Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaining about a mod

Options
  • 06-01-2008 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

So I started this thread yesterday in relation to an assignment I have to do. While the assignment is about interview techniques and whatnot, I came across these 2 acts and thought the friendly people of the politics forum might be able to help me with discerning the differences between them. I got a good concise answer from DadaKopf and left it at that. I was just having a lookie this morning and noticed that my thread had been closed. Looking at the thread to see why, I noticed this dumba*s Moriarity had injected his worthless 2 cents into it.

Needing to know the difference between 2 acts is hardly "coursework", as DadaKopf's reply shows, the differences are there albeit subtle (in my mind).

To put up a worthless reply basically telling me to sod off (even after I got the answer I was looking for) and then lock the thread is an abuse of this person's power if ever I saw it. I'm surprised they didn't try and ban me or something at the same time. It's absolutely ridiculous.

As I said, I have got the answer I was looking for, but I won't be back to the politics forum (or indeed any of the ones this guy mods) for a long time, if this is the sort of thing they enjoy doing.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

it seems to be a bad idea to ask for help on college work here.i asked once,but didnt get much.
    of course you have to see from their point of view you could just be a lazy sod looking for an easy way out.
    they prob get that kinda stuff alot. did you pm the mod in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I really couldn't be bothered. Like his post states, he thinks I'm asking for someone to do my homework for me. This is obviously not the case, but no amount of pm'ing would change his mind. The problem I have with it is his reply and thread locking after I'd got the answer I needed, it just seems flagrant to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

i honestl cant see you getting whatever it is you want done,done.
    why are you angry he locked the thread when your got your answer?theres no point complaining about that.
    not havin a go at you btw,just i can see your arguement torn apar by the mods.
    lolcats will more than likely show up.
    itll be anarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

corblimey, the politics board isn't there to help you with your assignment. I locked it to discourage you or anyone else that saw it from asking for more help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

While your request may have been genuine, if the Politics forum was allowed to deal with such requests, on an ongoing basis, it would be snowed under.

Rightly, such a practice is discouraged. You have your answer, so why worry?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Says nothing about it in the charter and frankly, if someone is looking for advise or differing perspectives on a piece of legislation - surely thats the very purpose of the politics forum?

If the thread was to be locked, the mod could have been a lot more polite about it. Perhaps an unbunching of the panties might be in order.

If its not in the charter, and AIUI it is policy, not just there, but on other forums too, then it should be added in a clear and concise manner. We all know the Politics board is for discussion, but sometimes issues such as this require additional clarification.

How could he have been more polite? I'm not reading anything sinister into his remarks.

If this is coming down to him not saying please and kthksbai, then it is a spurious complaint.

If it serves to have a point of order clarified in the Politics charter, then that, at least would be a positive outcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

corblimey wrote: »
    Like his post states, he thinks I'm asking for someone to do my homework for me. This is obviously not the case, but no amount of pm'ing would change his mind.
    How is it "obviously" not the case? The post is worded like someone trying to get people to do their homework for them. If this isn't the case it's far from obvious.

When I modded the Programming forum I would allow requests for help with school or college work if people were extremely clear about what their specific problem was and where their point of confusion was because to do that required that they'd actually made some attempts to deal with things and were stuck rather than lazy or incompetent.

The Politics mods might be more tolerant of a post which demonstrated that you had actually examined the acts in question and were stuck in trying to find differences rather than lazy or incompetent.

And then again they might not, there's more than one reason for the general ban on school and college work questions and I'm not saying they should see a reason I once found as sensible for a reason for an exception as also a sensible reason in a different forum.

But your post looks like a straight-forward "please do my homework for me".

