my weekend rides I always feel like something is wrong when I switch over to the road bike after cycling the fixie all week. The few times I freewheel, I feel like I am cheating. I've had a few hairy moments ont he fixie, especially when I tried to bunny hop a cut in the road. I stopped pedaling and had a very sharp mid air reminder. I really don't know how I kept it together on the landing. It scared the pants off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Sold my Hybrid a couple of months ago to ride fixed exclusively. I haven't looked back. The Hybrid felt sluggish once I got used to fixed gear, heavy, clunky and unresponsive. I love the efficency, lightness and quiet power you get from the fixed. Riding a Langster at the moment, but have begun lusting after a Bianchi Pista or something similar. Saw a girl riding one along the boardwalk at Dollymount over Christmas and it looked great. Like the idea of acquiring a steel frame and building my own, but not feeling especially motivated.

Please don't drink and ride though, we'll only start worrying...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭King Eric

I sold my racer about a year ago to buy a fuji track bike, absolutely love it. I love the reliability of it, the smoothness the feel and the silence of cycling it. I love the way when you set off at lights the acceleration and the fact that you know your gears arent going to slip and grind and leave you stuck. I love the fact that other people think I'm mad being on a fixie and i love letting my friends have a go and have them give the same shreak 20m down the rod when they go to turn back . I've riden nothing else since i bought it until about a month ago i tried to ride my friends mountain bike and nearly crashed. I hadn't realised how much my riding style had changed especially at slower speeds. Bigger hills can be a bitch sometimes but its just you and the bike and you do it

I wouldn't worry about cycling under the influence, just remember to roll up your jeans/tuck in laces. I had a shamefully drunken cycle along the luas lines after a work do, something im not proud of but i dont think i was in any more danger than cycling a non fixed bike.
    Plus i think a fixie is more likely to be locked where you left it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

You guys are going to like my new bike..

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

i have a lovely mercian but it is great to be part of a trend eh?

Ho ho. That blog post is spot on. I was thinking of writing something for that free magazine Totally Dublin in the exact same vein.

Fish-head, whats your new bike? Did you get it off Santa?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

GET OFF MY BANDWAGON!!!!!!!!!!!

look, i've had enough. i'm declaring a moratorium on all future fixed converts. no more. that's it. game over. the wagon is full, fúck off.

i know i've only been riding my fixed-gear for a year and a half, and that the 'trend' was already in full swing before me, but riding this bike may be the only thing that gives me any claim to be "cool". i have no tattoos. i have no piercings. i do not have dreadlocks. i've only ever had sex with one person at a time. you see? nothing cool there.

now, i've gotten used to the derisory glances and rolled eyes that couriers give me as i actually stop(!) at traffic lights. i know that they think i want to be just like them (i do, sometimes (usually whle sitting at my desk on a lovely day)), and that disgusts them apparently, and that they think i'm only riding my langster to pretend to be a bohemian. well, i'm not, i just like it. the rest of you though are clearly poseurs, trying to steal the cool. back off.

niceonetom wrote: »
    i've only ever had sex with one person at a time

yourself doesnt count as a person

:D

seriously though, arent we all so far behind this as a trend anyway, globally i mean? surely in NYC and the like they ("they" being the "cool" people) are now riding something else entirely, maybe unicycles or penny farthings, and we all think we're the dogs balls with our fixies when in reality we're out/down/cold/last years news on those "cool barometer" type things you see in trendy style magazines.

• Advertisement

Maybe the next thing will be to ride bikes which you need to pedal backwards in order to go forwards, like this lad... http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/back-pedalling-onion-man-attempts-paris-brest-paris-11932

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Itsfixed wrote: »
    Flickerx

fixies rock!

Are fixies really that good? I have overtaken each one I've seen:D
    Seriously, though, what are the advantages? I hear "light-weight" a lot, but I usually have to carry much more gear on my back than my bike weighs, so I'm not too worried about that.
    Anything else? Are they supposedly faster?
    Donal

Donny5 wrote: »
    Seriously, though, what are the advantages? I hear "light-weight" a lot, but I usually have to carry much more gear on my back than my bike weighs, so I'm not too worried about that.
    Donal

You would be surprised how fast you can go on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Having only one gear means your bike requires less maintenance.
    Donal

niceonetom wrote: »
    i have no tattoos. i have no piercings. i do not have dreadlocks. i've only ever had sex with one person at a time. you see? nothing cool there.

You think you're not cool? I've probably done more damage to the notion of fixie's being 'cool' in this town than any other individual. Short, fat, older than your average fixie fiend, I'm like George Castanza from Seinfeld in lycra on a Langster. One look at me is more likely to provoke pity than converting to fixed. I was in New York a few months ago and downtown Manhattan is awash with a range of beautiful fixies with beautiful boys and girls riding around on them. So let's just say I'm doing my bit to stop that happening here. Bandwagon? Not if I can help it.

On the other hand I may only be making the Langster look tragically uncool:o

Nevertheless, riding a fixed is like a Zen thing, you feel totally connected to the bike (with thanks to Walhrab and Bike Snob NYC, hilarious)

Donny, I don't know what you are overtaking the fixies on, but I overtake everything else on mine, even though I stop at red lights. It's even getting a bit competitive on the quays in the morning now, as faces become familiar. I haven't been beaten yet.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

Donal

Look, fixies are not quicker, a lot slower than a well set up commuting bike. They are also a lot more dangerous and take longer to stop. I can see the attraction for simplicity etc, but if you are serious into commuting, steer clear!!

