Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving back to Limerick

• 06-01-2008 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,2 things
    Moving back to Limerick after been away travelling with the missus for the last year,spent 3 years in college and also worked for a further 2 there,loved it.
    Is it just me or has rent increased dramatically in the last year and there seems to be a definite shortage of 1 bedroom apartments in and around the city.
    Secondly,has anything changed in Limerick in the past year?Any new pubs open,any old haunts closed?Any new shops,i was down in Limerick briefly to do some christmas shopping and didnt notice anything too new.
    Any info in general would be greatly welcome,

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

jackncoke wrote: »
    Hi there,2 things
    Moving back to Limerick after been away travelling with the missus for the last year,spent 3 years in college and also worked for a further 2 there,loved it.
    Is it just me or has rent increased dramatically in the last year and there seems to be a definite shortage of 1 bedroom apartments in and around the city.
    Secondly,has anything changed in Limerick in the past year?Any new pubs open,any old haunts closed?Any new shops,i was down in Limerick briefly to do some christmas shopping and didnt notice anything too new.
    Any info in general would be greatly welcome,

Cheers

Don't really know anything about the apartment side of things but I'm sure you'll always find something!

Pubs: Flannerys have opened a new pub by Smyths/Icon at the back of Newsoms. The older flannerys at the end of Denmark St was knocked and rebuilt and is now back open! McDaids has been revamped and renamed as The Cuckoo Box.

Shops: 2 M&S's are on their way apparently aswell as two new shopping centres (one in city and the other at the parkway). Bedford Row has plenty of new units which include Jack&Jones, Diesel (not proper one), Clarks and Schuh with Tommy Hilfiger, Tom Tailor and Pamela Scott opening soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Pshamrock is that cuckoo box open and what is it like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Willstev wrote: »
    Pshamrock is that cuckoo box open and what is it like?

Yeah it opened about two weeks ago!
    Haven't been in there myself (under age :p)
    but I've heard a few say it's nice in there. Early days yet though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭Armada

I am in a similar situation, I have been travelling for close to a year with my g/f and lived in London for 2 years before that so its been nearly 3 years in total since I lived in Limerick.

Alot has changed for me, particularly prices, they have gone THROUGH THE ROOF!!!

We are moving into an apartment tomorrow actually, its nice, its new, its fairly big but its bloody expensive and the only reason we are taking it is because there seems to be a monopoly type situation gong on: What I mean is that all the apartments seem to priced the same (with the exception of holes in the ground) So why not get a nice new place for the same price as a not so new place? Its just as expensive and I have no idea if I will be able to afford it but hey, God loves a trier ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Lazers pew pew

Armada wrote: »
    I am in a similar situation, I have been travelling for close to a year with my g/f and lived in London for 2 years before that so its been nearly 3 years in total since I lived in Limerick.

Alot has changed for me, particularly prices, they have gone THROUGH THE ROOF!!!

We are moving into an apartment tomorrow actually, its nice, its new, its fairly big but its bloody expensive and the only reason we are taking it is because there seems to be a monopoly type situation gong on: What I mean is that all the apartments seem to priced the same (with the exception of holes in the ground) So why not get a nice new place for the same price as a not so new place? Its just as expensive and I have no idea if I will be able to afford it but hey, God loves a trier ;)

hope its not riverpoint you're moving into

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭Souness

Thinking of moving there myself, whats up with it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭Armada

No, its not Riverpoint, Old Windmill Court actually. Its very nice, spent my first night there last night, its warm comfortable, clean, quite, perfect so far.

:)

I viewed a place in riverpoint, it was nice alright but not worth the money they were asking. The view of the Shannon bridge wasnt exactly awe inspiring but its one of the better views avaiable around Limerick, if thats what your looking for.

Personally I dont care as long as the sun can get in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Didnt you say you lived there not too long ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Contrary to popular opinion rents are dropping. In my view as less East Europeans come back from holidays and more lose jobs from construction more supply will come on the market. Include for the fact that the investors desperately need someone to pay rent (their mortgage) and they are under pressure to drop prices. I believe Riverpoint rents started at 1,500 and are now down to 950. A lot of empty units.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Interesting, Goes to show the kind of profits they were making because they are able to drop the prices even though the price of electricity is still going up and up

• Advertisement

Contrary to popular opinion rents are dropping. In my view as less East Europeans come back from holidays and more lose jobs from construction more supply will come on the market. Include for the fact that the investors desperately need someone to pay rent (their mortgage) and they are under pressure to drop prices. I believe Riverpoint rents started at 1,500 and are now down to 950. A lot of empty units.

My rent has gone up by 50% on this time last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Quick update,still havent found anywhere,have only found two places within our price range and which we liked and we were overlooked by the landlord for other tenants,if anyone knows of any apartments going in limerick,post here or pm me,and yes,i do check the post and daft.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irelandireland

after living in riverpoint for 1 year i had to leave,
    neighbours were noisy, left rubbish out in the hallways,
    in house security are impossible to get in contact with,
    reoccuring problems with the heating,
    maintenance men were not helpful and took sometimes weeks to fix problems (i was left with no heat for 4 and a half weeks in december and january because knowbody was awnsering phones)
    landlord (kersten mehl) is very unprofessional and arrogant and would certainly advise not chosing him as a landlord, his staff are miserable and unhelpful and make you feel as if they are going out of their way to help you when its what they get paid for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

First post.....and you resurrect a thread that's 3 years old.
    Someone has an agenda ?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

wow,this is weird looking back at a thread I started 3 years ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 quid quo pro

I know it's an old post, but just in case anyone is thinking of renting in Riverpoint... like the second last post... beware. I'm renting there for the last year. It's extremely noisey (noise from people leaving sin bin at 2am on a Tuesday night etc... oh to be a student lol) and whilst the views are lovely, the windows haven't been cleaned since I've been there. Not much point paying for views when all you see is dirt and grime. I rang the management company M&C and was told that while they acknowledged they badly needed cleaning, the owners didn't have the money to pay for it! Other issues include people parking in bays belonging to flats and damage to cars when parked in wrong bays....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I know it's an old post

If you know it's an old thread, then leave it alone. The word "but" isn't a Get Out of Jail Free card for breaching forum-etiquette.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement