Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam repeats and failing?

Options
  • 06-01-2008 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭

Hi was just wondering if any one knows if this procedure exists.With the exams happening at the mo there is alot of chat about failing and I've heard talk that if you fail an exam but do well in another one you can move some of the marks from one subject to another making it so you pass.
    I've never heard of this before but a few people I have talked to reckon you can do it.
    So anyway, I was just wondering if any one knows if this is true and if so do you know how to go about doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

never heard anything about it....I've heard about passing a good CA mark but never moving marks between subjects.....I can't see that being allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 45,661 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ec18 wrote: »
    never heard anything about it....I've heard about passing a good CA mark but never moving marks between subjects.....I can't see that being allowed

Yes you can.

If you receive more than 48% in one subject, and 36% in another, you can transfer your 8% (twice the points you fail by) to the subject you failed, so that you gain a pass.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

A student who does not pass all subjects may still pass overall by the rules governing compensation. To pass in this way, you use ‘excess’ marks in subjects that you passed to compensate for failures in other subjects. There are rules that govern this process:

- If the modules taken amount to fewer than 25 credits you may compensate for only one failed module of five credits failed module,

- If your course stage has 30 credits you may compensate for ten credits,

- You may not compensate into any failed module if your mark for that subject is less than 35%,

- Compensation can only be applied where all examination subjects appropriate to a stage are presented at one sitting.

- Compensation may be applied only to enable a student to pass in the examination as a whole.

- In certain courses, some subjects may not be compensated or used to compensate.

- You must have enough ‘excess’ marks in the other subjects to make double the deficiency – see the example below.

- Between Semesters
    Compensation can only occur within a semester. It cannot occur between semesters.

Example
    Module 1 ....42
    Module 2 ....37
    Module 3 ....40
    Module 4 ....44
    Module 5 ....40
    Module 6 ....40

This student has a deficiency of 3 marks in module 2. However, there are six excess marks – two from module 1 and four from module 4: so the student has double the deficiency and passes by compensation.

Source: WIT Accademic Structure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

okay....that seems strange for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

cheers for that guys, really quick and comprehensive response.much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

As far as I'm aware, to compensate a fail, you must get 35+% in the fail and have a grade of 60+% (could be 70+%) in another subject. You can only do this for two subjects per semester though. Thats how it works in the business school anyway, not sure about other schools in the college.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Minto wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, to compensate a fail, you must get 35+% in the fail and have a grade of 60+% (could be 70+%) in another subject. You can only do this for two subjects per semester though. Thats how it works in the business school anyway, not sure about other schools in the college.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=54798388&postcount=4

I always thought it was 60%, but according to the above it isn't. Ill ask for clarification from the Exams Dept., as it would not surprise me if the above was wrong.

Exams Dept. refered me to my school.. should have a response from them when I get home. Students Union are pretty sure the above PDF I quoted is correct but will seak clarification.

Should have an answer tommrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Mini

I never knew of this, does it automatically happen or must I cry little tears first? cause i certainly think I will need it for my the exam i just did ........

Mini wrote: »
    I never knew of this, does it automatically happen or must I cry little tears first? cause i certainly think I will need it for my the exam i just did ........

You need to speak to the course head / your school about it.. :)

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Exams Dept. refered me to my school.. should have a response from them when I get home. Students Union are pretty sure the above PDF I quoted is correct but will seak clarification.

Should have an answer tommrow.

Still some confusion, as Chart are claiming the PDF is wrong. The School of Science are kind of agreeing to it, with some changes.

Still waiting to find out who is actually correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

just wanted to say thanks to sully for looking into this so much, I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say thanks and I really appreciate all your doing.

Not a problem. Its probably about time we straightened this mess out and found out the exact position!

A student who does not pass all subjects may still pass overall by the rules governing compensation. To pass in this way, you use ‘excess’ marks in subjects that you passed to compensate for failures in other subjects. There are rules that govern this process:

- If the modules taken amount to fewer than 25 credits you may compensate for only one failed module of five credits failed module,

- If your course stage has 30 credits you may compensate for ten credits,

- You may not compensate into any failed module if your mark for that subject is less than 35%,

- Compensation can only be applied where all examination subjects appropriate to a stage are presented at one sitting.

- Compensation may be applied only to enable a student to pass in the examination as a whole.

- In certain courses, some subjects may not be compensated or used to compensate.

- You must have enough ‘excess’ marks in the other subjects to make double the deficiency – see the example below.

- Between Semesters
    Compensation can only occur within a semester. It cannot occur between semesters.

Example
    Module 1 ....42
    Module 2 ....37
    Module 3 ....40
    Module 4 ....44
    Module 5 ....40
    Module 6 ....40

This student has a deficiency of 3 marks in module 2. However, there are six excess marks – two from module 1 and four from module 4: so the student has double the deficiency and passes by compensation.

Source: WIT Accademic Structure

Sorry for the delay. Students Union checked this matter out for me, and the college has had its official say.

The college have confirmed that the above description/link regarding compensation is correct. Reports that you need above 60% in another exam is incorrect (as suggested by Minto) and you can take from two subjects to compensate. Obviously conditions apply, as certain subjects (course dependent) you are not allowed compensate to pass - however, your course leader will let you know if this applies.

Examination Results will be available on the 15th February at 2:00 p.m.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

As far as business goes, this year, you need double the difference in one subject (no word on whether you can use a second subject) to compensate. So If you had a 50, you could compensate a 35, because you had double the 5 needed.

Minto wrote: »
    As far as business goes, this year, you need double the difference in one subject (no word on whether you can use a second subject) to compensate. So If you had a 50, you could compensate a 35, because you had double the 5 needed.

Then there is something wrong because I asked that question and was told it was not correct. All schools are supposed to use the policy on the web. Conditions can be attached to certain subjects, but not schools.

I think it might be a good idea that a reminder is sent to each school, but ill ask the SU to contact your school to see what there at. Can I ask what course your doing, and was it a leturer or year head that told you that?

Then there is something wrong because I asked that question and was told it was not correct. All schools are supposed to use the policy on the web. Conditions can be attached to certain subjects, but not schools.

Iv double checked. The Academic Council set the policy (the one on the web) and no school is allowed have their own policy. They must all be consistent and use the one on the web - otherwise, it wouldn't be fair (one of the reasons why it was changed). The policy that is on the web is the most up to date one that all schools have to use.

There seems to be lack of communication in your department, which is most likely (it happens!) so Cathy from the Students Union will be speaking with the assistant registrar tomorrow for a reminder to be issue to the schools reminding them the policy on the web is the one to be used.

The policy mentioned by Minto is incorrect. Its an old policy, no longer in affect. They might simply be using an old policy, but the reminder should fix this :)

Advertisement