Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tried and Tested

• 06-01-2008 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

I thought maybe we could start a thread on recommending beauty products, a sort of tried and tested thread.

Anyhow I cant live with out Clinique High definition Mascara and lancome juicy tubes in make up.

I love urban decay big fatty lip plumper(Does anyone know where you can get this in ireland other than e bay)

And palmers cocoa butter is the best...

I asked Quality if we could to this..... Basically anything you think is a good idea, beauty product, shops, games, music, movies... anything you have tried and think is a good idea, and you want to recommed to the other girls!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

Currently loving Armani foundation but want to try this mineral business out next. I know loads of zee laydees love MAC, I love their eyeshadows but their foundations are much too heavy duty for my skin I'm afraid and don't suit me at all. Also love Lancome mascara...tis great...have really long lashes anyway so this just makes them go BANG ha! MAC and Stila for eyeshadows and blush. Have a great brow colour thingy from Bobbi Brown that I use at the moment too. I heart make up. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I <3: No. 7 Amazing Eyes pencil and Colour Calming green make-up base, Lancome Hydra-Zen Neurocalm moisturiser, Mac Pigment, Lush Eggsnog lipbalm, Revlon blush.

I'm taking care of my nails of late, Sally Hansen Diamond strength nail polish and the Sally Hansen Moisturising remover get my vote. Waterproof eye makeup remover - L'Oreal Professional Elixer stuff. I was very dubious at first, but it's great.

Not a big fan of Lancome Mascara - well, Flextencils anyway. Maybelline Define-A-Lash is infinitely better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

The Olay 7 signs serum is fantastic. Found a huge difference to the clarify of my skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭thecleverone

Dermalogica soothing eye make up remover is fab, Removes really stubborn mascara straight away. Defo recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

Rimmel Clear Complection concealer couldn't be without it for daily use! Though use Stila concealer to go with my foundation.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

yves st laurent fauxcils mascara.
    cannot live with out it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Burts bees lip balm... I can only find the mint one here though which sucks because it makes my lips feel horrible and tingly. The normal one is AMAZING.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Papillon87 wrote: »
    Currently loving Armani foundation but want to try this mineral business out next.

I love my Armani Luminous Silk foundation!! Love it!! It's lasted me ages too!!
    Also really want to try mineral foundation out!

Also love my Dior Show Mascara!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

My Sephora brushes...best value for money ever... I heart them! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Bluedolphin I love your sig :)

My beauty essentials are benefit highbeam and max factor masterpiece mascara :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I rarely wear makeup but when I do I wouldn't be without my Stila tinted moisturiser and eyeshadow. I'm obsessed with Bath and Body Works melon flavoured lipgloss as well, though I usually end up eating it all off myself in five minutes.

I also have an ongoing love affair with Jo Malone shower gel and body lotion. Yum yum yum.

Gauge wrote: »
    Burts bees lip balm... I can only find the mint one here though which sucks because it makes my lips feel horrible and tingly. The normal one is AMAZING.

Debenhams? They had a fairly big selection of Burts Bees stuff in Waterford at Christmas. So do the healthfood shops in Limerick. My dad got the honey flavour stick as far as I know... I have to say I love tingly lipbalms though. Sally Hansen plumping gloss feels AMAZING.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

Cant live without Vichy corrector foundation...lasts forever and covers everything! And of course Bourjois lipglosses!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

bodyshop moisturiser ftw!

and after that, black magic rimmel kohl eyeliner.
    after that... black eyeshadow and vaseline for substitute eyeliner when im rockin a more goth look :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

maple wrote: »
    yves st laurent fauxcils mascara.
    cannot live with out it.

+1 It's been irritating my eyes recently so I bought a Lancome one over Christmas. It's so crap in comparison. Think I'll have to stick with the amazing mascara and slightly irritated eyes.

Also, Armani foundation and my Clinique skin stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

I thought I'd put in some beauty products besides make -up, as after Christmas my skin has gone to the dogs but these things are REALLY helping me:

Bliss - lid and lash eye make up remover - a cooling gel that really removes the stubbornist waterproof mascara.

Origins - Out of trouble 10 minute face mask. This is on special offer at the moment also. I really needed a deep cleansing mask and was a bit weary about this one as I have sensitive skin bordering on dry and thought that the sayllic acid might irritate the skin, BUT not so, this is a great mask and it REALLy clears up spots and blocked pours.

Decleor - Neroli oil. This is brillant at softening the skin wihout leaving an oily residue and it sinks into the skin also. I'd highly recommend this.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Mac Technakohl Eyeliner - the best eyeliner there is. It stays on all day and night!

Avon Shadowstix - Easy to apply eyeshadow thats goes on really smoothly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I really love Revlon Colour Stay foundation atm, it stays on for absolutely ages, after I come home from a night out I don't want to take my makeup off coz its still perfect.

