Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tried and Tested

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

~I got Vita Liberata's 'Me but better' Foundation just before Christmas; must say that I am very impressed with it, really nice, esp in this cold weather, lasts and wears very well, doesn't go patchy, feels really nice to wear and spreads very well with good coverage too!!

Good range of shades also; and a very nice pale one!!

I like:D

I found a gadget that makes my hair curly at last!
    It is babyliss pro hairdressing conical wand. Available from salon supply stores for 30 quid.
    Have really fine hair, and the curls lasted ages, really simple operation too. Took less than 10 minutes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

Hi all, quick questions, does anyone else suffer from dandruff? I have it awful and just cannot get rid of it. I've tried all the normal anti-dandruff shampoos; head and shoulders, simple anti dandruff, loreal elvive anti dandruff and I've tried medicated ones too; selsun, polytar(STINKS!), nizoral, t-gel etc. Anyone any ideas on miracle cures?? I've hit rock bottom!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

wicklowgal wrote: »
    Hi all, quick questions, does anyone else suffer from dandruff? I have it awful and just cannot get rid of it. I've tried all the normal anti-dandruff shampoos; head and shoulders, simple anti dandruff, loreal elvive anti dandruff and I've tried medicated ones too; selsun, polytar(STINKS!), nizoral, t-gel etc. Anyone any ideas on miracle cures?? I've hit rock bottom!

have you tried a tea tree shampoo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sophisticated6y

wicklowgal wrote: »

I see you've used the head and shoulders one, but give it a try again.
    This time leave the shampoo in for 5 or so minutes and then rinse it out. Sometimes it needs time to "activate"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

nouggatti wrote: »
    have you tried a tea tree shampoo?
    Yeah I'v tried tea tree shampoo as well.
    However I will try leave the shampoo in longer this time as I haven't really tried that except with medicated shampoos that tell you to leave it on.

Thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Kya1976 wrote: »
    Philip Kingsleys hair products. Was using the Elasticizer Extreme after my hair got damaged after bleaching it and it worked wonders:)

Its really good for long hair too, as is the Keratase oleo relax, especially if your hair is wavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Moonbaby wrote: »
    It is babyliss pro hairdressing conical wand. Available from salon supply stores for 30 quid.
    Have really fine hair, and the curls lasted ages, really simple operation too. Took less than 10 minutes. :)

Is this the one that is small at one end and gets wider?

I have the straightest of straight hair and been looking for something that actually works.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babyliss-Porcelain-Conical-Finger-Shields/dp/B000PX8N7Y

This is the one I got.
    The nice lady in my salon supply shop recommended it.
    My hair falls out of sets ridiculously quickly, I couldn't believe how well the curls lasted. They were still there the next day.
    If I get a peared pic I can pm you results :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

Moonbaby wrote: »

Just wonder what size wand did you get the 25mm or the 32mm? Sick of GHD curls fallin out a few hours after I do them! Especially since Im cursed with the not curly but certainly not straight hair!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

I got the new Maybelline mascara, the yellow one, 'colossal'. Anyone else picked it up?

It's absolutely amazing for volume, my eyelashes are non existent, but it works miracles.

The downsides are:m

Major panda eyes after a few hours, you have to watch it.
    The whiff of it? It actually gave my Mam a headache.

I'm so torn :pac:

Just wonder what size wand did you get the 25mm or the 32mm? Sick of GHD curls fallin out a few hours after I do them! Especially since Im cursed with the not curly but certainly not straight hair!

Sorry only seeing this now.
    I went for the bigger one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

rosyposy wrote: »
    Just started using Dermalogica, Daily Microfoliant is impressing me, skin feels alot cleaner and calmer after using it!
    Great thread by the way;)

Don't you think the world should all be on Dermalogica?? Happy happy non blotchy skin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

JaneyMc wrote: »
    I got the new Maybelline mascara, the yellow one, 'colossal'. Anyone else picked it up?