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Got to agree with the above. Apart from anything wouldn't the Legal Discussion board have been more appropriate (if your thread was permitted there)?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Talliesin wrote: »
    But your post looks like a straight-forward "please do my homework for me".
    Pretty much.

corblimey, you may as well have said, "I haven't read either of these acts, and couldn't be arsed. Can someone summarise the differences for me. kthxbye"

If you had shown that you had read the two acts, came up with some opinions of your own and then asked others for their feedback, then perhaps you may have gotten something more receptive. Or perhaps if you had said, "I've gone through them and they appear identical except for some slight changes in the definitions, is that all it is?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

seamus wrote: »
    Pretty much.

corblimey, you may as well have said, "I haven't read either of these acts, and couldn't be arsed. Can someone summarise the differences for me. kthxbye"

If you had shown that you had read the two acts, came up with some opinions of your own and then asked others for their feedback, then perhaps you may have gotten something more receptive. Or perhaps if you had said, "I've gone through them and they appear identical except for some slight changes in the definitions, is that all it is?"

Wow! That's the most boneheaded thing I've read on boards for a long time. FYI, I did read both acts, if you look at my op, you'll see that I can tell they're both on discrimination on the same 9 grounds, and having read through them I couldn't really discern the differences. That's all I was asking. Are you seriously trying to tell me that saying "I've read them through them and they appear to be identical, am I wrong?" is better than "Can anyone who's more aware of the specifics tell me if there's any major differences?" which is what I put down? Isn't that just semantics? Yes, maybe I could've worded it better or it's in the wrong forum. But I think anyone with an ounce of sense would've dealt with it better than Moriarity did, particulary after the fact.

Talliesin, if I hadn't mentioned that I was "doing a paper on it" but was just interested in the differences between the 2 acts purely from an informational point of view, would the thread still be valid? As I stated above, I am doing a paper but it's not on these acts specifically, although they are linked. By way of this, I determined that both acts were almost identical to my mind and I wanted to know the difference. Where's the line?

I've never had a problem on boards before, and any locked threads have been dealt with professionally and competently, but this mod has totally abused his power. I can see I'm not going to get any satisfaction from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's actually this line that's the key in your post:
    I'm trying to figure out if there's any difference between them.
    You could figure that out by reading them. I don't know what kind of additional specifics you would expect people to know, except for what's written there for all to see...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

u-do-mah-homework.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

jhegarty wrote: »
    u-do-mah-homework.jpg

medical/nursing/science students, and even people doing leaving cert biology have come onto the biology/medicine forum looking for clarification on coursework-type stuff, or stuff they've been reading.

We've always been happy to help, and don't think it's caused any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Seamus and Moriarty stop being bone-ass dumb-heads. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Your answer can be found here: http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-GB%3Aofficial&hs=fgs&q=difference+between+equality+act+equal+status+act&btnG=Search&meta=cr%3DcountryIE
    ..and if not there, call the citizens information helpline: http://citizensinformation.ie/categories

That is how you revise for coursework. Then when you get an answer you say "I obtained these answers by contacting a very helpful person by the name of **** on the Citizens Info helpline."
    ......not "ara, got my answers off a few of my mates on the Politics Forum"

IMO, in your first post, i got the strong impression that you were just looking for answers, and it is only in your second post, that i realised that it was in relation to interviews.

I think both parties involved were correct to do what they did, even tho, this did result in a collision of interests. You must understand that everyone is bound by the same rules, and if they allow one person to request that their homework be done, they must grant everyone the same privelage.

~NevF

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Boston wrote: »
    Seamus and Moriarty stop being bone-ass dumb-heads. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Boston has had to have a little lie down. He'll be back, possibly.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You banned him for that comment? It's obvious he was just taking the mickey.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Stark wrote: »
    You banned him for that comment? It's obvious he was just taking the mickey.
    Um... really? cos that seems like a very Boston thing to say in all seriousness.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Of course he was serious.

He used 14 exclamation marks... that's about as serious as you can get... eh... without using 15 or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Personally i dont think its appropriate to question moderator actions on the open board.

If you have a problem contact the moderater directly or send a pm to his supervisor.