Also can't live without Benefit BadGal Lash mascara - its great.

Quality wrote: »

I love urban decay big fatty lip plumper(Does anyone know where you can get this in ireland other than e bay)

Have you tried Debenhams on Henry St in Dub? I know they used to have loads of Urban Decay..

Out of interest, what do you girlies use to apply foundation? I use a MAC stipler brush (puffy instead of flat) and its absolutely amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Lush!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Lush!

QFT!

• Advertisement

They still have the sale on, until Sunday I think. Picked up Almond Kisses for nada today! All the smells... yummy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Quality wrote: »
    Google knows all, and sees all, little girl icon_twisted.gif

Google says http://www.discountcosmeticsuk.com sells Urban Decay. Seemingly, shipping is £6.50 though. Found out through this.

And no, I don't know or care what it does:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Girls try this if you can, it worked on me and I can see a difference if I forget to use it for a while.
    http://www.origins.co.uk/templates/products/sp_nonshaded.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CAT3674&PRODUCT_ID=PROD66328

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

the_syco wrote: »
    Google knows all, and sees all, little girl icon_twisted.gif

Google says http://www.discountcosmeticsuk.com sells Urban Decay. Seemingly, shipping is £6.50 though. Found out through this.

And no, I don't know or care what it does:D

Thanks a million.... AIR KISSES!!! MWAH MWAH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I lurve Max Factor Masterpiece Max Mascara (jesus so many M's!) really bulks up my lashes.

Like NARS foundation too, forget which one as I'm too poor at the moment to buy it but it was good for my crazy combination skin!

Got a loverly Rimmel compact too, lots of nice eyeshadows, blushes and glosses in a red jewelled case - tis very purty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Babette08

Sally Hensen air brush legs is THE best fake tan on the market - wash off mind but flawless & can put it on all over. On top of St tropez makes it as close to a tan as you'll get in a bottle
    Life wouldn't be worth living without Mac's eyeshadows & cream blush (Brit Wit - love it!!). Lush Dream Cream for dry skin - full of essential oils. 2faced lip plump in clear does what it says on the tin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭netanyahu

bourjois 'glamour volume' mascara is great!!!

love the lush shampoo bars, especially the green one can't remember the name, think it's juniper??

avon do great mousse eyeshadows they're great for going out, silken sands is my fave....... and taupe

mac studio fix for no-shine face yumyums <3

body shop coconut body butter is eternally amazing for my skin and makes it so soft its unreal

as for foundation, max factor lasting performance foundations suit my skin rather well, it lasts ages and has decent coverage!!

for lips , the blistex intensive moisturizer is great for the winter... and the palmers cocoa peppermint and chocolate lip balm <3 it tastes yum but dries kinda fast but maybe thats me just licking it all off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭milli

netanyahu wrote: »
    avon do great mousse eyeshadows they're great for going out, silken sands is my fave....... and taupe

Would you recommend any other Avon products? Was thinkging of ordering some stuff from them, love their shampoos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

SarahSassy wrote: »
    The Olay 7 signs serum is fantastic. Found a huge difference to the clarify of my skin.

I found Olay to dry out my skin - when into blue eru one day and the staff there were brill. They went through make up & colours & cosmetics for my skin type. Really recommend the trip. Really good tips for type of foundation to match skin type

Oh, also rate LUSH
    Fantastic stuff - if you fancy anyone get Black Magic massage bar. Run abit on (well everwhere) - drives them wild. No mess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Kiki_

I love Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat for concealing the horrible dark shadows under my eyes. It's yer only man!

Can anyone recommend anything nice for wrinkles/laughter lines around the eyes? I'm only 25, but starting to get loads of them - is Botox the answer? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

Frizz-Ease Hair Serum from John Frieda - fab! Sunsilk Hairspray is also brill for keeping your locks in place.

milli wrote: »
    Would you recommend any other Avon products? Was thinkging of ordering some stuff from them, love their shampoos.

im definetly the person to ask, i was a representative for a few weeks but a compulsive buyer for months :D if theres any product in particular you'd like to ask about i'll let ya know what i thought if i've tried it!

the arabian glow face pearls are great. however, i wouldn't recommend the dusting brush they tend to advertise with it. it is too soft to 'catch' the particles from the pearls, so use a more rigid one. this is what and the results are very good.

the colour trend eyeshadows are very vibrant in colour. if you like pink, the that one is great, its bright and cheap. they usually have an offer on with these aswell.

the advance techniques anti frizz serum - it really improves hair shine but just use a small bit.

