Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barack Obama

Options
  • 06-01-2008 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭

With his victory in the Iowa primaries Obama looks has a better chance than ever. So what are Boardsies opinions of the man? Too Young? A Visionary? Only popular because people don't want to vote for a clinton? Exactly what America needs?

I personally really like the guy and hope he goes all the way. I'm hoping America is smart enough to get him there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Right now he's got the advantage of not being tainted by any political past. Being articulate is refreshing after 8 years of Bushisms, but he has yet to be tested to any real degree.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Agreed...I think the US right now are faced with either following their heart or their head...the heart says Barack but the head is saying if this is the wrong option we could have made another huge mistake in a period where the US have faced their toughest challenges in many years with an unsettled period lying ahead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I'm hoping America is smart enough to get him there.

Judging on the outcome of the two previous elevtions, I wouldnt bet on it.
    Peronally, I think Obama looks the most promising, although this country might be better off it Clinton gets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Theres just too much infighting between the Obama/Clinton camps. Put your company on John Edwards when it comes to the wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Theres a real wind of change blowing in the states at the moment and right now Obama is the pulse of that nation. The Republicans dont look like they have a strong candidate and this could be year that the unlikely happens.

If he wins New Hampshire next week then he could be unstoppable.

At a minimum even if he does not win next week I think he is now a cert for the Vice Pres slot. Cant see this being with Clinton but stranger things have happened (still would not rule out Gore/Obama)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Obama is a very charismatic guy, but don't be fooled that he is any different from the other leading democrat candidates. He will do nothing to improve the lives of the millions of (mostly black) desperately poor people living in america today. He won't do anything to improve how America conducts their foreign policy abroad, he won't do much to help the environment or to reduce global inequality.

He's just another rich privileged candidate who will represent his class above the people who vote for him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Personally, I think he ran too early, but I like a candidate who's been around the block at least once.

Not that Hillary really is particularly experienced either, mind. I mean, she's been Senator for New York a bit...and... what.. has experience at being the wife of the President?

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

At the very least he has engaged young voters and made them believe that there is someone worth considering. But the cynic in me says that this is what politicians do anyway. He has a dream which is fine and one that you can certainly buy into.

But can he deliver and what is it he wants to deliver? Yes America seems a fragmented society and needs healing. Who's to say that the effect of Bush going may not be part of that healing process?

If the Republican fist fight doesn't resolve itself without too much blood-letting I would say that it is the Democrats' election to lose.

The war in Iraq is not something he has an exclusive on either. Whatever your position on it, it is obvious that the US needs to extricate itself sooner rather than later. As for healthcare, well it strikes me that it has the same appeal as the poisoned chalice we have here.

So where does that leave him? Much as he is charismatic I can't see any great substance to him just yet.

I am not sure he is "the man" at this time. His current inexperience and his poor knowledge of foreign policy will undo him - he knows even less than Dubya.

What I think he will turn out to be, is the catalyst for change, by forcing whoever gets in to recognise what needs to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭storka

The guy is simply too inexperienced to run the biggest country in the world. He's had a short term as a senator which hardly gives him anything.

His whole "change" thing is aimed at young voters. They get behind his hope of change but can he in reality actually make change? I don't think he can.

Hillary is clearly the better option for Democrats, America (and Ireland!). She has the experience and the know how better than anyone in the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

storka wrote: »
    The guy is simply too inexperienced to run the biggest country in the world. He's had a short term as a senator which hardly gives him anything.
    America isn't the biggest country in the world

Akrasia wrote: »
    America isn't the biggest country in the world

Ok i dont mean geographically but it terms of the most powerful and influential I think they are!

Hillary is better for Ireland because of her history with the North and she has also been supporting getting Visas for illegal workers in the US many of which are Irish. No other country would have the American president going in with such a knowledge of their country.

Hey i'm a Hillary supporter so i'm biased!

Hillary is clearly the better option for Democrats, America (and Ireland!). She has the experience and the know how better than anyone in the race.

Well, I'm going to disagree with that, and vote for a different D.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Obama's to young, inexsperianced, and as much as I hate to say it the wrong colour. Cant see him grtting much support outside the east and west coasts.

