Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superbowl Night

• 06-01-2008 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering where's opening in the City Centre for the Superbowl this year?

Woolshed? Captain Americas? Redz?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭JJ

I'd say the Woolshed are a guarantee to have a party for the big game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Last year the cops refused late night licences so had to watch it somewhere else. Rebels throw a party in Renards, UCD students usually organise something, DCU usually have a club members only thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

jdivision wrote: »
    Last year the cops refused late night licences so had to watch it somewhere else.

FFS!!!!!!!! Refused licences so they could have a quiet Sunday night!!!!!! :rolleyes: Balls on it anyway!! If anyone hears of anything happening, please let us know. :(

I'll see if I can get a few details off the Rebels about their plans. They filled the place last year but think it was e20 in.

edit: Lothaar reads these forums and he's their QB so he'll probably post up their plans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I know it is not the city centre, but last year went to McSorleys in Ranelagh. I was expecting it to be quiet but the place was packed and they had a few promotions on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well it's on a lot earlier this year than recent years! Like coverage starts at 8 on Sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭hanton12

kmart6 wrote: »
    Well it's on a lot earlier this year than recent years! Like coverage starts at 8 on Sky

thats only coverage. Game starts at 6pm western time so that would be 11pm here, so same time as previous years.

Was considering heading to Dublin for it this year, but not so sure now. Have been up there in years past and was great craic, but wouldnt be so sure if there was problems with licenses and whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

hanton12 wrote: »
    thats only coverage. Game starts at 6pm western time so that would be 11pm here, so same time as previous years.

Was considering heading to Dublin for it this year, but not so sure now. Have been up there in years past and was great craic, but wouldnt be so sure if there was problems with licenses and whatever.

I've watched it at home the last two years, but in '05 I watched it in Fitzsimons in temple bar. They have a late license even on Sunday anyway. A lot of the crowd aren't there specifically for the SB, but there's still a decent enough atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 wack1

last year a few of us went to Rainards for Dublin Rebels party similar to previous year, Last year was fine, place was packed good atnosphere until they closed the bar at 1.30 and turned off the game around 1.50 with 12 mins left in 4th Qtr, Thye gave us some excuse about the Garda wanting the place shut early but nobody had seen any sight of any garda around the area all night,
    would be a little concerned again this year of history repeating itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

is it eastern time or western time....big difference!!!
    6pm western is about 2am GMT.

• Advertisement

it's 6pm ET which is 11.00pm here
    probably still wont even start at that time
    the games are always advertised for a start time but usually starts a few mins later
    Steelers v Jags was down as 8.00pm game last sat night but didnt start till around 8.15 which was 1.15am over here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

As its in Arizona this year they have it as a 6pm kick off EST meaning 11pm GMT.

As its in Arizona this year they have it as a 6pm kick off EST meaning 11pm GMT.

yeah we established that.. well done!

wack1 wrote: »
    yeah we established that.. well done!

Yup noticed that after i typed it but i typed it anyway. Sure some people on here need to be told twice :D:D

Maybe we should list the bars based on last year and say what time they closed at. I'll start.

Woolshed - showed whole bowl right til end last year.Game started at 1am last year finished at 5.

Maybe we should list the bars based on last year and say what time they closed at. I'll start.

Woolshed - showed whole bowl right til end last year.Game started at 1am last year finished at 5.

was it packed?? is worth going there. went rainards last 2 years
    seahawks v steelers was shown to the end.
    last year wasnt

last year wasnt

Jammed last 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MC_G

I've been to the Woolshed for the Superbowl, they did show the whole game. Kickoff this year, as every year, will be around 6:20 EST or 11:20 GMT. The fact that the game is in Arizona has no bearing on kickoff time. The game could be played in London and kickoff would still be 6:20 EST, its dictated by television networks requiring that the game be over at as reasonable time so they don't lose ratings due to people going to bed in NY, Boston, Philly etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Giants08

last year wasnt

Maybe had you stayed to the end last year you would have seen it all. I did.

