Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaining about a mod

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

:cool:
    padser wrote: »
    TBH the reason I post on this is because I have used forums (legal discussion mostly but once I think I used UCD as well) for help with assignments and have found it be a particularly useful source of information if you get a helpful poster willing to engage with the topic. Had I had knowledge of the area that the OP here was asking about I would have answered and found it to be a question worthy of devoting time to answering. I think it really makes a mockery of the whole concepts of boards if a moderater finding an innocious question such as this distasteful - decides to lock a thread which could potentially have become an interesting discussion between the OP and DataKopf had it been allowed to develop.

+1

I've found the computers and Open Source forums an invaluable source of help and information when I was doing "homework" a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Everyone keeps talking about DataKopf as if he thought hghly of the thread and predicted great debate. While he answered the question, he clearly didn't seem impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

tallaght01 wrote: »
    medical/nursing/science students, and even people doing leaving cert biology have come onto the biology/medicine forum looking for clarification on coursework-type stuff, or stuff they've been reading.

We've always been happy to help, and don't think it's caused any problems.

In fairness, there is a world of difference between B&M and Politics. The most obvious being as there is a larger gulf of knowledge between posters in the B&M forum.

Agree with Mor here (surprise!!!), although maybe we can move it to the coursework/college forums for the mod there to open??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Plus a haon.

Same to Boston. Dadakopf gave a response, but his tone showed that Moriarty wasn't the only one who felt that way.

To reiterate, Mor's response was a helluva lot more restrained than the OP in this thread.

Dumbass and worthless indeed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

2175149388_73f0e4f68e.jpg

Although funny...This ones better....

ya%20rly.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Old!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

_42827249_tonyoreily203.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Is it a boards wide policy not to help with home work/course work what ever?

I asked a question in the maths forum about course work. I did the work but I was seeking opinions on my conclusions. Maybe that's different though?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's different because you showed that you had done the work, you just needed help with a part of it. If you had come on and just said "How do I solve this?" and nothing else, then you wouldn't have gotten a positive response.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Stark wrote: »
    That's different because you showed that you had done the work, you just needed help with a part of it. If you had come on and just said "How do I solve this?" and nothing else, then you wouldn't have gotten a positive response.

Ah right get it now.

THink I took things up the wrong way

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

so some of the forums are sponsored by the Dept of Education so dont ask for help with assignments?!

I would have thought that a bulletin board is a healthy place for look for help as long as somone aint taking the pi$$?

stop talking at the back Boston or you will be put in the bold corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

oh please, there is such a thing as knowing that people need to learn for themsleves and the admins choose to foster that ethos here, whoopdedoo get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I wouldn't have thought that at least pointing people in the right direction, giving them a helping hand, would be frowned upon.

Of course, some people may use it as a "Do my homework" thing, but for those out there needing some advice, it isn't unreasonable is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Otacon wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought that at least pointing people in the right direction, giving them a helping hand, would be frowned upon.

It's not as long as you've shown you've made some effort yourself. The Programming forum is a good example of this. You get good advice if you post up your code and shown that you've put in some work yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Personally i find it rather amusing that there is threads allowed about mod actions.

Ive about 15000 posts on interwebnet forums and in all but here the rule is "one does not talk about mod actions or your e - penis and bandwidth will be removed."

I find it makes amusing reading none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

rmacm wrote: »
    It's not as long as you've shown you've made some effort yourself. The Programming forum is a good example of this. You get good advice if you post up your code and shown that you've put in some work yourself.

Agree completely. As I said, as long as its not a "Do my Homework" thread, I can't see any reason why someone cannot look for help on the relevant board.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,632 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thaedydal wrote: »
    oh please, there is such a thing as knowing that people need to learn for themsleves and the admins choose to foster that ethos here, whoopdedoo get over it.

How does one know when someone is looking to plagiarise in order to get their "homework" done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The mods make that call based on the post and the poster.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    The mods make that call based on the post and the poster.

thats fair enough however its not that easy. On re-read the OP should have PM'd the mod(s) to explain what he/she was trying to achieve so that the thread could be re-opened, or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

faceman wrote: »
    How does one know when someone is looking to plagiarise in order to get their "homework" done?
    Actually, I imagine the bulk of the ethos came from the programming board. Anyone who has studied programming in college knows that the guy who asks to look at your code or who asks basic questions about a problem without even making an attempt, will be the same guy looking over your shoulder again next week.

So it's not about plagiarism, it's about doing good by the requestor. If someone has clearly made a decent stab at the problem and is only stuck on a certain aspect of it, then it's possible to to point him in right direction to figure out the answer, or to supply the answer and be sure that he has understood it. The poster benefits because he learns and the board benefits because that poster won't come back with the exact same questions* next week and has gained some expertise to similarly help others in future.

I say it comes from the programming board because this is a problem which exists constantly in programming classes and manifests very quickly. People can bluff their way through whole programming courses by asking other people to do bits of their code and unlike other subjects, they will never "get it" without sitting down and doing it themselves. Even if you hand up someone else's legal essay, you will gain some benefit from reading it and you will learn something. If you hand up someone else's programming assignment, you get no benefit whatsoever, none. You've learned zilch.

* We've all met that guy who you show how to do something and they continually come back again and again asking you to do it for them. I don't think I find anything more frustrating

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Actually, I imagine the bulk of the ethos came from the programming board. Anyone who has studied programming in college knows that the guy who asks to look at your code or who asks basic questions about a problem without even making an attempt, will be the same guy looking over your shoulder again next week.

*punches wall* God damn it I hate that guy. My course was full of them, and dizzy blonds.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

GODS YES! I had women in my course who had lecturers do the code for them 80% of the time (no, I'm not making a general sexist statement - there were 2 women in my course that had lecturers doing the work for them - I as class rep shouted at the head of the course for a long time over that one). We had a nice vibe in college though, there were 5 or 6 of us who would help and collaborate and the lecturers had no problem with this as each and every one of us could explain every single line of code written and handed up.

Seamus has summed up the arguement here perfectly - the asker of such questions won't learn if they don't try.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Tim Murphy (a veritable legend in Mathematics) set us the classic "Hello World" in our first Unix/C course. He also told us if we could find someone's home directory and copy it from there he'd give us full credit even if we handed it up with their name on it. He argued that if we went and learned how to do that we would have learned more about Unix/C then Hello World would teach us.

He was as good as his word. :)

DeV.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

/* Hello World program */

#include<stdio.h>

main()
    {
    printf("Hello World");

}

:)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its soooo much cooler to h4ck teh gibs0n.

DeV.

haven't heard that phrase in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

DeV: you know, I should've said that to the first year maths students in Trinity this year. at least that way some of their submissions wouldnt be so bloody poor.

Advertisement