He might of been better off running as Hillarys VP. But not a hope of that happening now.

If the Democrats run Edwards as Prez and Clinton as VP. I reckon there a shoe in.

I really thought Guiliani would be able to generate support from both the left and right. But it dosent look lie he's even going to get the nod from the republicans

I reckon Edwards and Clinton, with Clinton making the whitehouse her own in eight years.

Well, I'm going to disagree with that, and vote for a different D.

NTM

And that is of course is your right!! I personally however think she is the best candidate.

Who are you thinking of voting for?

starn wrote: »
    Obama's to young, inexsperianced, and as much as I hate to say it the wrong colour. Cant see him grtting much support outside the east and west coasts.

He might of been better off running as Hillarys VP. But not a hope of that happening now.

If the Democrats run Edwards as Prez and Clinton as VP. I reckon there a shoe in.

I really thought Guiliani would be able to generate support from both the left and right. But it dosent look lie he's even going to get the nod from the republicans

I reckon Edwards and Clinton, with Clinton making the whitehouse her own in eight years.

I don't think Hillary will ever want to be second to anyone in the White House again!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

His whole "change" thing is aimed at young voters. They get behind his hope of change but can he in reality actually make change? I don't think he can.

What experience does one need? Two terms of Bush, after that a chimp could do it. Hillary Clinton had two terms by proxy in the form of Bill. Ireland needs to look to our European partners not keep cow towing to the US. Somebody new and fresh, and who knows it might be Obama or it might be the Republicans again, just need another war to bring the rednecks out to guarantee the latter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Mike65 sums things up very well... political inexperience can be a curse and a gift depending on how you spin it and combining an inspiring message with the explicit implication that you're not tarnished by the "Washinton politics" that has dragged the US down will certainly sit well with many.

The importance and necessity for aspirational and hope-filled leadership should never be underestimated but the question is whether he can back all of that up with something more than blue-sky thinking. I think that'll become clearer in time for Super (dooper) Tuesday.

It's interesting to see Clinton now on the offensive, however, and her campaign have shifted into the politics of fear just like many on the Rep. side have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

absolutely not.

her "experience" is fanciful at best. Bill Richardson is more qualified to run the country than she is. Edwards too. even Dodd and Biden had just as much, if not more experience than her.
    she's been a US senator for what? 7 years? versus Obama's 4. not to mention Obama being a State Senator from '96 onwards. this was while Hilary's job was basically having tea with various charitable organisations while her husbnad played away from home.
    sitting around playing supportive first lady at various levels does not translate in to experience.

just because she happened to be involved in politics for 35 years, doesn't mean she's necessarily done much good. her most visible experience is her health care proposals when her husband was president, which failed miserably.

good for Democrats, hardly. the democrats need to take independents to have a real shot at winning the white house. hillary clinton is despised by many in her own party, let alone independents who've become sick of the usual Washington B.S., which she's up to her neck in. we saw this from the showing of how many independents backed her in Iowa, as well as national polls.

good for ireland? in theory, perhaps, in practice, do you honestly think she'll have time to be bothering with ireland. what exactly she'll bother/needs to do is beyond me, the Peace Process is motoring along nicely at the moment. what else do we need her involvement for? we've gotten by just fine with the token photo-op meetings with Bush over the years, and it'll be no different if Hilary was in charge.
    incidentally, i was just reading on another message board about how the other night she claimed that she was involved in bringing peace to ireland, and the following link was posted, not only showing what her actual involvement here was, but how much she's really jsut riding on Bill's coattails:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317927,00.html

good for america? laughable. watching the ABC debate last night just cemented the fact that she''s little more than a mixture of Bill and George. without the fun.

Who are you thinking of voting for?

Richardson.

12 years as a Congresscritter, former ambassador, cabinet minister, and currently in his second term as a State Governor (which voters tend to prefer over being a Senator due to more direct involvement in governance and decisionmaking).

And Hillary gets the claim to being the "Most experienced candidate" how, exactly?