It's absolutely amazing for volume, my eyelashes are non existent, but it works miracles.

The downsides are:m

Major panda eyes after a few hours, you have to watch it.
    The whiff of it? It actually gave my Mam a headache.

I'm so torn :pac:

Yep I bought this one recently and I love it, gives really big lashes, but I havent noticed a smell from it at all :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

ok, so I've always wanted to give fake eyelashes a go, but never really go anywhere to warrant going 'all out' and paying for the pro ones.

went to Dunnes the last week and they have a make up stand called Essence. The stand had fake eyelashes for €2.99 so i said i'd give them a go.

it was my first time so it took me bout 20mins to get the hang of the glue and sittin them on the lid but surprisingly, they stayed on all night and looked great!! taking them off was also easy, i took off my makeup with a baby wipe, got a grip with a tweezers and pulled really gently!

Ive since gone back and bought another 2 pairs just incase they sell out lol :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭laurak265

House of Fraser's colour counter to have foundation mixed to match your skin exactly. Did it for my wedding, it was perfect.

Urban decay eyeshadows are fantastic colours, as are their lip products. Clinique mascara is pretty good.

I have given up trying to find a moisturiser.

I have sensitive skin that's dry in some places and oily in others, I get blocked pores easily, my natural colour is blue (I'd have to sunbathe to turn white, sort of thing). My eyebrows are naturally so pale blond as to be white, so I dye them. Having this sort of skin means practically any moisturiser I use always feels greasy and heavy. I've gone from E4.99 to E49.99 all the way up to top-end moisturisers at E149.99 and I cannot find something that excites me.

Over the years, I've tried:
    All the cold creams - Nivea, Astral, Ponds - various shades of Oil of Olay, various by Lush, Burts Bees, back to basics with E45, various essential-oil based products from various natural chemical-free producers, Clinique, Clarins, L'Ancome, Clearasil, Simple, supermarket-own-brand products, things with witchhazel, things without witchhazel... I've also tried owning quite an embarassing number of the above at once and alternating them.

The best product I've found so far is Olay's seven signs, SPF 15, but even then if I use it consistently for more than two weeks it's like the effects magically wear off.

Same skin as you! Garnier ulta lift...It moisturises and lifts...find it brill and it got rid of my double chin bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jbl123

Papillon87 wrote: »
    In the market for a couple of new beaut-ay produits!

Need a new mascara, have battled through Chanel Inimitable the past while. Absolutely shocked how bad it is!! Had heard rave reviews, and have some Chanel make up I love. However this is genuinely the first mascara I've encountered that clumps and has caused me to have to re-do my eye make-up from scratch several times:mad: Have very long lashes, if that's relevant....any recommendations?!

Shu Uemura Mascara Basic is the best I've ever tried (and I've tried many.) My lashes are long too..It doesn't clump, stays on all day and I've had no problems with it flaking off or smudging..and I happen to be someone who rubs her eyes a lot.

I bought mine at Sephora while on a trip to the states. Not sure if it's sold here yet, but it's worth seeking out or buying online. It looks very natural and elegant on too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 RoxyHart

A fairly recent discovery for me is Smashbox Photo Finish foundation primer. I bought it on an Aer Lingus flight and it's fab. Glides onto your skin, light, airy and not greasy like some primers can be. Your foundation goes on effortlessly and stays on all day. The big difference is when you see pics of yourself at two in the morning after a couple of winos and you still look human lols. Also love Bourjois lip glosses, not too sticky and makes lips look fuller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Iv had problem skin for years and i have tried this for the past year and it is beyond amazing

Weleda
    Aknedoron Cleansing Lotion for Problem skin availabe in any good healthfood store. I get mine in Evergreen and its €8 for a bottle. And i am saying this after using dermalogica and clinique for years but they werent doing me any good because i have very sensitive skin, and this has all natural ingerdients so its amazing. Iv recommended it to friends and they too swear by it!

http://www.weleda.co.uk/products/name/aknedoron-cleansing-lotion/product_id/102007

Dermalogica soothing skin cream is so so nice, love slathering it on when my skin is feeling a bit dry!

