Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barack Obama

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Doesn't make him any the more wrong.

There was apparently no meeting of minds in Iraq. After the Obama/Patraeus meeting, the end result was that they agreed to disagree over where to go from here. Apparently Obama wishes to continue his 16-month-plan for Iraq and instead redivert a number of troops to Afghanistan. Patraeus wants to do the Iraq job right, and hang on to the troops until it's more than likely that the national security forces can prevent the country returning to chaos, and only then focus on Afghanistan.

Given the one has a better track record than the other on the matter of the counter-insurgency, I know who I'd put my money on for making the best decision as far as the military operations are concerned. Patraeus.

NTM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

given that one person who is prime minister in iraq has all but endorsed obamas' plan, what patraeus says is interesting at best.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

given that one person who is prime minister in iraq has all but endorsed obamas' plan, what patraeus says is interesting at best.

Not so fast.

Read the fine print. The comment came from an interview in Arabic with Der Spiegel, and got picked up by the American media. Maliki's spokesman is claiming a translation error.

At worst/best (depending on your viewpoint) Maliki has no problem with the concept of US combat troops out of the line in 2010. Frankly, neither would the American military. It's not exactly Club Med, and we don't enjoy it all that much. Plus we need the money to sort out our equipment, and there's another little scrap going on in Afghanistan. I've no idea why people think the Army wants to stay in Iraq any longer than it feels it needs to, and that refusing to set a hard deadline equates to an intent to stay longer than required.
    Anyway, Maliki is not sold 2010 as a hard deadline. The difference is that Obama is looking at something as a simple date to be out by, come Hell or High Water. The Iraqi government still holds conditions to be primary, which is Patraeus' viewpoint. It may be that conditions will be good after 16 months. If so, fantastic. If not...
    Iraqi VP wrote:
    "I'd be happy if we reach an agreement to say, for instance, the 31st of December 2010" would mark the departure of the last U.S. combat unit, he said - then noted that any such goal could be revised depending on threats and the pace of training for Iraqi security forces. That date would be some seven months later than Obama's 16-month timeline.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/world/article.html?in_article_id=229476&in_page_id=64

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

Bush quotes from today.
    "We now have brought home all five of the combat brigades and the three Marine units that were sent to Iraq as part of the surge. The last of these surge brigades return home this month"

He said later in the year, Gen. David Petraeus, the top U.S. commander in Iraq, will provide "recommendations on future troop levels, including further reductions in our combat forces as conditions permit."

I believe the troops withdrawals will occur at the same rate whether its McCain or Obama. Obama is promising a timetable but he knows the obstacles that stand in the way. The economy is more important for most people.

Source:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/meast/07/31/bush.iraq/index.html

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I see Ludacris has waded in to the ring of political heavyweight commentary in favour of Obama.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Isnt Spears supposed to be a Republican? I remember she got "Worst Supporting Actress" for her spot in that Farenheit 911 movie by Michael Moore where she apparently had a spot gushing with praise for President Bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 phoebeclark

He has new ideals and a fresh face amidst familiar faces in Washington. Though I am a bit doubtful about his ability to actually lead considering his background is as a lawmaker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

Sand wrote: »
    Isnt Spears supposed to be a Republican? I remember she got "Worst Supporting Actress" for her spot in that Farenheit 911 movie by Michael Moore where she apparently had a spot gushing with praise for President Bush.

Right you are. I guess Brittney Spears' support is only damaging when she is supporting a democrat.

Paris Hilton's dad also made huge donations to the McCain campaign this year. Somewhat embarrassing for McCain when he is comparing his opponent to one of his own supporter's daughter.

I just don't think the Dems are as good at smearing the opponent. They do not seem to steep as low and end up losing because of it. The political process in the USA reaches out to the fears and insecurities of the lowest common denominator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone else mighty bored with the Irish medias obsessing about Obamas Irish roots? They won't stop until they can prove he is decended from the High Kings of (insert province here).

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

With a name like O'Bama, sure he has to be Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone else mighty bored with the Irish medias obsessing about Obamas Irish roots? They won't stop until they can prove he is decended from the High Kings of (insert province here).

Mike.

Yea I'm sick of it alright

Read something this week that this ancenestor of his was fairly well to do, ended up being Provost of TCD, hardly the kind of folk your run of the mill Irish American is decended from.

I am sick of the Irish media's obesssion with Obama full stop, you'd swer he had the election won alreday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Kiss the Girls

Once again the Obama campaign has put it's foot in it.

Obama has to win the working class white votes in places like Ohio.

This is a demographic that has a great deal of repect for service men and women.

By not going to the hospital and the PR backlash that results will do nothing to help him get those white working class votes.

Obama is not going to get the white working class vote of Ohio. I grew up in Cleveland (23 years), and am black. I know the people of that area far too well. He won't get that demographic, and trying would be a wasted effort. In the week leading up to the primary we had Obama people come to our house (99% black neighborhood) three times, just to make sure we were going to vote. They didn't bother asking who we were going to vote for. Offered to give us a ride to the polling place, which was at the end of my street.
    My point is if the blacks of Cuyahoga county actually go out and vote then Obama can win Ohio. After looking at the return numbers from the primaries I'm not so sure that is going to happen, and if there is alot of snow on the ground at the time forget it McCain will win Ohio. Obama's organizers know this. They know for him to win in states like Ohio, Michigan and Pennsylvania blacks have to stop being apathetic about voting.

Advertisement