Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barack Obama

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I see that Jessie Jackon was saying that Barak was talking down to black people (it's all over the news the last few days).

It goes to show that Barak is not n***ger enough for some balcks.

It was mentioed in the Boston Globe well over a year ago.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/04/11/obamas_silence_on_imus_alarms_some_blacks/

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

mike65 wrote: »
    Right now he's got the advantage of not being tainted by any political past. Being articulate is refreshing after 8 years of Bushisms, but he has yet to be tested to any real degree.

Mike.

Indeed. All style, the substance may come in the form of some skilled and experienced advisors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

storka wrote: »

His whole "change" thing is aimed at young voters. They get behind his hope of change but can he in reality actually make change? I don't think he can.

His whole rhetoric is pie in the sky. It's too grand, as Hilary rightly attacked him fro not being practical. He's full of charisma and grand statements, but I would respect a more down to earth approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

He will most definitely change things, but only for his own ends.

Another story for the WTH file, which most have probably seen by now.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/07/14/politics/politico/main4257077.shtml

one can easily see the satire they were aiming for, but I think it very much fell flat, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

also, yes you are that stupid. your country is one of the few in the world still 'debating' intelligent design V evolution, there are still people in your country who think saddam had Wmd and was operationally linked to al qaeda. and there are still people who think obama is a secret muslim.

there is intelligence in the united states, but it's not very well diluted.

Quite the statement to make: 'yes you are that stupid'.

Your generalisations are fabulous arrangements of creativity. Where did you learn such deep understanding of all things Rupert Murdoch? (oops - a Freudian! Apologies).

'Your country is debating': no, I don't think so. Some fundie-Christians certainly don't believe in evolution. They are in the majority in some places. In others, you would have a very hard time finding any of them. As a counter-point, should we talk about some of the nonsense that Irish Catholics have/still do believe in?

As for the 'Obama the Muslim': that's a pretty slim slice of the population. The rumour started from a chain email and some article written in a gutter-press magazine. There are some idiots out there who will only recall the soundbites. Let's hope they won't be voting.

Just as well intelligence (diluted or otherwise) is not a requirement to be a moderator.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Is it a lot to ask that people not get personal? Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Am I the only one to wonder what Obama is up to on his "European tour"? It seems to be strictly targeted at US audiences. So why Europe? We're not voting for him.
    It seems very poorly planned out and he has already had to pull the Brandenburg Gate "rally". The doubts about his foreign policy nous remain I am afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

is_that_so wrote: »
    Am I the only one to wonder what Obama is up to on his "European tour"? It seems to be strictly targeted at US audiences. So why Europe? We're not voting for him.
    It seems very poorly planned out and he has already had to pull the Brandenburg Gate "rally". The doubts about his foreign policy nous remain I am afraid.
    it's for his main liberal base, who feel like Bush and co have pretty much alienated all there allies. He's coming to Europe to mend fences and build up a rapport with Europes leaders, for when he hopefully gets into the white house.

Sadly though, fox news and there ilk will paint all this as pro-Europe = anti-american.

and with them already having layed the groundwork for questions about his patriotism, a major lovefest in Europe will be used as a stick to hit him with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ah but bush loves new europe with all the former commie turncoats and crazies

• Registered Users Posts: 83,258 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

norbert64 wrote: »
    Sadly though, fox news and there ilk will paint all this as pro-Europe = anti-american.

and with them already having layed the groundwork for questions about his patriotism, a major lovefest in Europe will be used as a stick to hit him with.

I think you'll find that Fox is rapidly losing credibility in the american media. This week they were accused of defaming Barack Obama, and this is how they respond (very professional :rolleyes:)
    The far-left billionaire George Soros has poured big money into the MoveOn organization, which espouses a radical left agenda and attacks those who oppose that nonsense. We have documented that for years. And frankly, MoveOn is simply boring. Most honest folks stay away from those people.
    The latest smear from MoveOn is telling their Kool-Aid drinking, zombie followers that FOX News is smearing Barack Obama and is a racist concern. Of course, that's a lie. This broadcast and FNC in general has been exceedingly fair to Senator Obama. Our conservative analysts oppose Obama. Our liberal analysts like him a lot. Our hard news people give the senator the benefit of the doubt.
    In short, we're fair. Our high ratings prove that. But we are not in the tank for Obama as NBC News is, for example. But in order to intimidate anyone from criticizing Obama in any way, MoveOn is playing the race card. What swell people they are.
    Now thankfully, few are buying the garbage. The only public person we know that's helping MoveOn smear FOX News is far-left Congressman Robert Wexler.
    Now Tuesday night, we reported Wexler doesn't even live in Florida, using a house owned by his mother-in-law as a phantom residence. Wexler's opponent for his House seat, Edward Lynch, has called for the FBI to investigate. Be that as it may. We are holding Wexler accountable for his smear against FNC.
    (BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)
    GRIFF JENKINS, FOX NEWS PRODUCER: You backed that petition for MoveOn.org that FOX News is biased or racist. Do you have anything that backs that up?
    REP. ROBERT WEXLER, D-FLA.: I'd be happy to talk to you at my office. I'll go through all of it.
    JENKINS: Because you sent out this e-mail…
    WEXLER: That's enough, sir. I've been more than...
    JENKINS: You sent us this e-mail that says — encourages your listeners to — well, here, I'll read it to you: "Below you find an important e-mail from MoveOn regarding election coverage of FOX News. I encourage every one of you to sign a petition and forward to your friends.
    WEXLER: I'd be happy to answer whatever question you would like.
    JENKINS: We just want to get — if you could tell me why you think FOX news is biased and racist?
    WEXLER: There are many reasons. And I'd be happy...
    JENKINS: Tell me.
    WEXLER: We're not doing that now. Give me your card.
    JENKINS: You can't tell me, can you?
    WEXLER: I can give you many reasons. Give me your card. I'd be happy to talk to you as much as you wish.
    (END VIDEO CLIP)
    But that's not true. We invited Wexler to explain himself this evening, last evening. He refused.
    Now in the beginning of this campaign, I told you that any media using the race card would be scrutinized by us, and that includes folks who may attack Senator Obama on that basis. But we have seen little of that. Instead, the vile far-left smear machines are trafficking in racial hate. And the MoveOn campaign is a vivid example of that.
    To his credit, Barack Obama has not made race an issue and was embarrassed when Jesse Jackson did that a few days ago. But Obama must condemn organizations like MoveOn and Daily Kos if he truly wants to run without a race component. These are the people that are dividing Americans along racial lines. It is not a stretch to say MoveOn is the new Klan.
    And that's "The Memo."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