I use MAC eyeliner and eyshadow, great stuff. The Benefit erase paste concealer gives good coverage too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Elle Victorine

my liquid eyeliner is now no longer being made *sobs* and it took me ages to actually find it in the first place. It's been a good three years but now I need to find a new one that doesn't cost me an arm and a bloody leg.

Also I need one with a hard applecator (like a felt pen I guess) not like the really flimsy ones. I've tried rimmel's one but the applicator is rubbish and falls apart very quickly and those pen ones from clinique don't last very long on me :(

Any suggestions out there!!!

• Advertisement

Lancome do a felt tip liner thats very good and long lasting.

Think it's around €22.

Can't say how long the actual pen lasts though as I don't have it long enough.

Anywhoo; might be worth looking into!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Right I finally bought YSLs mascara volume effects faux cils, its lovely, usually when I buy a mascara it takes a week of use to get it working right on my lashes, this one was a dream, it smells lovely and 3 people commented on my lashes today and I usually wear mascara anyways.

Moisturiser wise I've found a lovely one for €7 its L'oreal Happyderm, I've only found it in the airport or in other countries but I stock up everytime I pass through duty free. It's lovely and light and keeps my skin feeling silky.

Foundation wise I know use No7 instance radiance foundation, the brush is excellent and because if it you can vary the coverage you want.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I tried Yes to Carrots moisturiser recently and found it great, I've very sensitive dry patchy skin, and am allergic to most moisturisers, but this one was really fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 spw1

Laura Mercier Primer - This is amazing! Makes my foundation just glide on and stays perfect for the whole day. A big fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 benjyboo

Chanel Teint Innocence Foundation - it gives me a natural looking finish and suits my dry/sensitive skin!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Prescriptives comfort cleanser & day cream - works a treat on my sensitive skin (bleugh to eczema!).

BioEtic handcream is lush too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

bought a Ruby and Millie powder brush for 22 quid - vvvvv disappointed, all the bloody hairs came out, even washed it in the hope that it was just cos it was new..........no joy.........I could have got a pound shop job that was the same shoddy quality and saved 20 quid............:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 benjyboo

cjmcork wrote: »
    bought a Ruby and Millie powder brush for 22 quid - vvvvv disappointed, all the bloody hairs came out

sorry to hear...has happened to me a few times!:(
    You should try the MAC/Bobbi Brown powder brush... well worth the extra 10-15 quid, a quality makeup brush is a good investment!!;) Eco tools have some quality makeup brushes aswell if ur sticking to a bugdet... i got one up north but i think you can buy them online too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

yeah that smashbox product is excellent also creme de la mer is absolutely excellent on the skin...makes skin soft supple and if you have any marks, scaring or blemishes it evens out the skin fantastically....

may i just mention a web site for make up and lotions and potions started using site about 2 months ago brilliant ,,,basically its make up etc much cheaper on line like calvin klein lipstick normaly nearly 20 euro only 4 euro on this site...lots of offers

its : www.buycosmetics.com

totally recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

On recommendation i bought the No 7 under eye concealer (their version of touche eclat) - had a €7.50 so got it for bout a tenner and its pretty good. im pleasantly impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 x-rach-x

Gauge wrote: »
    Burts bees lip balm... I can only find the mint one here though which sucks because it makes my lips feel horrible and tingly. The normal one is AMAZING.

You can get the whole burts bees range in debenhams in limerick.

i cannot live without my Chanel foundation or my Mac concealer. Would reccommend Chanel too for consultations, they WILL find the right shade etc..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

The best mascara I've ever used is Dior Backstage stuff. It is amazing. It's the only mascara I've used that didn't go super clumpy on me and didn't make me look like a crazy mutant. And it has this gorgeous thick brush that's just fab. I have long enough eyelashes as it is and this doesn't make them look insane.

