Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swelled lip piercing

Options
  • 06-01-2008 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

friday night there was a small pimple under one of my lip piercings and i figured it would be okay to pop it, it was about 1.5cm under the piercing. i had to apply a little pressure for a few minutes to get it and all was fine and well.
    yesterday i woke up and there was a bit of swelling around the piercing, i sucked on some ice throughout the day to help both the pain and swelling and then before i went to sleep last night, i pushed the rings out to the side thinking it would help bring the swelling down since my ring was kind of sitting on the swelled part.
    today when i woke up the swelling had gotten even bigger and i cant even move the ring now (because of all the swelling)
    its very painful to touch the swelled part and i dont know what to do.
    i cant make it to a piercing studio until like thursday or friday because id have to travel to dublin(heard bad things about the one in my town)
    should i take out my rings and let it close up? or is this one of the 'has to get worse before it gets better' things?

if it matters, i got them done in mid september in bodyshock (awful experience) and had them changed to rings in wildcat/celestial ring in early november so theyre still fairly new piercings.

i included some pictures of it if that helps. apologies that theres alot of lymph/crusties on them i took the pictures straight after i woke up and also for the **** pictures.
    thanks in advance.:confused:

Img_6345.jpg
    IMG_6344.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

take em out right away, go to the piercer near you, even the sh!ttiest piercer will be able to remove jewelry.
    put em back in once the swelling goes down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭DonnaDarko

Wilburt wrote: »
    take em out right away, go to the piercer near you, even the sh!ttiest piercer will be able to remove jewelry.
    put em back in once the swelling goes down

if i take the jewellery out it will probably close up since theyre only a few months old..
    i want that to be a last resort so ill wait for some other opinions,thank you though!!

ok, up to you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

lad what are the piercing made out of I had a similar experience with my plugs if they are blackline or plastic I would swap for steel or better still titanium. Also see your piercer asap reactions can happen at any time.

j0e wrote: »
    lad what are the piercing made out of I had a similar experience with my plugs if they are blackline or plastic I would swap for steel or better still titanium. Also see your piercer asap reactions can happen at any time.

i have no idea to be honest, i just told the guy the ones i wanted and he recommended getting a more expensive kind because they were better but i hadnt got enough so just went for these.it'll be close to next weekend when i can get up there:(

• Advertisement

if your refusing to take em out at least switch them for a really long labret stud or something to releive the pressure on your already swollen lips. Any regular on here is gonna give you the same advice :-/

They wont close up within a day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

yeah other than that id say buy some oral-b mouthwash its alcohol free and rinse your mouth out a couple of times a day with that, also for the love of god switch to good jewlery and give the piercings a chance. If u dont ur likely to end up with a pretty signifiant gash at due to the swelling pulling on the percing at best. At the end of the day its your body

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Long labret bars, good mouthwash, keep with ice, though not too much, leave the area alone as much as possible.

Personally, I'd say they'd definitely close up fairly sharpish, but regardless, better jewellery will do the trick for now, so do that promptly.

Wilburt wrote: »
    if your refusing to take em out at least switch them for a really long labret stud or something to releive the pressure on your already swollen lips. Any regular on here is gonna give you the same advice :-/

They wont close up within a day or two.

im not refusing to take them out, i did want to keep it as a last resort, but if its the only solution then i will do it.

i dont have any other jewelery to change them, i cant get any until mid week or so.

ive been told that if your piercing is infected its best to leave the jewelry in them and just try to get rid of the infection/swelling so thats why im keeping them in..last thing i wanna do is make them worse!!

thanks for the help everyone..if the swelling hasnt gone down tomorow morning i think ill go get the jewelery changed if i can get money somehow

just actually found the long bars i got the piercings done with..might change them tonight myself if the swelling is still there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Master-Decoy

ah yeah, same thing happened to me. My left one had been done for 4 months with a ring still in it,got the other one done and when it swelled up it cut through my lip like ****! was insanely sore,BUT,I bought a box of plain ice pops(no ice cream just the watery kind) get some oral cleaner(mouthwash as above) if I had them at the time,a decent long labret would have helped alot,but my lip was exactly like yours and it took 2 days to bring the sweeling down,just sitting around with orange sparklers and constant cleaning.don't keep tounging it,just keep your lip ice cold,so cold it hurts a bit!you'll be fine!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I definitely recommend using the longer bars. I have my lip piercings for over a year now, and they don't like having rings in them for more than a few hours!! the shape of the ring is different from the bar, and yer lip just doesn't like it yet.

Put the bars in, and wait wait wait... don't change the jewellery again for at least 1-2 months.

Advertisement