Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barack Obama

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Neither do I - but then we are not american - the middle name isnt 'Hussein' preceded by 'Obama' and by politician you mean presidential candidate. I agree that it should be irrelevant but in the context of american politics I dont agree that it will turn out to be (assuming he is the candidate).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

mc cain is a man america would like to see lead while fighting 2 wars

This assumes that America would like to continue fighting two wars. However, given his past, I think most Americans would think that he wouldn't be too inclined to start any new ones any time soon, which might be good enough. I agree that he's probably got the best shot of beating the Ds in a run-off, in as much as the Rs ever have a hope in the first place.

NTM

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

What baffles me is how many Americans don't know that Obama's middle name is Hussein!

Yeah - they're not really debating the substantial issues at all, are they?!

I think Obama was referred to as Barack Hussein Obama by the likes of Fox back when it was looking like he was about launch a Presidential bid. That was around the same time that Fox mis-spelled his name in their ticker (Osama instead of Obama) and had an "exclusive" on the "Madrasah" he attended as a child... a story CNN quickly debunked.

Interestingly it seems like Fox is going easy on Obama at the moment, though... O'Reilly seems to be very positive towards him so far. My guess is that because Hillary Clinton is Public Enemy #1 in the Republican camp and her enemy is their friend... at least until the party nomination is made!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

daveirl wrote: »

So you've never heard of Michael D. Higgins or Pat The Cope Gallagher? :p

flogen wrote: »
    Interestingly it seems like Fox is going easy on Obama at the moment, though... O'Reilly seems to be very positive towards him so far. My guess is that because Hillary Clinton is Public Enemy #1 in the Republican camp and her enemy is their friend... at least until the party nomination is made!

Hmmm I don't think so: http://foxattacks.com/obama

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

What baffles me is how many Americans don't know that Obama's middle name is Hussein!

What?! You mean you don't watch foxnews! Or you would know this.

"Sadly Obama has been bin laden with a middle name that causes al quadia problems" - Daily show.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

With NH out of the way and the result and not the opinion polls counting it looks it's shaping up to be a long campaign. It looks like what people said they would do didn't happen and is yet again an indication of how little you can trust polls at times. It seems that the young vote didn't come out as much as in Iowa.
    Exit polls said Ms Clinton won big among women and older voters, while the young voters who propelled Mr Obama to victory in Iowa did not turn out in big numbers in New Hampshire.

Full story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So much for the Obama bandwagon. Maybe the coronation by RTE and other Irish media will not happen now.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Hobbes wrote: »
    What?! You mean you don't watch foxnews! Or you would know this.

"Sadly Obama has been bin laden with a middle name that causes al quadia problems" - Daily show.

You ever seen that Simpsons where Homer is interviewed on tv for pinching the babysitters arse?

Until watching that it was the most selectively edited piece of tv I have ever seen. Im no fan of Fox News (well, I am for the comedy) but that clip is embarrasing :rolleyes:

And wtf does a Comedy Central tv clip have to do with it anyway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

FatherTed wrote: »
    Hmmm I don't think so: http://foxattacks.com/obama

fox has been going easy on obama recently , reason being , they think obama is more beatable in the national poll than hillary

there love of obama compared to hillary is merley a case of my enemys enemy is my friend

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    You ever seen that Simpsons where Homer is interviewed on tv for pinching the babysitters arse?

Until watching that it was the most selectively edited piece of tv I have ever seen. Im no fan of Fox News (well, I am for the comedy) but that clip is embarrasing :rolleyes:

And wtf does a Comedy Central tv clip have to do with it anyway?

better again is the simpsons eppisode where krusty runs for congress as a republican and fox news gives him outrageously favouable coverage

while talking to krustys democratic opponent , he is shown with the horns of the devil over his head and the soviet hammer and sickle in the backround , all the while the ticker like on fox news which runs across the bottom of the screen asks questions such as

does voting democrat give you cancer
    oil slicks in sea make seal pups stonger
    bible says tax cuts for the top 1% good

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    better again is the simpsons eppisode where krusty runs for congress as a republican and fox news gives him outrageously favouable coverage

while talking to krustys democratic opponent , he is shown with the horns of the devil over his head and the soviet hammer and sickle in the backround , all the while the ticker like on fox news which runs across the bottom of the screen asks questions such as

does voting democrat give you cancer
    oil slicks in sea make seal pups stonger
    bible says tax cuts for the top 1% good

"New study reveals 73% of Democrats are gay"

:D

fox has been going easy on obama recently , reason being , they think obama is more beatable in the national poll than hillary

there love of obama compared to hillary is merley a case of my enemys enemy is my friend

TBH I wouldnt know because I haven't watched FNC in years.

If they do, I think they're in a minority. Hillary is highly polarising, Obama less so. Most Republicans I know think that if Hillary wins, they've got the best shot of retaining the White House.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I dont understand for a minute why Fox News, or any Republicans would think Obama is more beatable nationally than Clinton... but they have been going much easier on Obama than they have on Clinton, or at least they were last night!