You're not the only person raising eyebrows at it either. As McCain said, "I'll make such international Presidential speeches after I'm President.'

Some have also made note of the irony of the location. The Victory Column was built to celebrate military victories over Prussia's enemies. An interesting choice for a candidate who has staked the ground in a less militaristic stance.

He's also taken a bit of flak for spending his time in Germany speaking to the German public and going to the gym, instead of swinging by Landstuhl, the US Army's medical facility there. It is considered traditional for senior politicians to swing by the hospital which is where the most seriously injured US troops from Iraq/Afghanistan are sent, particularly if coming back from Iraq/Afghan 'fact-finding tours.' However, Army policy is not to let journalists in for these meetings, partially out of patient privacy, but mainly to avoid the troops becoming political PR props. Obama had originally scheduled a visit to Landstuhl, but apparently after being told 'no reporters', cancelled it.

I know the man's trying to win an election and needs PR events to do it, but that doesn't sit well with me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7527392.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

in the last week i've switched allegience from obama to mccain.

though my heart will always belong to ron paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Obama had originally scheduled a visit to Landstuhl, but apparently after being told 'no reporters', cancelled it.

I would assume his campaign knew that before he ever left for Europe so that doesn't sound quite right to me.

I think it can be more credibly explained with it being a very rushed tour. Still though, he probably should have called in anyway and delayed whatever he had on after...

With something that turned into "Obama's World Tour" he was always likely to screw up somewhere along the line. The Afghan/Iraqi/Middle Eastern leg struck me as obvious in establishing foreign policy credibility with US voters, plus it would have got him air time. The EU leg ,especially with the cringeworthy "Yes we can" chants in London, was asking for trouble and as I've commented not thought out at all.

For all the "building bridges" spin, I don't see that he really got much beyond the love-in that was expected anyway. In the swing states where the real fight will be , I doubt they know or much care where Europe is. There is also an arrogance to it that may in due course undo him. Comments throughout the whole campaign have suggested that it is the candidate that makes the least number of mistakes who is more likely to succeed. Giving the opponent a stick to beat you with is really not the way to do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

In fairness to him he was being killed by McCain for not having been in Iraq for 100 or so days. Then he goes on a world tour to establish his statesmanship, building relations and he gets killed for that too.
    I think it was a case of dammed if you do, dammed if you dont. That is the republican way.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Am I the only one to wonder what Obama is up to on his "European tour"? It seems to be strictly targeted at US audiences.

Well DAW!

He's also taken a bit of flak for spending his time in Germany speaking to the German public and going to the gym, instead of swinging by Landstuhl, the US Army's medical facility there. It is considered traditional for senior politicians to swing by the hospital which is where the most seriously injured US troops from Iraq/Afghanistan are sent, particularly if coming back from Iraq/Afghan 'fact-finding tours.' However, Army policy is not to let journalists in for these meetings, partially out of patient privacy, but mainly to avoid the troops becoming political PR props.

Time is limited and schedules are tight. Obama was on a PR trip, aimed at shoring-up his barely existent foreign policy credentials. He was right not to waste time on a stop that would have held no benefit for him. It's called politics ;)

Regarding the US Army's concern about not allowing patients to become PR props, it's interesting that it doesn't seem to be a problem over at Walter Reed. i've seen many reports over the past few years where Bush or one of his Administration cronies were photo-opping it up next to the bed of one unfortunate wounded soldier or other

CtrlSource wrote: »
    Well DAW!