*sigh* Haven't got the cash to get a new one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Baby-G123

Hi Girlies,

Has anyone used the pin point lash injection mascara from Too Faced? Going to NYC on Sunday and was gonna invest in some new mascara. I currently use Bourjois Pump Up The Volume and its great but I just fancy a change for some strange reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭jellybeans

has anybody used that 50 euro 'White Smile' teeth whitening kit? I was gonna get it today but thought Id see if it was any good first, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jvr

Can anyone recomend a good tinted moisturiser that actually feels like it's moisturising you!!!??? I've tried a lot but they just feel sticky and don't give good coverage and definetly don't blend in...
    I dont like the caked in look and I'm having trouble with very dry skin at the moment and thought the tinted stuff would solve all....

also anyone recomend any sites online for buying dermalogica products?
    I used to use strawberry.net (i think its american)for ages but got stung the last 2 times by the postman with tax!!! imagine!!! so am wondering if a uk based site wud have a similar site to this as there surely would not have such an irish based site to buy online as the country is still into ripping us off!!

• Advertisement

jvr wrote: »
    Can anyone recomend a good tinted moisturiser that actually feels like it's moisturising you!!!??? I've tried a lot but they just feel sticky and don't give good coverage and definetly don't blend in...
    I dont like the caked in look and I'm having trouble with very dry skin at the moment and thought the tinted stuff would solve all....

also anyone recomend any sites online for buying dermalogica products?
    I used to use strawberry.net (i think its american)for ages but got stung the last 2 times by the postman with tax!!! imagine!!! so am wondering if a uk based site wud have a similar site to this as there surely would not have such an irish based site to buy online as the country is still into ripping us off!!

If you want a an actual tinted mosituriser I would recommend the Clarins one, or the Estee Lauder one. They look well and don't wreck your skin.

If you just want something that gives the coverage of a tinted moisturiser, as opposed to being an actual moisturiser also....and this would be my preference tbh... You can't go wrong with Cliniques 'Almost Make-up'.

As for Dermalogica, I'd recommend here:

http://www.adonisgrooming.com/home.php

It's a mens product site mostly but they have the full range of Dermalogica products and are very good value, esp with sterling the way it is at the moment.

I know there is another site aswell, but the name escapes me.

However I have had personal experience of the Adonis site on a number of occassions, and found them to be excellent.

I hope this is of some help.

MR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jvr

http://www.lookinggoodguy.com/skincare/Cleansers/

this site also seems to be good value......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

Can anyone recommend a foundation for someone with VERY dry skin? I can't seem to find anything that suits me. I have really pale/freckled skin and any foundation I use just dries out my skin and it starts flaking and peeling.

Would I be better with a tinted moisturiser?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Baby-G123 wrote: »
    Hi Girlies,

Has anyone used the pin point lash injection mascara from Too Faced? Going to NYC on Sunday and was gonna invest in some new mascara. I currently use Bourjois Pump Up The Volume and its great but I just fancy a change for some strange reason!

I have! It's pretty good. It's got a really small brush, so good for hard to reach lashes. Also it's a tubing mascara , which I didn't realise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

anamaria wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a foundation for someone with VERY dry skin? I can't seem to find anything that suits me. I have really pale/freckled skin and any foundation I use just dries out my skin and it starts flaking and peeling.

Would I be better with a tinted moisturiser?

You should make sure you use a moisturiser about 10 mins before application, then apply a primer such as Smashbox's Photofinish. Are you using a special cleanser to remove your make up? You might find a clean based wash off one the best. If you have very dry skin while wearing make up, it's more than just the one product. I'd try to get to the root of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

anamaria - i have very dry skin and recently started using the minerals makeup from Urban Decay (invest in their brush, otherwise you won't get the value or effect out of the makeup, you need a great brush with this stuff) which is powder, not liquid (which dries) and so won't "cake" onto any dry spots.

for moisturiser, i use E45 facials (the "night" cream works wonders if you are spending alot of time in air con environments during the day) - i've found the day and the night stuff to be pretty good and nicely cost effective.
    although i highly recommend "La Roche Posay" - "Hydraphase Riche" cream which is not too killer on price and available from pharmacies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

Thanks for the advice ladies.

