Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What flooring works with house dogs?

Options
  • 06-01-2008 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I've two dogs who spend most of their time indoors. The problem is that our carpet is ruined as a result of a few accidents over the last three years. I need to replace the carpet but am wondering what the best flooring option is with two dogs in the house. The sitting and dining rooms are the rooms I'm most concerned with as the kitchen has lino and they don't spend time in any other rooms. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The wooden flooring is the best option imo .Easy to hoover up any dog hairs and mop .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

One thing to be wary of with polished wooden flooring is that it can be quite slippy for excited dogs. One of mine broke his leg last February and I was very wary of slippery surfaces during his recuperation. A lot of dogs seem to damage themselves on slippery floors, so I would bear this in mind when choosing flooring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

yeah mine skid on the laminate wood and tiles sometimes lol. I woul;d say wooden floors or tiles but wooden floors can rot if a dog is peeing indoors quite often on the same spot and they can tear up lino (although they probably wouldn't unless they were left alone for long periods every day like the dog I know that did it)

But I suppose if your dog is housetrained and he's not alone for ages my choices would be wood/laminate, tiles or lino, and maybe a washable rug/carpet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

All floors aside from carpet can be slippy. Some tiles are non slip although not sure how non slip they are. Something like a solid wood floor might be better than a laminate. Or rougher tiles with rugs that have the non slip backing on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Slate works well, a friend of mine got it in his house, his dogs get good grip and it keeps the nails down.

Costs a fortune though.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Turty3

Thanks for the input folks, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

Also costs a fortune but VERY trendy and super for dogs - rubber!Looks like stable mats(a cheaper alternative!) but not slippy and completely impervious to anything a dog can do to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Best floor for a dog is the floor in the shed. :D (I JOKE!!)

I shouldnt laugh, im getting my pup on monday and i will keep her in the house with me. Im trying to do the responsible thing and wait till after christmas to get one of those poor abandoned puppies.

I went to see her and made a deal. I need the company, i suffer from depression, so if she helps me in my mood, i let her stay in the house... she said she promises not to get jealous if i bring lady friends over ;)

Anyway to answer your question, yes Wooden floors are by far the most suitable floor for indoor pets such as dogs and... small Lions:|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Solid wood floors can also be sanded every couple of years if they get damaged so an added bonus!

Tiles are good but I would not suggest marble which we have! Its non slip but its very porous so wee wee starts to damage the tiles over time! If I could change I would get old fashioned flag stones hard wearing & easy to clean!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Bond-007 wrote: »
    If I could change I would get old fashioned flag stones hard wearing & easy to clean!

Yeah, good point. Not cheap either though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭NukeD4

have wooden floors and a boxer in the house,they scratch the floor up something terrible with stretching,running,playing general exertion the dogs only 3 and weve had our floors sanded and varnished twice already, they slide on laminate wood flooring but dont damage it

Advertisement