Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barack Obama

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I'm sure I read somewhere that Edwards didn't want the VP slot. He might be given a place in the administration, though, in an area like healthcare or social deprivation.

I don't imagine Clinton will want or get the VP slot either - for Clinton it would mean being the #2 to a young upstart and for Obama it would mean having a former president and a very stubborn 2nd in command in his white house.

I'd say Clinton would take Senate majority leader or NY Gov. all maybe with the slight hope (in her mind anyway) that Obama would slip up this year and she could run again in 2012 under the banner of "I told you so".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Yeah I think it was in an interview with the NYT IIR that he said he doesn't want to do the whole VP thing again. No hope of Clinton as VP imo.

Does any barack remind anyone else of the rock, voice wise particularly? I think if he started using his eyebrows more effectively he might expand his standing with the redneck vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Well, this should certainly help the cause.
    Castro Casts His Vote For Obama
    Ruthie Ackerman, 05.26.08, 5:15 PM ET

If former Cuban President Fidel Castro could cast his vote in the upcoming U.S. presidential election his candidate of choice would be for Sen. Barack Obama.

Source: Forbes

As if Obama didn't have enough reasons to make the voters be wary of him, now the communists have tied themselves around his neck -- lolclown.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Minor flap this weekend when Obama was talking to a Veterans' Group (Memorial Day weekend, our version of Rememberance Sunday) claiming that "Well, no I didn't serve, but I've had family members who served. My uncle partook in the liberation of Auschwitz."

So someone had a think about it, "Hang on... his mother didn't have a brother", and looked it up. Auschwitz was liberated by the Red Army.

Turned out he wasn't too far from the truth. His great-uncle was in the 89th Div, a unit which liberated Buchenwald. Not a big deal in the end, most people couldn't tell one concentration camp from another.

My only issue is that it smacks a little of desperation to be claiming a military heritage via a great-uncle.

NTM

• Advertisement

Obama did indeed have a rough Memorial Day. He began a speech Monday in New Mexico saying:
    On this Memorial Day, as our nation honors its unbroken line of fallen heroes -- and I see many of them in the audience here today -- our sense of patriotism is particularly strong.

How would this guy withstand the pressures of being President? The primary season isn't even over yet and already the poor guy is hallucinating to the point of seeing zombies in a crowd.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Is a fallen hero necessarily a dead one? Doesn't maiming make one a fallen hero?

In the usage I'm familiar with, fallen means 'dead.'

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Is a fallen hero necessarily a dead one?
    The OED defines it thus: Also absol. of men. lit. and fig. spec., of those who have died in battle.

I get a sense about Obama that the Republicans are just waiting to rip him to shreds if he becomes the Democratic candidate.

I think he's all style and no substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Obama did indeed have a rough Memorial Day. He began a speech Monday in New Mexico saying:

How would this guy withstand the pressures of being President? The primary season isn't even over yet and already the poor guy is hallucinating to the point of seeing zombies in a crowd.

LOL :D

They'll really need to worry if while giving a speech he suddenly starts droning... BRAAAAAAAAINS! ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

In the usage I'm familiar with, fallen means 'dead.'

NTM

This is so petty to be honest.

If you dislike Obama attack him on his policies etc. but picking up these miniscule errors is just ridiculous and is nowhere near on the scale of Clinton blatantly lying about inciddents (Balkans anyone?) and openly talking about candidates possibly getting assasinated.

Also lets not forget THE FACT THAT SHE SAID SHE WOULD KILL OVER 70MILLION PEOPLE ON THE ACTIONS OF THEIR GOVERNMENT.

that was just scary. She said without flinching that she would murder 70million people. She didn't say that she would overthrow the regime responsible or whatever she said she would obliterate the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Wasn't Clinton's 'obliterate Iran' comment made on the night before or the actual morning of the Pennsylvania primary vote? How anyone could not feel their intelligence was insulted by such blatant opportunism and pandering to one voter group is beyond me.