They have a certain coolness factor for some of the cycling community, but for the rest of us, no thanks. Same can be said for ss mtbers, 29ers, etc, lifestyle choice rather than speed/comfort/safety......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

flickerx wrote: »
    Ho ho. That blog post is spot on. I was thinking of writing something for that free magazine Totally Dublin in the exact same vein.

Fish-head, whats your new bike? Did you get it off Santa?

Santa completed it.

It's an IRO Mark V, Miche gruppo, DT Swiss RR 1.2 rims, track drops, clips and straps, San Marco Rolls saddle and one of those brakey things. I'll post a picture soon.

joemc99 wrote: »
    Look, fixies are not quicker, a lot slower than a well set up commuting bike. They are also a lot more dangerous and take longer to stop. I can see the attraction for simplicity etc, but if you are serious into commuting, steer clear!!

Not really accurate. It's not about the bike, it's all about the rider.

If you are serious into commuting, as I am, you can still ride a fixie.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,976 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Rode a fixie in Sweden. Didn't like it at all. Didn't feel like I had the same control when I had to stop as with a normal bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

unionman wrote: »

Donny, I don't know what you are overtaking the fixies on, but I overtake everything else on mine, even though I stop at red lights. It's even getting a bit competitive on the quays in the morning now, as faces become familiar. I haven't been beaten yet.:p

There's one courier that always manages to stay ahead of me, he's better at breaking red lights than I am (if I was to do so).
    Besides that one guy, I too have overtaken every fixie I've seen.

The low maintenance/simplicity aspect of fixies appeals to me most of all.

• Advertisement

This is descending into "my bike's faster than yours" :)
    Haven't had one of those debates since I was a kid!

But my bike *is* faster than yours!

Lads, don't you know it's not about the bike? It's about the EPO!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

my bike could kick your dad's ass.

and for the record i'm with gandlaf on the overtaking issue: you shall not pass.

joemc99 wrote: »

Relax, it's just a different type of cycling. If it's not for you so be it. The element of danger really does depend on the cyclist, all the other risk factors are the same regardless of what bike you ride. I'm very serious about commuting, and it works for me, though I concede that it would not suit everyone, that's why there is more than one type of bike in the world.:rolleyes:

Relax, guys, I recently had my bike stolen and I'm looking for a new (or second-hand) one, and I was curious about fixies, that's all. I was damn happy with my old Raleigh 531, and it could beat up all your da's (and overtake your fixies:D), although it was probably about the same age.

I can understand the simplicity argument, and how you might feel more connected to the bike, but not the maintenance argument. I loved tinkering with my bike, disassembling it far more than was necessary. I presume I'm alone in treating my bike like lego, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

lol, not trying to start a fight here, but if you are recommending fixies to people, tell the whole truth. Like I said, whatever you are into etc, but for me, commuting is about getting to work as fast, as safe and with the least effort as possible.....I leave the training/thrills for the MTB.

Fair balls to yis though, riding in traffic in speed on a track bike as to be THE MOST dangerous aspect of cycling......lunacy I tells ya.

I'd say you'll find most people who own fixies/singlespeeds like tinkering with bikes too. Point is, it can be useful to have a bike for everyday use that requires very little maintenance. Whether you choose to mess with it at the weekends or not is a different thing altogether.
    I can understand the simplicity argument, and how you might feel more connected to the bike, but not the maintenance argument. I loved tinkering with my bike, disassembling it far more than was necessary. I presume I'm alone in treating my bike like lego, though.

Well, I like disassembling too. It's the putting it back together afterwards where I come unstuck!
    I sorta meant that, I've spent hours fiddling with screws and levers and nuts for gears and brakes and stuff, and it's sort of a waste of time really. Whereas on a fixie, I wouldn't have those problems so much. There's less stuff, so there's less stuff that can go wrong.

• Advertisement

I'd say you'll find most people who own fixies/singlespeeds like tinkering with bikes too. Point is, it can be useful to have a bike for everyday use that requires very little maintenance. Whether you choose to mess with it at the weekends or not is a different thing altogether.

Fair enough, I have to say that my racers have never really required much maintenance. Usually, the only thing that would stop me would be glass on the roads from Friday night's pint glasses:(
    Well, I like disassembling too. It's the putting it back together afterwards where I come unstuck!
    I sorta meant that, I've spent hours fiddling with screws and levers and nuts for gears and brakes and stuff, and it's sort of a waste of time really. Whereas on a fixie, I wouldn't have those problems so much. There's less stuff, so there's less stuff that can go wrong.

I know that feeling. I remember the first time I took my old 531 apart. I had to bring it to my bike man to put the forks back together:( I suppose I've never really tinkered with it to solve problems, or gain performance, just because it's therapeutic.

As for fixies, now I want to try one to see what they're really like. Up to now, I've been pretty dismissive of them, mostly because, in my minds eye, I always see a fully grown man/woman riding on one of those toddler's big wheels;). They also seemed slow to me, and I presumed they must be fixed at some awkward ratio. As was pointed out earlier in this thread, they can't move through the gears when taking off, but that shouldn't be a hinderence. I usually don't bother either. I don't really understand why they're slower to stop, though. They do have brakes, right?

Advertisement