I was flicking between BBC News 24 and Sky News last night as the initial numbers were coming in. It was hilarious. Sky were (for obvious reasons) getting much of their information and analysis from Fox. BBC were getting it from the other American networks like ABC and NBC. Up until about 30% of the votes had been counted, Fox were still claiming victory for Obama and talking about how screwed Clinton was. They were saying she was far more screwed than Romney for the Republicans. Eventually, they reverted to 'it's too close to call.'

On the BBC, they were saying that it was too close to call the entire time and that no American network was calling it. All their analysts were saying that even if Clinton didnt win, it would be much closer than anyone expected it to be and would therefore practically be a victory for her anyway. It was really interesting to watch both perspectives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

The only stoping Hilary from being gaurented the White House us the fact she is a woman.
    I also think the crying was a big mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

If they do, I think they're in a minority. Hillary is highly polarising, Obama less so. Most Republicans I know think that if Hillary wins, they've got the best shot of retaining the White House.

NTM

I agree with Manic in that Clinton will be the easier to beat especially if McCain becomes the Republican candidate, she has no middle ground, she is loathed or loved. I suspect also, that if she is the Democrat candidate then the Republicans will win the presidency. She gave her little cry and many women bought it, hence her 3% margin in NH. In reality she is seen as a cold fish by many. A long way to go, my money is on is still on Obama as Clinton had a lucky bounce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

FatherTed wrote: »
    So you've never heard of Michael D. Higgins or Pat The Cope Gallagher? :p

or poor oul C.J.!

• Advertisement

I saw the best anti Obama ad on ITV News tonight. His grandmother lives in a tiny village in Kenya without even a tv. The kids around (presumably related) are wearing typical cheap clothing.

I dunno, his grandmother seemed very proud, if I was a multi millionaire senator in the US Id at least throw my relatives in the 3rd world a few quid for electricity and a tv :confused: (and i much prefer Obama to Hillary, though tbh I have not checked out the rest).

meh, my mothers mid 70s uncle lives in a remote part of Cavan in a shed without electricity or running water despite the insistence of his sister (my grandmother) to basically catch up with the real world, the best he has ever accepted is a few blankets and some clean clothes, he is pretty much happy as he is and nobody can change him. The only time he left the area was for surgery in the mid 80s in Dublin, even then he was apparently dying to get back home and despised the traffic etc etc of the city. Maybe the Obamas are the same :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

it's REALLY ironic considering one the hoariest of old chestnuts of most Amreican electin campaigns is the solemn protestation by every candidate that he was "born in a log cabin"

log cabins are ok, mud huts aren't seems to be the message here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Does anyone else see a potential secutiry consideration in that ?

* Actually scratch that - just realised the kenyan govt would likely provide 24x7 armed security to his grandmother if he is elected.

i think john mc cain could beat either hillary or obama

hes always been popular with independants , hes a washington outsider
    not a big tent republican
    fox news dont like him so he must not be all bad

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

i think john mc cain could beat either hillary or obama

hes always been popular with independants , hes a washington outsider
    not a big tent republican
    fox news dont like him so he must not be all bad

I think you’re right, when it comes down to brass tacks McCain will beat either of the two. Pity really, but then it looks like that’s the way the democrats want it.

I think you’re right, when it comes down to brass tacks McCain will beat either of the two. Pity really, but then it looks like that’s the way the democrats want it.

McCain's age 72 ( I think ) may go against him. The republicans have no real contender, at least nobody younger, dynamic and vibrant, just the same old faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭purple'n'gold

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    McCain's age 72 ( I think ) may go against him. The republicans have no real contender, at least nobody younger, dynamic and vibrant, just the same old faces.

Maybe, but he looks fresh enough (on TV) he doesn’t come across as old and doddery.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

One thing that is becoming clearer if that is possible, is that the Democrat race is beginning to narrow quite quickly. Realistically there are three potential candidates left. The Republicans on the other hand seem hell-bent on splitting the party every way. McCain is no shoe-in. Giuliana still hasn't come in, which may prove to be a mistake. Romney is expected to do better in Michigan. And then there's that good 'ole boy Huckabee in the South.

All of this suggests that by the time the GOP has finished beating itself up they will not really be in any condition to take on the Democrats. That will be fun to watch on its own.

On the Democrat side it will be interesting to see how Obama counters Clinton. She is slowly starting to alter her own message. She has pulled in a few more advisers, one or two from her White House days. She also has a formidable national organisation.

Obama by contrast seems to have no other message. Nice chap but having seen him "repeat" himself a few times it has even less substance. Even so it all makes for a fascinating contest.

I think South Carolina will be close. Even if Obama does pick it up, he will struggle in places like New York and Florida with its older population - two very big states for delegates.

Roll on Super Tuesday. :)

Florida doesn't count, for the Democrats.

NTM

• Advertisement

Hillary Clinton thinks its her right to be selected as the Democrat candidate, she is already behaving in a Presidential manner. If she cried because she was on the brink of losing NH caucus, can she be trusted not to bottle it if she made it to the White House, where the big decisions are made? I think she would not cut it, and the young voters in the US will see right through her.

Advertisement