Myself and Household 6 never seem to see eye-to-eye on politics. (I voted for Bush in 2000, she has an anti-Bush sticker on her car), but she revealed to me yesterday that she had joined the Richardson campaign which is interesting as I had long ago decided to go in that direction (Without telling her). The man has cross-party appeal by virtue of being the most moderate of the Ds (He's rated "A" by the NRA for crying out loud: He beats most of the Rs and that's no small voting block), he's hispanic so should get a good portion of the vote that inevitably goes along racial lines.. What's his problem?

Oh, right. He's not Democratic (big "D") enough for the Party. Stupidity. He doesn't have a hope, and I think this is just a result of the system: There's a lot of people in the "anyone but Hillary" camp, and I'll bet most are voting for Obama as the lesser of two evils because the Media have declared Obama "The person most likely to beat Hillary"
    has also been supporting getting Visas for illegal workers in the US many of which are Irish.

Whilst this is a policy espoused by most (if not all) the Ds, and a number of the Rs, I don't see this as being a good thing. "Hi! We have laws in this country. Yes, I know you didn't follow them to get in, but here, we'll not only let it slide, we'll give you retro-active support to what you did illegally!"

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

For once I'd like to believe that Obama isn't just another politician, that he really can change things. Then again the Americans arent the most receptive people to change, look at what happened to carter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

starn wrote: »

well California and and New York would be the figureheads of both east and west coasts but Clinton is well ahead in those states. she'll obviously take New York since she rolled into town in '00 to position herself nicely to take the senator position, and then propel herself into the presidential race with a state with a hefty chunk of delegates. if Obama wins NH, he might be able to take California, otherwise i'd imagine Hilary will keep it. Edwards has little chance there.

"the Democrats" don't run anyone for president/VP. it's down to who has the most delegates at the DNC, and they pick who they want for VP themselves.
    although the DLC is basically a fan-club for Bill Clinton, so it'd be obvious who they would be campaigning for.

anyway, considering Edwards claims to be so anti-corporation big business (i'm cynical to this but however...), and Clinton basically embodies corporate cronyism, i don't see this being a viable option. not least because Vilsack will quite likely get to be her running partner, and the debate last night highlighted Edwards/Clinton's contempt for each other.

Guiliani is a scumbag, with little in the way of experience, and plenty in the way of faults, but he's, much like Hilary, running on name recognition, and is putting his efforts into Super Tuesday, it wouldn't surprise me if he can grab plenty of these based on his 9/11 hero image. he's at least got NY anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Compared to the current line up of Candidates for Republicans and Democrats, with the exception of Obama, GW Bush looks positively talented and charismatic.

JFK was the other 'Obama style' candidate and he did just fine

What, getting us as close to nuclear war as we ever got, barring that technical glitch in the Soviet defense system in the 1980s? That's what inexperience got him in Vienna.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

kenco wrote: »

At a minimum even if he does not win next week I think he is now a cert for the Vice Pres slot. Cant see this being with Clinton but stranger things have happened (still would not rule out Gore/Obama)

Chris Rock:

Now as you know, there's been alot of talk about a black vice president. And I just wanna tell the world that it'll never happen. As long as you live you will never see a black vice president, you know why? Because some black guy would just kill the president. I'd do it. If Colin Powell was vice president, I'd kill the president and tell his mother about it. What would happen to me? What would they do? Put me in jail with a bunch of black guys that would treat me like a king for the rest of my life? I would be the biggest star in jail, alright, people would be coming up to me and I'd be signing autographs: "97-KY, here you go." Guys would be going: "You're the brother that shot Bush. And you told his mother about it huh? I hope my children turn out to be just like you, Man, you know I was getting ready to rape you until I realized who you were. And even if they had a death penalty, what would happen? I'd just be pardoned by the black president. So you see, Dennis, it would not be in George Bush's best intrests to place Colin Powell on the ticket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

What, getting us as close to nuclear war as we ever got, barring that technical glitch in the Soviet defense system in the 1980s? That's what inexperience got him in Vienna.

NTM

I shudder to think what nixon would have have done in 1962.

"Lets nuke those commie bastrads!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Well I don't know, Nixon was after all the one to open up relations with China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Kennedy and Nixon are ancient history now. Why talk about them?

Advertisement