I've had to be very careful with moisturiser. Although my skin is very dry I can't use anything perfumed/too rich on it. Bit of a nuisance.

I'll try leaving it for a good ten minutes next time. I'm usually in a rush and probably don't leave enough time for it to sink in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭shellykbookey

was wondering if anyone had tried this yet cos it looks kinda too good to be true?

as for things i'd swear by, ellnet hairspray is the best ever for killing friz when your hair is down. Also theres a face pack from l'orel pure that is fantastic for clearing out your face, i've a very muddy job and it always works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

was wondering if anyone had tried this yet cos it looks kinda too good to be true?

as for things i'd swear by, ellnet hairspray is the best ever for killing friz when your hair is down. Also theres a face pack from l'orel pure that is fantastic for clearing out your face, i've a very muddy job and it always works for me.

Go over to the Fashion and Appearance forum and you'll see that it might not be a good idea, there's a thread on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 happylady09

I love me makeup I do :D!
    Foundation wise as lots of other posters I have to give thumbs up to Armani Luminous silk foundation and then for nights out and/or general times of skin acting the mick Estee Lauder double wear is my main man!

I do like to get a makeup bargin though and have been shopping on www.eyeslipsface.co.uk you get everything there from brushes to fake eyelashes and foundation for crazy prices like 1.80€ and 3.50€ and the quality is very good. They apperently save money on packaging. Check it out ladies if you want a bargain. Im a part time makeup artist and Ive tried just about every makeup there is going and in these recession times you cannot go wrong with a bit of ELF makeup. Prime your eyes before the eyeshadow and it lasts forever.

I could write about cosmetics all day but as a last word....HIGHLIGHTER....recently discovered its wonders!Slap a bit down the nose and on the cheek bones. Benefit are famous for their highbeam and moonbeam but are a total rip off and not great quality in my humble opinion. Clarins have a lovly one and smashbox have one too thats excellant. For a cheaper option NO.7 in Boots have a highlighter in bronze and pinky for lighter skin tones for half the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mellyzeb

YSL mascara.
    Benefit eyebrow compact (wax & powder) - AMAZING.
    Urban Decay & MAC eyeshadows.
    For liquid eyeliner - have tried many expensive ones but find bourjois pen the best.
    Lancome blushers are best in my opinion but I like benefit 'get even' bronzer.
    For lips - lancome lipsticks and either bourjois or YSL lipglosses as no stickiness!

Question - has anyone tried eyeko stuff? have been hearing good thing about it - particularly interested in the tinted moisturiser..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭cinnamon

I got this done as I have a wedding soon and as my dress is tight I thought I would get this done as it claims to tone and tighten as well as lose inches.

But it was a load of rubbish TBH and I feel as if I have wasted my money. Apparently I lost 6 inches but that amounts to an eighth of an inch here and 3/8 of an inch there. My tummy is still flabby and not toned as the therapist told me it would be. I lost nothing off my arms - a problem area for me.

So it looks like I will still have to wear magic knickers for the wedding.

AVOID like the plague! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

Hello ladies,
    I'm tearing my hair out cos I'm 33 now and need to use a moisturiser but the only one that doesn't make me break out in Spots is Nivea Oil Free but it doesn't contain an SPF. Can any of you gorgeous girls recommend an Oil Free face cream with an SPF 15 upwards ?

SG x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Anna Molly

My Sephora brushes...best value for money ever... I heart them! :D

Can you get Sephora in Ireland!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Anna Molly wrote: »
    Can you get Sephora in Ireland!?

A quick google says no, but you can buy online with daddy's credit card! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement