Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 320i SE 2005 - Trade in now or July ?

Options
  • 06-01-2008 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a 320i SE with some extras, automatic, leather, 18" wheels, etc.. cost me 58,000 new back in June 2005.

Am trying to figure out what I should do now based on all the VRT/TAX changes due to take affect in July ?

I would like to change to 3 Series Coupe but am unsure whether I should be looking at diesel or petrol, change now or wait until July ? What will the impact be if I wait, worse trade in, or no big deal ?

Any insights or advice appreciated. :confused:

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Its worth having a read through the first sticky to give you more information on the impact of the changes on your new motor. Generally diesel will be the better option from July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Cheers, TheBazman. I had reviewed the earlier post, but was still looking for any guidance on my particular situation.

I am just wondering what affect all this will have on the trade value of my car or not ? How will it vary between now, versus July, etc..

I can see the TAX and VRT changes from the earlier thread however am just wondering what others think about trade in, etc.. ?

Thought's welcome.

Cheers !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The 320i will still be cheaper after July than the 320d to buy, but the 320i will cost €290 to tax, compared to €150 for the 320d.

The Auto models will be relatively expensive in these models though(because they attract a higher VRT rate due to higher emissions, and the higher VRT rate goes for the whole car). A 320i with an Automatic gearbox puts out 156 g/km(manual does 151 g/km), so that's 24% VRT and €430 road tax, compared to 20% VRT for the manual.

In the 320d, the emissions with the Auto jump from 128 to 145, so that means 20% VRT and €290 road tax, compared to 16% VRT and €150 road tax for the manual.

The important thing though is that whether you choose manual or Auto, petrol or diesel, it is still going a good deal cheaper to buy the car in July.

A 320i or 320d would cost €590 to tax now.

It's well worth considering the 6 cylinder models, even the petrols here are going to drop in price, the 325i will be in 24% VRT after July, and will in fact cost less in July than the 320d does now. Or the 325d which boasts 20% VRT and will be cheaper than the 325i to buy(and also costs less than the 320d now and in fact is only a shade dearer than the 320i now).

The 325i averages 39.8 mpg, which is actually a bit better than what you are getting with the 320i Auto, and the 325d averages 47.9 mpg, which is definately better than the 320i.

On the other hand, the Auto 325i does exactly the same mpg as the manual, however the 325d Auto averages 44.1 mpg, which puts the diesel in 24% VRT and will cost more than the 325i Auto to buy, but if it's a manual you want, the diesel will be cheaper.

The 325i and Auto 325d will cost €430 to tax, and a manual 325d would cost €290 to tax come July(compared to €1290 for both models now).

See the main sticky, in page 8 there is a price list for the BMW's(manuals only though), and you can make your own judgement from that yourself.

BMW has already promised that the VRT saving will be passed on in full to the customer, so you can take the figures to be true, unless they increase the spec count of the cars, but this will be self evident anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭TheOneToBe

Probably it will stay same...new car would be cheaper but also your trade in...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

E92 wrote: »
    Or the 325d which boasts 20% VRT and will be cheaper than the 325i to buy(and also costs less than the 320d now and in fact is only a shade dearer than the 320i now).
    Shurely shome mishtake?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

E92, appreciate the detailed reponse ! Food for thought !!

What do you think will happen with trade-in value, or will it just rebalance along with everything else ?

Anan1 wrote: »
    Shurely shome mishtake?;)

155 g/km for the 325d, 170 g/km for the 325i, what part of this factually correct information is wrong;)?

The OP is on about the new models which would have EfficientDynamics, I don't know what they're like without EfficientDynamics, but I would say they were a lot worse than that.

The 325d with an Automatic gearbox pollutes 169 g/km, only 1 better than a 325i with either transmission, and hence 24% VRT. So for the benefit of the OP, a 325i is dearer to buy if you want a manual, but a 325d is dearer if you want an Auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I understood your post to mean that the 325d costs less than the 320d now, which of course it doesn't. On rereading though, i'm thinking now that you mean that the 325d will cost less in July than the 320d does now?

Anan1 wrote: »
    On rereading though, i'm thinking now that you mean that the 325d will cost less in July than the 320d does now?

That's exactly what I meant, and the same goes for the 325i too. Sorry if it wasn't that clear.

Advertisement