the glimmersticks eyeliner is nice. it gets a soft rounded top on it after a few uses which is good for smudge effects! and you don't need to sharpen which is always super handy..the arabian glow lip gloss in nude is really gorgeous aswell, i loved that so much but i lost it. will have to re order <3

the mousse foundation was a big no no for me, i didn't like the texture, and i found it made my skin look very dehydrated. it picked up on any morsel of dry skin and made it look 5 times worse. this could just be me though..!

once again though, i super loved the mousse eyeshadows. really subtle and good value!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭ThatGal

Well in my opinion the single greatest make-up invention ever has to be Benefit's 'Some Kind of Gorgeous' it covers like a foundation but doesn't turn your face a different colour. It's great for day time. Definitely couldn't live without it! Oh and their concealer is savage too!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MzFusspot

My black Bourjois Kohl and Contour eyeliner pencil. I have spent a lot of money on eyeliner in the past and this rocks, half the price of any others I've bought in the past and I would marry it if we lived in a better place and that was allowed. jet, jet black, goes on like a slick of coal on your eye, lasts forever, and doesn't smudge (unless you want it to). Great for very defined lines and smokey eyes. In contrast Bad Gal black liner from Benefit was the worst waste of money ever, giant waxy crayon, will smudge in a light breeze. Who needs a giant, thick eyeliner? Maybe it's my freakishly tiny eyelids but so impractical

Very good brushes, turn the crappest of eyeshadows into the best thing ever

Mac Concealer, bye bye eye lids the same colour as my pancreas

MzFusspot wrote: »
    My black Bourjois Kohl and Contour eyeliner pencil.

definetly agree its the best eyeliner i've ever come across and only costs around 7 euro <3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 kitt13

Make sure you wear sunglasses to help prevent further squint lines/wrinkles around the eyes. People will totally take the mick out of you but it makes a difference. Botox would probably not be the answer but a filler of some type but do you really want to start with that? Especially since the FDA in the states is reviewing the safety of Botox? http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aa6HcnAeNUA0&refer=home Yes, the most serious side effects, including death are those related to children who are receiving it in an "off the label" manner but still I'd think long and hard before doing this.

Have you seen a dermatologist? Maybe a topical retinoid might do the trick? Also, do you use an eye cream at night? Do you use a gentle eye make-up removed?

Kiki_ wrote: »
    I love Yves Saint Laurent Touche Eclat for concealing the horrible dark shadows under my eyes. It's yer only man!

Can anyone recommend anything nice for wrinkles/laughter lines around the eyes? I'm only 25, but starting to get loads of them - is Botox the answer? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

netanyahu wrote: »
    definetly agree its the best eyeliner i've ever come across and only costs around 7 euro <3

Thanks for that, I was looking for a good one and the old trial and error gets expensive!

The thing I can't live without is Sunsilk Curls and Waves Serum, cheap as chips but fab. I've curly hair, which goes to an afro without it. But typically, it is not to be found in Sligo...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

a few people mentioned they want to get into mineralise foundation. MAC do a lovely one. I've been using it for some months now... went in for a consultation and got exact colour match for my skin - apparently have been wearing the wrong shade my whole life... lol. not heavy at all, and the great thing with MAC is that you can get a concealer in the exact same shade as your foundaton for those lumps/bumps/blemishes that you want to hide... I haven't got great skin so always went for 'high coverage' foundations which is the worst thing you can do as it exacerbates the skin issue, since using mineralise my skin doesn't have any more breakouts. There's a matching mineralise finishing powder too, the 3 combined give an amazing, dewy finish.

I also love the Benefit eyebrow kit (pricey at about €35 but it lasts for over a year wth everday use)

and lastly, my fave product, a small tin of Vaseline for the lips - any other lipwear is OTT for daytime IMO

p.s. I forgot YSL Touche Eclat undereye highlighter but that goes without saying:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i personally love johnsons holiday skin but im the only one out of my friends that it works well on

i love the colour that it gives on my face just takes away my slightly corpse like tinge.I've also never had a problem with it coming out streaky or blotchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

I also love the Benefit eyebrow kit (pricey at about €35 but it lasts for over a year wth everday use)

Hi sorry whats the Benefit Eyebrow kit? I use mostly mac make up and love every bit of it. got benefit high beam though not sure what its supposed to do. i can't really notice anything when i wear it. also YSL touche e'clat i actually could NOT live without!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Riann

I like to look natural, so ironically I use some strange products. I don't like mascara, so I've begun brushing petroleum jelly onto my eyelashes after curling them--I guarantee it will hold the curl much better than mascara, and is far less irritating, and best of all, does not flake. It looks like your eyelashes are wet, like when you first get out of the shower.

I do like to use Rimmel oil absorbing face powder, however I cannot find the "translucent" shade anywhere anymore, and I'm nearly out. It's the only shade that works with my skin.

