Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! DNS for new server not working...

Options
  • 06-01-2008 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I really hope someone can help me with this. I have been trying to sort it out for days. I am going insane.

I recently got a new server.

This is the setup on my old server:

My server is also my nameserver. This means hostago.com and ns1.hostago.com are both on the same server. This works fine. I do not need glue records. It just works.

(Note the reason I have this weird setup is because I have many domains, and updating the nameserver records every time I move host - especially for many .ie domains - is a pain in the arse.)

My new server:

I want the same setup. Unfortunately it is not working.

When I update the nameserver IP's at my registrar (eNom) my websites just become unavailable. Ping errors are things like error 11004.

Three independent engineers have looked at my DNS and say everything is set up fine. They say there is a firewall (or something like that) blocking my server from working properly at the data centre.

The data centre engineers say the DNS was not fine and that I need glue records for this to work. The three engineers I used previously say this is not true.

eNom say I do not need glue records and that there is something wrong at the data centre stopping this from working.

AARRRGH.

Everyone is saying something different. I don't care who is right or wrong or lying or whatever. I just want this to work.

Does anyone have any practical advice I can use to sort this out? I fear this is going to drag on for days or weeks.

Thanks very much for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

When you say 'stopping this from working' - what exactly isn't working?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Try zonecheck.fr to get a proper diagnostic of the DNS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

When you say 'stopping this from working' - what exactly isn't working?

When I update the nameserver IPs at my registrar, my websites become unreachable. I have spoken to many independent engineers about this and they say it has nothing to do with glue records. The problem is either my server or the data centre.
    blacknight wrote:
    Try zonecheck.fr to get a proper diagnostic of the DNS

Thanks, I gave that a try.

It seems port 53 is unreachable. I've had someone look at my server and port 53 is listening, bind is running, and there is no firewall on my server blocking access to this port.

Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ecodub

Here is a good site to sort out that stuff

http://www.dnsstuff.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

When you change the IP address of a domain, it can take up to 24 hours to propagate that change - when you change the IP of a nameserver it can take significantly longer (up to a week sometimes).

This is due to the fact that most registries cache the addresses for Nameservers longer than for regulaqr records, as they don't expect them to change very often.

As long as the old DNS server and the new DNS server contain identical records (all pointing at the new server) you should be ok with the propagation and your users shouldnt notice any downtime.

• Advertisement

Well wouldn't the caching be pointing to my old server, which is still active?

When you look at this -

http://www.zonecheck.fr/cgi-bin/zc.cgi?zone=jobseeker.ie&ns0=ns1.hostago.com&ips0=84.51.251.243&ns1=ns2.hostago.com&ips1=84.51.251.244&ns2=&ips2=&ns3=&ips3=&ns4=&ips4=&ns5=&ips5=&ns6=&ips6=&ns7=&ips7=&intro=t&explain=t&details=t&progress=counter&report=byseverity&format=html&lang=en&errorlvl=&profile=automatic&chkmail=t&chkzone=t&chkrir=t&transp3=ipv4&transp3=ipv6&transp4=std

- you can see port 53 isn't reachable.

However, it is listening -

[root@server ~]# netstat -an|grep tcp|grep :53
    tcp 0 0 84.51.251.244:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 84.51.251.243:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN

Bind is running, and turning off the servers firewall makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

dublindude wrote: »
    It seems port 53 is unreachable. I've had someone look at my server and port 53 is listening, bind is running, and there is no firewall on my server blocking access to this port.
    The nameservers are not answering for NS or SOA. Are you changing the zonefile manually or using a control panel?

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    The nameservers are not answering for NS or SOA. Are you changing the zonefile manually or using a control panel?

Regards...jmcc

I haven't made the changes myself. However I've had 6 engineers look at my server at this stage so everything should be configured fine...

I haven't made the changes myself. However I've had 6 engineers look at my server at this stage so everything should be configured fine...
    Try 'dig -taxfr hostago.com @ns1.hostago.com' on the server if you can and see if it is getting a full zone back. Also check the serial at the top of the SOA. (dig -tsoa hostago.com @ns1.hostago.com). Then use host -C hostago.com (from the server).

Regards...jmcc

Thanks jmcc.