And your point here is?

jank wrote: »
    In fairness to him he was being killed by McCain for not having been in Iraq for x days. Then he goes on a world tour to establish his statesmanship, building relations and he gets killed for that too.
    I think it was a case of dammed if you do, dammed if you dont. That is the republican way.

"World tour" is more for rock stars methinks and he made a mess of it. I see an exercise in spin and the real positive that comes out of that it is that it shows that he is just a politician like any other. It's an election and he was using the inevitable coverage as part of his campaign, which makes anything he does fair game as much as McCain is fair game.

And your point here is?

That you were stating the obvious ("It seems to be strictly targeted at US audiences.")

CtrlSource wrote: »
    That you were stating the obvious

Good to see you spotted it too so. :D I resent us being used as part of this cult of personality.

• Advertisement

Hehe. Fair enough. Personally, i like his cult of personality. It's refreshing!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Obama had originally scheduled a visit to Landstuhl, but apparently after being told 'no reporters', cancelled it.
    No reporters, so he doesn't go in? F**king muppet. Seems he's going to gyms more than talking to the marines. Evern though a few generals are saying not to become involved, I'd say this is spitting in the face of those in Iraq/Afghanistan. If this is what's he like before getting into power, I'd hate to see how he treats the troops if he gets into power.
    The Afghan/Iraqi/Middle Eastern leg struck me as obvious in establishing foreign policy credibility with US voters
    How many of them did he just goto the gym in?

=-=

Also, McCain never takes the piss out of Obama if Obama ever does anything good regarding the troops, only when Obama f**ks up. Which happens quite a lot.

"World tour" is more for rock stars methinks and he made a mess of it. I see an exercise in spin and the real positive that comes out of that it is that it shows that he is just a politician like any other. It's an election and he was using the inevitable coverage as part of his campaign, which makes anything he does fair game as much as McCain is fair game.

Oh i agree. US politics, especially presedential is like a rock star on tour. Its all PR, glitz, etc.
    But McCain cant have it both ways.

Its strange that they are trying to paint a half-black man whos mother was a poor woman from Kansas and his father from Kenya as "elite". WTF!?

Anyway, i like McCain, i would vote for him but watching him speak is like watching paint dry. One of the worst speakers i have ever heard. Obama will kill him in the debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Once again the Obama campaign has put it's foot in it.

Obama has to win the working class white votes in places like Ohio.

This is a demographic that has a great deal of repect for service men and women.

By not going to the hospital and the PR backlash that results will do nothing to help him get those white working class votes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

His reason for not going into the hospital was because he was put off by the commanding officers. They did not feel comfortable being used as publicity for the election and obama's people also felt it wouldn't look good.

His reason for not going into the hospital was because he was put off by the commanding officers. They did not feel comfortable being used as publicity for the election and obama's people also felt it wouldn't look good.

Dammed if you do, Dammed if you dont!:o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

jank wrote: »
    In fairness to him he was being killed by McCain for not having been in Iraq for 100 or so days.

The GOP's website counter was stopped at 925 days, 1 hour and 7 minutes.
    Regarding the US Army's concern about not allowing patients to become PR props, it's interesting that it doesn't seem to be a problem over at Walter Reed. i've seen many reports over the past few years where Bush or one of his Administration cronies were photo-opping it up next to the bed of one unfortunate wounded soldier or other

You can see it for Bush, the man's the Army's boss and is not running for election. A quick hunt on Google Images doesn't bring up any photographs of McCain posing with soldiers/Marines in hospital.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

So dont bring the cameras, as he was advised by the military. Go on a private visit, that isnt a campaign rally. Such a decision wont win him the election, but it will be the expected thing for a politician to do in such a scenario.

His decision not to go makes it look like he is only interested in photo-ops. It gives credence to the claim that theres no substance to him.

The only remarkable event from the entire publicity tour was that he admitted publically he got his opposition to the much ridiculed "surge" completely wrong and that McCain [ who took an incredible amount of stick for supporting it, and nearly lost his campaign on it] and especially Petreus [ or Betray Us as some of Obamas fans like to call him charmingly ] were right. Implying that if he was calling the shots on the war back last year, he would have aborted the successful strategy that the US have finally hit upon.

The unsurprising thing was that despite that, he announced he was determined to basically ignore Petreus and the advice of any other military leadership in Iraq. The US have a broadly successful strategy with a capable leader, but that cant get in the way of Obamas politics. Rumsfeld was similarly cavalier about disregarding the advice and expertise of his own military. Didnt turn out so well for him, the US or Iraq.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

There is a potential danger for McCain in overtly talking up the success of the surge. Truth is that over half the population did not want to get into Iraq, over half wanted them to leave once it started, and over half are now in favor of withdrawal.

"Yay! The surge is working. Look the success!"

"Okay. So can we come home now then?"

• Advertisement

Yeah i can't understand the logic of trumpeting the success of a strategy put in place to try and end total chaos and potential civil war (which was itself the result of the US led war in the first place). i mean bravo to the lads 'n lassies out there doing a thankless job on a dubious mandate, but c'mon Senator! Obama wasn't the only one who thought 'the surge' wouldn't work. Plenty in McCain's own ranks thought it wasn't a good idea

Advertisement