Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Calls

Options
  • 06-01-2008 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the correct section to post this, but im on the o2 network and i keep gettin phone calls from a withheld number and have been the past 3 months or so. I was wondering is there anything i can do to find out who it is that keeps calling me as they just make stupid noises down the phone and then hang up. Unfortunately I have to keep answering withheld calls as i get a lot of business calls from private numbers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

O2 won't do anything without Gardai intervention so go to the Guards first. You should also record the times and dates of the calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

If it's quite a few and persistent: Make a complaint to o2 and the Gardaí. Gardaí first - bring your phone and a list of times/dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 FluffyKidney

I am a meteor customer and have been receiving random calls on and off for the last month or so. The calls are coming mostly in the early evening and are from a blocked number or from a number 6410000. When I try to call that number back I get a weird noise like its out of service. It is starting to get very annoying. Anybody else had a similar experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

I am a meteor customer and have been receiving random calls on and off for the last month or so. The calls are coming mostly in the early evening and are from a blocked number or from a number 6410000. When I try to call that number back I get a weird noise like its out of service. It is starting to get very annoying. Anybody else had a similar experience?

i think that 6410000 number is customer rep either for meteor or a bank or some sort. got similar a while ago but cant remember exactly who it was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

Are you on bill?

I had this problem with meteor and i'm bill - but the only way i found out who the person was, was through my bill. I was away with work and the number kept ringing and being a nusiance down the phone. When my bill arrived it showed the number that called on the bill under roaming, cos when ur away you have to pay for recieved abroad so it itemised the number. I rang it, played along for a bit found out the guys name over the phone then told him who i was and to back the hell off. Only time i was glad of my bill!!

Not sure if this will help though! sorry

• Advertisement

I am pay as you go with meteor.

Haven't had a bad experience yet with whoever it is that's calling. Every time I answer there is a brief few seconds of silence and then whoever it is hangs up. I don't care about the 6410000 number really but when I get the missed call from the blacked number I have to check my voicemail, several friends and family members have x-directory numbers and so I dunno if it was them who called or this randomer. I know most of the calls I am getting from a blocked number are not from people I know because I usually ring round to see who I might have missed. It's just irritating, especially seeing as meteor charge me to listen to my voicemail :(

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Haven't had a bad experience yet with whoever it is that's calling. Every time I answer there is a brief few seconds of silence and then whoever it is hangs up. I don't care about the 6410000 number really but when I get the missed call from the blacked number I have to check my voicemail, several friends and family members have x-directory numbers and so I dunno if it was them who called or this randomer. I know most of the calls I am getting from a blocked number are not from people I know because I usually ring round to see who I might have missed. It's just irritating, especially seeing as meteor charge me to listen to my voicemail :(

Ex directory landlines do show the number because my house phone is one of them. the 6410000 number is probably a number with lots of extensions and you're being pranked from just one that cant be traced unless you know the extension- happened to me, got 2 missed calls from a number. when i rang back it was cork university hospital and thats what they said. and lastly, meteor pay as you go offers free voicemail!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Meteor do have free voicemail, but on the original Anytime, voicemail was 9c per minute. On all other plans, it's free. I wouldn't be complaining as the older plans have bonus credit every month and free SMS/MMS. What you gain on the swing, you loose on the roundabout and so on and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Jeapy wrote: »
    Ex directory landlines do show the number because my house phone is one of them. the 6410000 number is probably a number with lots of extensions and you're being pranked from just one that cant be traced unless you know the extension- happened to me, got 2 missed calls from a number. when i rang back it was cork university hospital and thats what they said. and lastly, meteor pay as you go offers free voicemail!
    My house is ex-directory but doesn't show up

Jeapy wrote: »
    and lastly, meteor pay as you go offers free voicemail!

not if you have been with them as long as I have!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mazdagirl

Hi
    I have the same problem, only the number is not blocked they keep ringing my phone for 3 or 4 rings and then hanging up I have also been getting text messages from this person asking me why I don't answer and asking me to be their friend, I rang o2 they were very helpful because I had the number they put me through to their techs and they tried to find out where the calls coming from apparently it coming from pakistan or someplace like that, there was nothing they could do for me only advise me to go to the guards and change my number, I think whoever it is has got bored now they only ring once a week in the middle of the night and have stopped texting me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭JohnC.

mazdagirl wrote: »
    Hi
    I have the same problem, only the number is not blocked they keep ringing my phone for 3 or 4 rings and then hanging up I have also been getting text messages from this person asking me why I don't answer and asking me to be their friend, I rang o2 they were very helpful because I had the number they put me through to their techs and they tried to find out where the calls coming from apparently it coming from pakistan or someplace like that, there was nothing they could do for me only advise me to go to the guards and change my number, I think whoever it is has got bored now they only ring once a week in the middle of the night and have stopped texting me now.