*Thread closed*

Hmm, my magic moderator wand is broken again... crud.

DeVore wrote: »
    Um... really?

Yeah it was a parody of the "boneheaded" remark that the OP made.
    Of course he was serious.

He used 14 exclamation marks... that's about as serious as you can get... eh... without using 15 or more.

Now I can't tell if you're being serious. Stupid plaintext :)

Ironic if Boston took an early shower for that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Moriarty wrote: »
    corblimey, the politics board isn't there to help you with your assignment.

I thought boards were here for discussions. If that discussion centres around an assignment whats the problem? If you didn't want to answer the question - or give help with an assignment, fine. Clearly DadaKopf was happy to help. Should he not be allowed?
    Talliesin wrote: »
    The post is worded like someone trying to get people to do their homework for them.

I don't agree. The OP demonstrated he had at attempted to read and understand the acts by noting that they refered to discrimination on 9 grounds. Reading (similar) legislation looking for differences can be VERY difficult. One word or phrase in the middle of 3/4 pages of text can be the only differeniating factor. Even after you have found the differentiating phrase, correctly interpreting what this means in practice can still be difficult. I don't think it looked obvious from the OP's that he hadn't already made an effort to answer the question himself.

TBH the reason I post on this is because I have used forums (legal discussion mostly but once I think I used UCD as well) for help with assignments and have found it be a particularly useful source of information if you get a helpful poster willing to engage with the topic. Had I had knowledge of the area that the OP here was asking about I would have answered and found it to be a question worthy of devoting time to answering. I think it really makes a mockery of the whole concepts of boards if a moderater finding an innocious question such as this distasteful - decides to lock a thread which could potentially have become an interesting discussion between the OP and DataKopf had it been allowed to develop.

padser wrote: »
    I thought boards were here for discussions. If that discussion centres around an assignment whats the problem? If you didn't want to answer the question - or give help with an assignment, fine. Clearly DadaKopf was happy to help. Should he not be allowed?

A discussion implies more than one party contributing in some sense. A homework handout isn't a discussion.
    I don't agree. The OP demonstrated he had at attempted to read and understand the acts by noting that they refered to discrimination on 9 grounds.

The dogs on the street know about the 9 grounds. It doesn't demonstrate that he read the acts.
    I think it really makes a mockery of the whole concepts of boards if a moderater finding an innocious question such as this distasteful - decides to lock a thread which could potentially have become an interesting discussion between the OP and DataKopf had it been allowed to develop.

It makes a mockery of things if boards is seen as domyhomework.com.

It could be that there was a misunderstanding and the OP did in fact read the acts before asking. But even if that was the case, he still got what he wanted before the thread was locked so no harm done. Meanwhile, locking the thread lets other people know that the thread doesn't set a "we're fine with doing your homework for you" precedent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Um... really?

2175149388_73f0e4f68e.jpg

cos that seems like a very Boston thing to say in all seriousness.

Once maybe but he appears to have grown up and acquired a sense of humour :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The OP was wrong the mod was right. thats the way of the world :p

:D

Boston was being sarcastic for effect apparently, I didnt pick up on that. My bad, Boston unbanned.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Cabaal wrote: »
    The OP was wrong the mod was right. thats the way of the world :p

:D

I guess I hadn't looked at it that way :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Rock Climber

It's a discussion forum full stop.
    My rule of thumb in situations like this is if the op hadn't the curtesy to pm one of the mods in the first placeregarding what to do I'd have done exactly what moriarty had done and closed the thread.

If I had got a pm,I'd have explained the score and asked the op to go ahead and post but to put some work into the thread such that it didn't give off the whiff of a cut and run do my homework thread.
    That would have been the community spirit way of doing it and boards is a community.
    It's not there to be used and abused by people who won't foster anything towards it.

Cor Blimey,consider your lesson learned and be thankfull that you at least managed to get something usefull out of it before a mod rightfully stepped in and laid down the law.

Advertisement