Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for items on restricted list

Options
  • 06-01-2008 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭

Last week all firearm dealers got a letter from DOJ stating that as of 01/01/2008 all applications for items on the restricted list will have to go to the commissioner. Only problem is they haven't released the restricted list yet I quote "this will be released in due course most likely by the end of January '08".
    this looks like some kind of progress, good or bad i'm not sure

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Have you had sight of this letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Nice to see they have done things back ways again, cart before the horse.

So if its to be reliesed so soon is there any word from any of the shooting groups that have met with the government over this issue? Or are there meeting in the pipeline?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DJKH

chem wrote: »
    Nice to see they have done things back ways again, cart before the horse.

So if its to be reliesed so soon is there any word from any of the shooting groups that have met with the government over this issue? Or are there meeting in the pipeline?

I have also seen the letter sent to dealers in which the restricted list has been referred to.

The intent was always to have the firearms licensing guidelines issued prior to the issue of the restricted list.

The fundamental thing to understand that a restricted firearm is not a banned firearm, all that needs to happen is that the application is processed by the commissioner or his nominee.

It would be of considerable concern if the restricted list is issued prior to the Firearms licensing guidelines being agreed and published.

During my time in discussions with the DOJ on the amendments this was my understanding and it is documented.

Unfortunately one needs to direct all questions related to the Firearms Consultative Committee to the SSAI, the chief negotiator is Declan Cahill, I would suggest all queries be directed to him ASAP, because it is like the shot from a rifle once unleashed there will be no calling it back.

The original draft was unreasonable and we made the appropriate recommendations for change, I just hope the changes were made, else people with 10 shot semi auto .22's will be looking for 5 shot mags!

You may also note from the letter that it appears that the three year certification has been deferred, this means that we will be licensing all firearms again this July for one year.

I understood that one fundamental issue to the tackled by the the FCP was the issue of the fees for the three year certificate, we all welcomed the three year certificate, perhaps another question for SSAI and Declan Cahill, there will be a FCP progress briefing at the SSAI AGM due to be held in Abbeyleix on Thursday Evening 17th January, this however seems to be the best kept secret of the year so far! I would encourage maximum participation by interested parties.

Kind Regards
    Declan Keogh
    Chairman
    Firearms Legislation advisory Group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Have you had sight of this letter?

yup I had quick read of it, as OP siad there's a lot of other stuff about 3 year licenses and dealer classifications, that was the only bit that caught my attention.
    but it dose look like they aren't gonna take anything back IF you have a valid reason to have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

I reckon that the restricted list will be a good thing because the decision will be in the hands of a smaller group of people who will have a lot more experience of what is needed or not for different types of shooting.

The situation in Kilkenny being a case in point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Now, this may sound fairly thick, but if we have a restricted list, what doesn't go on it, and then what's the procedure for acquiring them? Is it just a list of firearms or is there going to be an unrestricted list as well or what? Like I said, may sound fairly thick, but I'm not familiar with the ins and outs of the situation, and would like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Has anyone got any indication of what is going to be on the restricted list??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

triskell wrote: »
    Last week all firearm dealers got a letter from DOJ stating that as of 01/01/2008 all applications for items on the restricted list will have to go to the commissioner.
    triskell wrote: »
    Only problem is they haven't released the restricted list yet I quote "this will be released in due course most likely by the end of January '08".

So what appliocations will they be sending to the commissioner from now until the restricted list is released? Will the applicant be informed that his/her application has been forwarded to the commissioner?

What was the purpose of telling firearms dealers? Did they consider this the easiest way tp "spread the word"? If so would it not have been more effective to tell the relative clubs and associations? Or have they been informed??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DJKH

Has anyone got any indication of what is going to be on the restricted list??:confused:

Probably all pistols and rifle calibres in excess of .270, certainly to include .223 however and all semi auto centerfires!

Until the section of the act that pertains to the restricted firearms is signed into law then the process for application is the same as it currently is now.

In all probablity the mechanism for the application will be the same as it is now, with the inital application made at local station level, so unfortunately the same service will prevail as one has now, if it is bad, it will stay bad, if it is good then you are lucky.

Remember if a refusal is notified regardless of the source local super or commissioner, the decision can be appealed to the district court, must be done within a month of the refusal.

In any case I will make this very important point, it will be a mistake and not the intent of the legislation to bring forward the restricted list before the firearms guidelines are published and agreed!

Declan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

just wondering if this 'restricted listed' means that anyone that currently owns a firearm on the list can keep the firearm and that nobodyelse can apply for one....say if you own a 9mm that you can hold onto it til your dying day or do you have to surrender the firearm??? may seem a daft question but id like to know the answer...thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Never mind actually, found the information. Discomforting, to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Clash

Mac Tire wrote: »
    just wondering if this 'restricted listed' means that anyone that currently owns a firearm on the list can keep the firearm and that nobodyelse can apply for one....say if you own a 9mm that you can hold onto it til your dying day or do you have to surrender the firearm??? may seem a daft question but id like to know the answer...thanks guys

I think that it will have to go through the restricted procedure for renewal.

Advertisement