I thought there was some way to block numbers from getting through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'd been having the same problem the last 2 weeks...witheld number, ringing a few times then haging up, or when I'd answer it, seemingly no-one on the other end.
    I answered it this morning and stayed on the line to see if someone was laughing or whatever and then suddenly it's some scottish call centre operating for Sky wanting to sell me related products... I asked the girl was it them who'd been caling the last while and she said it probably was...I told her I wasn't interested and could my number be flaggged for no marketing calls, which she said it would be. Funny, because I recall ticking boxes on sign up to opt out of any marketing calls/spam.
    It might be a good idea to wait 4-5 seconds after answering as it seems to take that long for some call centre numbers to connect properly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Wertz wrote: »
    I'd been having the same problem the last 2 weeks...witheld number, ringing a few times then haging up, or when I'd answer it, seemingly no-one on the other end.
    I answered it this morning and stayed on the line to see if someone was laughing or whatever and then suddenly it's some scottish call centre operating for Sky wanting to sell me related products... I asked the girl was it them who'd been caling the last while and she said it probably was...I told her I wasn't interested and could my number be flaggged for no marketing calls, which she said it would be. Funny, because I recall ticking boxes on sign up to opt out of any marketing calls/spam.
    It might be a good idea to wait 4-5 seconds after answering as it seems to take that long for some call centre numbers to connect properly...

Some sales type call centres have automatic dialing. A computer dials number after number, if someone answers, the call is passed to a phone operator. If no one answers or if it goes to voicemail, it hangs up and puts your number to the back of the list. It might be something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sounds like that might be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I thought that was illegal here?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Happening to me an i'm on vodafone, was trying to ring it back because i'm looking for an appartment and tought it might be one of them calling me, I searched it and this thread came up, puts my mind more at ease

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I'm on Vodafone as well, and have been getting several missed calls from the 6410000 number (two of them this evening alone). I googled the number to see if I could figure out who it was, and this thread popped up! It's not my main phone so I wasn't there to answer it, and what happens when I try to ring back is interesting. If I call back from my vodafone mobile I get the whiney noise and "error in connection" comes up on the screen. However if I ring it from my O2 phone I get a voice repeatedly saying "the customer you are calling is not reachable at the moment - please try again later" on a loop. It's an Irish, but not overly Irish accent, so I'm guessing south Co Dublin - wish I knew who it was though!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Igy wrote: »
    I thought that was illegal here?

it is

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    it is

Are you sure ?

This link suggests that it isn't illegal -

http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Case_Study_9/98_Telephone_Based_Market_Research/154.htm

I'd be interested to know if there is specific legislation against it because it is otherwise a loophole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

parsi wrote: »
    Are you sure ?

This link suggests that it isn't illegal -

http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Case_Study_9/98_Telephone_Based_Market_Research/154.htm

I'd be interested to know if there is specific legislation against it because it is otherwise a loophole.

market research =/= tele marketing

the law is against calling you to sell you something. market research is fine. my gf used to work for a market research companies and they randomly generated numbers

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Thanks for clearing that up.
    Sam Vimes wrote: »
    market research is fine. my gf used to work for a market research companies and they randomly generated numbers

Market Research is far from being fine.

It too is a pain in the neck being disturbed by folk asking invasive questions.

DoNotCall should also apply to marketing calls..if I don't have to listen to an incoherent guy selling e double-glazing I shouldn't have to listen to his brother asking me my age and ooccupation....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 dotnetster

hiya
    i'm getting the same calls. i think it's AIB. They rang me a couple of weeks ago, to tell me about some online banking seminar event. told them i wasn't interested, and have been getting calls from that number ever since. when you answer it, there is silence, then a dial tone, and then someone answer. I guess they automatically dial a load of numbers in one go, and then when someone answers, it takes a second or so them to connect to the call - hence the silence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

afaik any machine which allows auto-dialing is illegal to use and could also be illegal to own in Ireland, but companies like sky and others can get around this by having the auto-dialer on a uk phone line and transferring the calls as they are answered to their irish sales office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

foggy_lad wrote: »
    afaik any machine which allows auto-dialing is illegal to use and could also be illegal to own in Ireland, but companies like sky and others can get around this by having the auto-dialer on a uk phone line and transferring the calls as they are answered to their irish sales office.

Its not illegal, wardialling is however.. i.e. calling without the intent to communicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

Had this from NTL too. They kept ringing me to get me to upgrade to NTL Digital...after I had told their sales office to cancel my account. Kept telling them i was not interested and never to call me again for any sales calls.

Eventually had to lose the plot with one of them and tell them that if they ever called again I would sue them for harassment. Funnily enough they stopped calling after that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭quincyk

I'd a missed call from that number today.

I may be wrong, but I highly suspect AIB are linked to it.

They've rang me a couple of times on a blocked number over the last few days, but I hung up on them when they suggested we have a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

Also getting missed calls from this number, quite odd. Wonder whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Its an AIB banking customer service number. You can call them back on 1850 788 336Caller ID: 6410000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

the_syco wrote: »
    Its an AIB banking customer service number. You can call them back on 1850 788 336Caller ID: 6410000

Cheers for this, I was called two times today. Does it suggest something might be wrong, if you're an AIB customer?

I rang the number you posted, the hours are 9am-9pm, which would fit the calls, just before they closed.

I'm annoyed now, wary of blocked numbers generally.

As a side note: I would be in favour of the customer not being able to block their number, I'm surprised telephony\technology was allowed to evolve in that direction. It favours the knacker and the pig ignorant.

Advertisement