I like Burt's Bees anything for lips.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 WildWood

I've recently started using Clinique Sparkle Skin body exfoliating cream. It's the best body scrub i've come across that doesn't irritate my skin but still makes my elbows & knees baby smooth. Works fab pre fake tan or affter to get off stubborn bits. (God i make it sound like cilit bang..!)

Apart from that I love Boots Super Slim anti cellulite balm (I always think it smells like Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet- just gorgeous). Am on an onslaught to get myself ready for summer :)

pampers1 wrote: »

Hi sorry whats the Benefit Eyebrow kit? I use mostly mac make up and love every bit of it. got benefit high beam though not sure what its supposed to do. i can't really notice anything when i wear it. also YSL touche e'clat i actually could NOT live without!!!

The name of the product is Brow Zings. It is a small square compact like case with a brow shadow pallette (brown colour) and a brow taming pallette (sort of a Vaseline type substance again tinted prown), you get an applicator for each and a mini tweezers too - it's a nifty little thing and lasts ages... only thing is I don't think it woud suit fair people - there's 3 different shades and I use the lighted but i'm dark (olive skin, brown hair), but one of the Benefit Gals will test it on you before you buy. Personally I love it - it really defines my eyebrows but in a natural way the key is not to lash it on though. I would NEVER go back to eyebrow pencil - it's so obvious looking...

I think high beam is meant to be applied to areas of your face that catch light - e.g. on the bone at the edge of yor eyes beneath where you get crows feet, the area just above your top lip line (put it on before you apply lipwear), also I think the whole point of it IS subtlety, and that's it's only noticeable sometimes, I don't use it myself but was thinking of giving it a whirl. Anyone else out there think it's good? Also can anyone recomend a good night cream for me? I'm 28, have a couple of fine lines around the eyes but that's it really. I don't mind paying a few quid for a decent sized pot (maybe 60 or 70 quid), and I'd like to see the difference in the morning (not asking much!). I use a lot of Clarins (day moisturiser, toner, primer and body cream) and like it but haven't gotten any of their nightcreams, think i'll try another brand

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Carlito78

Hey,

Looking for a good foundation for a pressie for my Mam.
    Good coverage needed, very dark skin, brown eyes.. she wont come into BTs or whatever for a consultation so have to tryn and pick one myself. Dont wanna spend loads but want a good brand.. any ideas?

Ta!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Shirty

Hey there, can't remember the brand name but any of my friends who are black or asian use a brand from Debenhams thats only for dark skin, think it comes in at about €30, also MAC have a huge range of colours, and Full Coverage is very heavy, but can look quite caked.

HTH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Clarins foundation ftw

Carlito78 wrote: »
    Hey,

Looking for a good foundation for a pressie for my Mam.
    Good coverage needed, very dark skin, brown eyes.. she wont come into BTs or whatever for a consultation so have to tryn and pick one myself. Dont wanna spend loads but want a good brand.. any ideas?

Ta!

bring a picture of your mam into MAC and they shuld be able to pick a match otherwise you'll more than likely get the wrong colour and waste your money ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

House of Fraser's colour counter to have foundation mixed to match your skin exactly. Did it for my wedding, it was perfect.

Urban decay eyeshadows are fantastic colours, as are their lip products. Clinique mascara is pretty good.

I have given up trying to find a moisturiser.

I have sensitive skin that's dry in some places and oily in others, I get blocked pores easily, my natural colour is blue (I'd have to sunbathe to turn white, sort of thing). My eyebrows are naturally so pale blond as to be white, so I dye them. Having this sort of skin means practically any moisturiser I use always feels greasy and heavy. I've gone from E4.99 to E49.99 all the way up to top-end moisturisers at E149.99 and I cannot find something that excites me.

Over the years, I've tried:
    All the cold creams - Nivea, Astral, Ponds - various shades of Oil of Olay, various by Lush, Burts Bees, back to basics with E45, various essential-oil based products from various natural chemical-free producers, Clinique, Clarins, L'Ancome, Clearasil, Simple, supermarket-own-brand products, things with witchhazel, things without witchhazel... I've also tried owning quite an embarassing number of the above at once and alternating them.

The best product I've found so far is Olay's seven signs, SPF 15, but even then if I use it consistently for more than two weeks it's like the effects magically wear off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

mjd, have you tried Dr Hauska's moisturisers? I use the quince day cream which I find very good. I've combination skin as well and find it great. I love the smell of it.

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

b3t4 wrote: »
    mjd, have you tried Dr Hauska's moisturisers? I use the quince day cream which I find very good. I've combination skin as well and find it great. I love the smell of it.

A

Try the Rose Cream in Light. Its loveerly.

http://www.drhauschka.co.uk/index.php?source=gppc&keyword=dr.hauschka+skin+care&gclid=CPTV8ZCp25ECFQQGEgodWQUDfw

• Advertisement
Advertisement