Buskers will be showing it this year and looks like it'll be serving til 2.30 so should get to see whole game. There'll be about 50 from my club there. There's a good few Americans who watch the game there anyway and then there'll be lots of people who'll come in anyway cos it's on

• Advertisement

Buskers last 2 years had a notice on door saying they couldnt show 2nd half because of drinking licence laws. They dont stay open late on sundays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭westair

it's 6pm ET which is 11.00pm here
    probably still wont even start at that time
    the games are always advertised for a start time but usually starts a few mins later

The official start time of the game given by the organizers is actually 6.18pm EST

MC_G wrote: »
    I've been to the Woolshed for the Superbowl, they did show the whole game. Kickoff this year, as every year, will be around 6:20 EST or 11:20 GMT. The fact that the game is in Arizona has no bearing on kickoff time. The game could be played in London and kickoff would still be 6:20 EST, its dictated by television networks requiring that the game be over at as reasonable time so they don't lose ratings due to people going to bed in NY, Boston, Philly etc.

Yes hence why Arizona does matter :rolleyes: TV stations moved it to fit it in a prime slot where it wont affect the audience etc etc as you said as Arizona is on MST which it will be 4pm MST and 5pm CST and 6pm EST and 11pm GMT.

Actually, It's 3:20 PST, 4:20 MST(Local Time in Arizona), 5:20 CST, 6:20 EST. They kickoff time of the Superbowl is shortly after 6:00 EST regardless of whether it is played in San Diego (PST), Tempe/Pheonix (MST), Houston/New Orleans (CST), or Miami (EST). The only variation is due to however long it takes for whichever singer botches the US anthem to finish their rendition. When you said, "As it is in Arizona kickoff will be 6:00 EST" The as it is in Arizona part is redundant at best. The Superbowl last year did not start at 01:00 GMT and I doubt that you were in the Woolshed until 05:00 GMT.

The Superbowl last year did not start at 01:00 GMT and I doubt that you were in the Woolshed until 05:00 GMT.

Eh yes we were last 2 years. They lock the place down after a certain time.

And Mc G you said you have been to the woolshed so you should know.

Actually, It's 3:20 PST, 4:20 MST(Local Time in Arizona), 5:20 CST, 6:20 EST. They kickoff time of the Superbowl is shortly after 6:00 EST regardless of whether it is played in San Diego (PST), Tempe/Pheonix (MST), Houston/New Orleans (CST), or Miami (EST). The only variation is due to however long it takes for whichever singer botches the US anthem to finish their rendition. When you said, "As it is in Arizona kickoff will be 6:00 EST" The as it is in Arizona part is redundant at best. The Superbowl last year did not start at 01:00 GMT and I doubt that you were in the Woolshed until 05:00 GMT.

Oh and I wasnt talking about the 20 mins I was actually talking about the actual start time is dependant on TV coverage i.e what time of day they show it at. not whether its 6 or 6.20.

Oh and yes the loacation would be a factor due to the time zones. As TV people need to make sure again as you contradict yourself on that its shown to please the mass audience.

Facts And Figures
    Site: Dolphin Stadium - Miami Gardens, Fla.
    Date: Feb. 4, 2007
    Game time: 6 p.m. EST

from http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/faninformation

Maybe you were there until 5:00, I was there until the game ended in 2006 and they quickly cleared the place and I believe I was in bed by half 3. Still, the game didn't start at 01:00 GMT either year and the city or time zone that it is played in does not change the fact that the game starts shortly after 6:00 EST in every year I can remember.

Local time may change every year, but as you said to ensure maximum ratings the game starts at 6ish EST every year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭westair

Local time may change every year, but as you said to ensure maximum ratings the game starts at 6ish EST every year.

Yes, you are right - ratings are everything as the whole thing is totally geared to the lucrative east coast advertising money. Huge sums are spent on the Superbowl ads - they have become a very important and traditional part of the spectacle. They are rated afterwards and gain even more attention.

Advertisement