Sure, Obama play's politics when he wants to (and needs to), but he's a novice when compared to Bill & Hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

I think he's all style and no substance.
    Hillary has neither. You don't get more plastic than Mrs. Clinton.

I think the faux fuss about Obama's gaffe and its implications is strange given that the Americans had no qualms electing Bush and his chronic verbal meltdowns.

Somehow I think Hillary's assassination remarks were a much more egregious "error" than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Obama has yet to be challanged with any intensity, this will come after he gets the official nod. So far anytime anyone looks to pin him down he suddenly gets a bit grim faced and aloof.

Mike.

As they say on the internet: WTF?

Seems like somebody is hiding something.
    May 30, 2008
    Although he hasn't had a physical in 16 months, Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama has been in "excellent health" and is medically fit to serve as president, his longtime doctor wrote in a letter released by the campaign Thursday.

The one-page medical overview came with no supporting documentation.

The brief letter contrasted with Sen. John McCain's decision to let a selected group of reporters spend three hours with about 1,200 pages of health records last week.

Source: LA Times

Probably just he hasn't had a need to release health records as his medical history isn't really a subject of great concern to the public: Nobody thinks he is at risk, so he hasn't seen a need to release them.

NTM

He should release them anyway. Fairs fair.

I see another priest has popped up to cause bother - Michael L. Pfleger. Can't he tell them to have a cup of STFU?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

mike65 wrote: »
    He should release them anyway. Fairs fair.

I see another priest has popped up to cause bother - Michael L. Pfleger. Can't he tell them to have a cup of STFU?

Mike.

He did, it was a one page document covering twenty-one years.

McCain's was twelve hundred, covering eight years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Just reading the comments there is such a disgusting undertone of racism in a lot of the posts its a shame.

You'd swear that a lot of american people view muslims like nazis viewed jews

• Advertisement

Probably just he hasn't had a need to release health records as his medical history isn't really a subject of great concern to the public: Nobody thinks he is at risk, so he hasn't seen a need to release them.

NTM

Presidents have been releasing their health records for years - all of them have done it except for Clinton. But what are the chances that Bill could have an embarassing medical condition *cough-STD-cough*?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭zuchum

Finally.
    Obama FTW :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

that was my favourite hillary speech to date :)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ah yes the small battle is finally over.

Hilarious now, she finally comes out saying "If it will help the democrative party" she will consider the VP slot.

lol.

Where was her concern for the democratic party in the last 2 months?!

Anyway, its still going to be a tight race between Obama and McCain.

Obama has won.

Thank god its over.

Over? Its only just begun. Now we'll see what happens regarding the "ticket", will Hill manage to stick her oar in? Then the actuall campaign for President.

Mike.

Obama has won.

Thank god its over.

Over? It hasn't even started, dude! The preliminaries are over; the main event is only just beginning.

You think you're fed up with it now? You have another five full months to go. And the next five months are going to be far more intense than the last five months.

(It almost breaks your will to go on living, doesn't it? :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

Hilary won't concede the race officially until she re-establishes her position within the party, and her place as Obama's running mate or within any potential administration. I am sure she will look for a help out with regards to her expenses to date..Until she gets assurances on these items she'll probably drag her heels and attempt to prolong the inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I've been keeping up to date on all the news and I honestly think that woman is missing a few screws. Why can't she just be done with it and congratulate Obama? If she is even allowed to make a go of being his Vice President candidate it would be an absolute shambles.

Either way, I'd love if Obama got the presidency. :)

• Advertisement

Over? It hasn't even started, dude! The preliminaries are over; the main event is only just beginning.

You think you're fed up with it now? You have another five full months to go. And the next five months are going to be far more intense than the last five months.

(It almost breaks your will to go on living, doesn't it? :D )

Hahah I meant the democratic nomination.

The battle with the republican machine is about to begin
    expect them to :
    Mislead,
    Scare,
    Make race an issue,
    flat out lie,
    etc.

Advertisement