Here you go -
    Right it seems to be working internally. It may be a firewall issue as packets going to the DNS port might be being dropped. Is iptables active on the box?

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Hey

I just tried this -

[root@server ~]# service apf stop
    Stopping APF: [ OK ]
    [root@server ~]# service iptables stop
    Flushing firewall rules: [ OK ]
    Setting chains to policy ACCEPT: mangle filter [ OK ]
    Unloading iptables modules: [ OK ]

And then checked -

http://www.zonecheck.fr/cgi-bin/zc.cgi?zone=jobseeker.ie&ns0=ns1.hostago.com&ips0=84.51.251.243&ns1=ns2.hostago.com&ips1=84.51.251.244&ns2=&ips2=&ns3=&ips3=&ns4=&ips4=&ns5=&ips5=&ns6=&ips6=&ns7=&ips7=&intro=t&explain=t&details=t&progress=counter&report=byseverity&format=html&lang=en&errorlvl=&profile=automatic&chkmail=t&chkzone=t&chkrir=t&transp3=ipv4&transp3=ipv6&transp4=std

Exact same problem...

According to an engineer in the US -

"I tested and your server is answering on port 53 from outside, and the firewall is allowing connections on port 53 "

WTF...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

According to an engineer in the US -

"I tested and your server is answering on port 53 from outside, and the firewall is allowing connections on port 53 "

WTF...
    So Bind is actually responding? Rather strange alright that it works for them...

http://www.dollardns.net/cgi-bin/dnscrawler/index.pl?server=ns1.hostago.com&proto=tcp&name=ns1.hostago.com&type=ANY&class=IN&lr=12&submit=Send+Query#report

Response here as well but its running on TCP. I will admit I havn't much experience with DNS but don't most requests work on UDP?

What I think they mean is they did some test on my server to make sure the port is open to the outside world...

Webmonkey wrote: »
    So Bind is actually responding? Rather strange alright that it works for them...

http://www.dollardns.net/cgi-bin/dnscrawler/index.pl?server=ns1.hostago.com&proto=tcp&name=ns1.hostago.com&type=ANY&class=IN&lr=12&submit=Send+Query#report

Response here as well but its running on TCP. I will admit I havn't much experience with DNS but don't most requests work on UDP?
    That's exactly what's wrong. The AXFR is done over TCP but the normal queries are over UDP. It may be a problem in the afp configuration but I am not familar with its configuration.

Regards...jmcc

Do you mean apf rather than afp?

I've shut down apf and the problem still exists...

Do you mean apf rather than afp?

I've shut down apf and the problem still exists...
    The firewall program (apf). Something is probably blocking the udp DNS queries. The US engineer may have only done an AXFR rather than a lookup. Stopping iptables may be wrong. It may be doing some NATing. You need someone who knows more about iptables. It might be best to restore it to the initial state and get an engineer at the data centre to take a look at it.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc - if it's any use, I can give you root access to my server and you can have a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Is it redhat type OS?

do chkconfig iptables off, chkconfig apf off

reboot the box, just to make sure everything is clear.

Paul

You're offering a random user on a bulletin board root access to your server?

Are you insane????

• Advertisement

Jmcc isn't random :)

Paul

Also I'll sort the issue if you want. For free!!!!

blacknight wrote:
    You're offering a random user on a bulletin board root access to your server?

Are you insane????
    flamegrill wrote: »

Paul

Exactly. It is obvious from boards.ie he is not some dodgy hacker...

Is it redhat type OS?

do chkconfig iptables off, chkconfig apf off

reboot the box, just to make sure everything is clear.

Paul

OK, tried this. Same problem unfortunately...

jmcc - if it's any use, I can give you root access to my server and you can have a look?
    It is best to get the local engineers to take a look at it as they would be more familiar with the distro and what is installed on it than I would be.

Regards...jmcc

It is best to get the local engineers to take a look at it as they would be more familiar with the distro and what is installed on it than I would be.

Regards...jmcc

No worries. I've been trying that for a few days though :)

dublindude pm me access details and ill take a look

Yeah. I'm just a statistical oddity. :)

Regards...jmcc

Yeah. I'm just a statistical oddity. :)

Regards...jmcc

Not exactly the words I used :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Paul, just sent you on the details there.

Cheers!

Advertisement