Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supermarkets

Options
  • 06-01-2008 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Is it just me, or are there no decent supermarkets anywhere near here??

I've just moved here from the UK, and one thing I miss is a decent supermarket where you can get everything you need from one place and there is always plenty of stock etc.

I have been going to Tescos, but half the shelves always seems empty and the prices on the shelves never correspond to the products above. I buy one or two things from Lidl, although I'm not a huge fan. And the Superquinn in Charleslands can be a bit limited and pricey.

Can someone tell me if there is a huge supermarket somewhere nearby that I don't know about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Can someone tell me if there is a huge supermarket somewhere nearby that I don't know about?
    Sorry, but that is as good as it gets around here! Of all the local supermarkets I find Tesco the best. Over Chistmas the stck is lower than normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Spot on fish. Tesco is usually better. I think that as well as the Christmas season; they have had some management changes up there recently. In fairness; it's not bad as they go. Cant see SQ really improving anytime soon. Can't say it enough though; the staff in there are very nice but the managers appear clueless. I mean how many shops do you know which have the same problem with non delivery of Sunday Newspaper supplements? They never discount the papers though. The new Spar at Eden Gate is very good but limited by space.
    But as you say fish, tesco will improve over the next week or two as things settle down again.
    As a connoisseur of supermarkets, I can say that American, Aussie and French supermarkets poo on Irish ones but Irish ones do the same to English ones. I mean how much tinned stuff and spam can a nation eat?
    We do pay a premium for just about everything though. Tesco Merrion is the most profitable Tesco in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if Tesco do charge you more than the price on the shelf, their policy is that you get the item free. So its worth checking your receipt, especially for special offers, buy-one-get-one-free etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

There is a new Dunnes Stores opening in Newtownmountkennedy soon, meant to be March. This will mainly be a food hall with a small Clothes/household section also.

With the new interchange opening it will be quick to get to from Greystones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dubrunner

RosieJoe wrote: »
    There is a new Dunnes Stores opening in Newtownmountkennedy soon, meant to be March. This will mainly be a food hall with a small Clothes/household section also.

With the new interchange opening it will be quick to get to from Greystones.

Dunnes Stores in Cornelscourt is your only man. This has the best stock and always has products on the shelves.

Only 12 mins from Charlesland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dubrunner wrote: »
    Dunnes Stores in Cornelscourt is your only man. This has the best stock and always has products on the shelves.
    It's OK, and it's the one we use the most, but really, if you're used to a well managed and stocked Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda etc. in the UK you'll continue to be sadly disappointed. If you really want to appreciate how poorly managed and stocked, and how shabby an Irish supermarket can be, I suggest you try the Tesco in Bray .. a truly horrible experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Dunnes Stores in Cornelscourt is your only man.

We now know why your name is dubrunner...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

"the prices on the shelves never correspond to the products above"

You can report price discrepancies to the Consumer Association of Ireland.

www.consumerassociation.ie

I can't say I've been unhappy with the selection of supermarkets in Wicklow. Dunnes in the Bridgewater Centre, Arklow is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Decks

12 minutes?? yeah be plane maybe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Decks wrote: »
    12 minutes?? yeah be plane maybe!!

Or private helicopter! Drove into town one day last week and happened to notice passing Cornelscourt that it had taken us 20 minutes to get there. I was surprised it didn't take longer but that was with next to no traffic, although we did stick to the speed limit the whole way!

I usually find Tescos very good but last week it was like a siege had just happened, I've never seen it so empty and no special offers to put us in a good mood for January (meanies!!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Alun wrote: »
    It's OK, and it's the one we use the most, but really, if you're used to a well managed and stocked Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda etc. in the UK you'll continue to be sadly disappointed. If you really want to appreciate how poorly managed and stocked, and how shabby an Irish supermarket can be, I suggest you try the Tesco in Bray .. a truly horrible experience.

HA...Tesco in Bray is actually one of their better stores. You obviously have never been to the Stillorgan Tesco...now that is a truly awful store. I have found the Bray one to be generally very well stocked. Used it for 6 years while living there without problems. Moved to Cork recently and have had to switch from Tesco as my new local one here is absolute pants!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Folks keep to the topic. If you want to discuss the virtues of Tesco outlets around Dublin or elsewhere, use the Consumer Issues forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 cgunners

Thanks for all the replies. I didnt mean for it to be a Tesco-bashing as in the UK it is my Supermarket of choice. They do clearly neglect their Irish stores and I will try to put in a complaint, for all of the good it will do.

I do really like shopping in Dunnes, and that is now my backup plan - Cornelscourt. Stand aside if you see me speeding by trying to meet the 12 minute target.

Oh, and as for Irish supermarkets "pooing" on UK ones - not from what I can see!

Advertisement