Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

goodbye hybrid, hello fixed. forever.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Some have front brakes, some ride brakeless as you don't have a back brake.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Some have front brakes, some ride brakeless as you don't have a back brake.

mine has a front and a back brake :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Right, good, that makes me feel a little less worried about running one. I was of the belief that running a back brake was regarded a little "weenie"?? because of the "inbuilt" braking mechanism.

Do you use it much?

I use it if I'm stopping from a high speed or if I need to stop quickly, otherwise I use my legs to slow down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Raam wrote: »
    I use it if I'm stopping from a high speed or if I need to stop quickly, otherwise I use my legs to slow down.

Oh, I could see that ending badly!
    Does the very nature of a fixie limit it's speed going down steep inclines, as you can't rotate your feet fast enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Yes, but you can either regard it as an inbuilt safety feature, a bit like putting a car in a lower gear as you descend a steep hill so that you don't need to keep pressing the brakes. Or you can spin your legs faster. I thought this would bother me when i first started, but just how many long steep inclines are there in dublin city? I can only think of three or four, only one of which i ever ride. Even still, its much more manageable than you might imagine if you've never ridden one.

Its not just about the bike, or the rider, or the EPO, :-) its about where you cycle as well. I'm not inclined to consider using a fixie to do long jaunts, or ride up or down big hills - the city is where a fixie is in its element, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Donny5 wrote: »
    Oh, I could see that ending badly!
    Does the very nature of a fixie limit it's speed going down steep inclines, as you can't rotate your feet fast enough?

I suppose it does, depending on the incline. On anything really steep I slow down and pump the break as needed to regulate the effects of gravity. Not being able to freewheel downhill is compensated by other things. I only have a front brake, and you learn to control the bike with the pedals very quickly. Other cyclists can probably pedal down Knockmaroon hill, but as I'm nearly 40 I'd like to hang on to my knees for a while yet:o

There is a slight incline from Islandbridge to Heuston Station via John's Road, and I always pedal like the clappers on that as the road surface is good and I generally have the lane all to myself. It's exhilerating, and a bit mental. :eek:

Agree with Itsfixed^, a city bike at heart.

It all sounds very... different to a ordinary racer, and now I'm intrigued. I don't suppose there is, but would anyone know of somewhere where I could try one out. I already asked my bike man, and he he doesn't have anything to do with them....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

flickerx wrote: »
    Ho ho. That blog post is spot on.
    Apparently "it’s like a zen thing" or at least so he says several times :D

It all sounds very... different to a ordinary racer, and now I'm intrigued. I don't suppose there is, but would anyone know of somewhere where I could try one out. I already asked my bike man, and he he doesn't have anything to do with them....

Try any of the bike shops that sell 'em. You will need to leave your credit card with them.

• Advertisement

Try any of the bike shops that sell 'em. You will need to leave your credit card with them.

I think I might try it. I hope it's lousy, or else more of my hard earned wages will go into a fad:( I'm still paying off the Pokémon loans...

I'm still paying off the Pokémon loans...

lol...I know the feeling.

If you are trying one out, make sure the chain is set on the fixed hub. I think a lot of them have the chain on the freewheel hub (as a lot of off the shelf models have both) when they are on display in the shop.

As fads go it's worth a shot, and as you can tell from some posts, it has the potential to create evangelical converts.

Nothing to do with fixed gear apart from being hosted on a fixed gear website, but worth a look... :)

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2007/dec/2/jammybstard_gmail.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

ah one does tend to miss the USSR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Nothing to do with fixed gear apart from being hosted on a fixed gear website, but worth a look... :)

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2007/dec/2/jammybstard_gmail.htm

Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

wahlrab wrote: »
    ah one does tend to miss the USSR

yeah, i'm sure the loss of oppression, gulags, liquidations, forced collectivisations, no freedom of speech or association, and constant threat by kgb or party thugs brings a tear to many an eye.

anyone going to Mao restaurant for dinner later?

flickerx wrote: »
    yeah, i'm sure the loss of oppression, gulags, liquidations, forced collectivisations, no freedom of speech or association, and constant threat by kgb or party thugs brings a tear to many an eye.

anyone going to Mao restaurant for dinner later?

Sure but things were simpler then, which was nice. No worries about terrorists, oil supplies, rising superpowers in China and India, all that stuff.
    In those days all we had to worry about was the constant and immediate danger of total nuclear holocaust.
    *nostalgic sigh.

Sure but things were simpler then, which was nice. No worries about terrorists, oil supplies, rising superpowers in China and India, all that stuff.
    In those days all we had to worry about was the constant and immediate danger of total nuclear holocaust.
    *nostalgic sigh.

Except IRA/Loyalist terrorism, ETA in Spain, Neo nazis in germany, Communist sabateurs, Afghanistan, India and Pakistan's nuclear ambitions, far-east turmoil, oil shortages thanks to OPEC, Africa falling apart, etc.

Yes, the Soviet Union really kept the world in line...

-Sorry for going off-topic. Will stop posting now:D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

that's another reason why fixies are so great, they can divert any conversation to political and historical ramblings

Except IRA/Loyalist terrorism,
    No one ever cared about that.
    ETA in Spain,
    No one cared
    Neo nazis in germany,
    No one cared
    Communist sabateurs,
    Cold war
    Afghanistan,
    Cold war
    India and Pakistan's nuclear ambitions,
    Post Cold War.
    far-east turmoil,
    Cold War
    oil shortages thanks to OPEC,
    People only cared for a few weeks.
    Africa falling apart, etc.
    No one cared
    Yes, the Soviet Union really kept the world in line...
    Yep, good times.

Now I'll stop as well. This is wrecking my zen thing. :)

• Advertisement

This is wrecking my zen thing. :)

Just think how much nicer the world could be if world leaders rode fixies and experienced that Zen thing.

D'you reckon if George Bush took off his derailleur in 2003 he's have invaded Iraq? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I suspect Dubya does ride a fixie. This kind of fixie:

http://www.toy-station.com/Media/graphics/34tricycle.jpg
    unionman wrote: »
    Just think how much nicer the world could be if world leaders rode fixies and experienced that Zen thing.

D'you reckon if George Bush took off his derailleur in 2003 he's have invaded Iraq? I think not.

I'd say this is the only fixed wheel that man deals with - inside his head

23210026.jpg

But getting back on track with this thread, and the whole "my bike is faster than your bike" thing (personally I think that argument is another version of the "I've got a bigger car/widescreen TV/penis than you" that men get into with one another sometimes), I find that with the fixie I reach my top speed a lot quicker than my friends on racers or hybirds, so for urban cycling when you're continually stop-starting at lights, junctions, its much better. But when we're doing cycles like around the Phoenix Park where you have a long clear run to build up speed, my friend on his racer eventually catches up with me and overtakes me (both of us are equally as unfit as each other).

So I find for commuting the fixie is great, definite improvement on travel times to and from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

I find that with the fixie I reach my top speed a lot quicker than my friends on racers or hybirds

lol, brilliant.....did you ever think that you are just a bit fitter? The ONLY advantage is maybe a little bit of weight, advantage gone after about .3 of a second when others get up to speed.
    So I find for commuting the fixie is great, definite improvement on travel times to and from work.

Defo defo disagree.......this 'argument' will always exist......99% of people say 'why bother, why limit yourselfs'. I would like to hear the other 1% come on with a valid argument, 'I like it, easier maint, cause no one else does it'.....but please dont argue thats its faster!!! Jez, you cant even corner on the things (unless you put 150mm cranks on).

Anyway, if you are into the simplicity, just go with a single speed, not a fixie, your life will last longer and your commute time will decrese.

You're not Jeremy Clarkson by any chance?

I don't think that's the actual Dubya fixie. His has a seat belt and stabilisers, and some brightly coloured shapes on a stick for him to follow while he's playing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Brightly coloured shapes... or "pictures of A-rabs gettin up to some ole heathen mischief".
    unionman wrote: »
    I don't think that's the actual Dubya fixie. His has a seat belt and stabilisers, and some brightly coloured shapes on a stick for him to follow while he's playing on it.

Brightly coloured shapes... or "pictures of A-rabs gettin up to some ole heathen mischief".

lol!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭gimmeaminute

Death rides a fixie, lives in Fairview...

• Advertisement

Death rides a fixie, lives in Fairview...

I dont understand that blog.

Advertisement