Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing car from UK

Options
  • 06-01-2008 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I am currently living in the UK and would like to import a car for my father. I have tried to garner information from the various state bodies and depts in Ireland on the points below but they seem to be very reluctant to provide the information. Any advice would be very appreciated.

How long do you have to be tax resident in the UK before you can purchase the car?

How long do you have to keep the car in the UK before you can bring it home?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I think you have to have owned the car for 6 months in the UK and must be able to prove you lived there during this time, for this you will need utility company bills or something along those lines. Then you can import it into Ireland without paying VRT, however you must keep the car for 2 years without selling it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

however you must keep the car for 2 years without selling it on

Wrong. 12 months... after that you can change the ownership to your dad's name.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/moving-to-ireland/coming-to-live-in-ireland/importing_car_into_ireland/?searchterm=vrt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

EAS45 wrote: »
    I am currently living in the UK and would like to import a car for my father. I have tried to garner information from the various state bodies and depts in Ireland on the points below but they seem to be very reluctant to provide the information. Any advice would be very appreciated.

How long do you have to be tax resident in the UK before you can purchase the car?

How long do you have to keep the car in the UK before you can bring it home?

Thanks

who did you actually try? the VRO will give you that information.

here's some phone numbers: http://www.drivinginfo.ie/buying-a-car-vrt-vehicle-registration-tax-ireland.php

how were they "reluctant" to give the infortmation? its not exactly top secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 EAS45

quarryman, if you can direct me to any definitive material posted on any of the relevent websites, I'd be much obliged!!! As regards your other query, you obvoiusly haven't ever tried ringing!

As you can see, the two other posters have different opinions, (which I am grateful for), that's what I am trying to clarify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/faqs/faq_cat8.htm

The other poster is correct.
    If you have owned the car for +12 months and can prove you were UK resident for that period then you can import the car for free.
    You will have to keep the car in your own name i.e. not sell it for either 12 months or 2 years I'm not sure which.

Telephone the local county council offices for the area where the car will be imported to and ask for their VRT department.

• Advertisement

thanks very much for your posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

If you tell me where the car is going to I'll try to send you the phone number that you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/faqs/faq_cat8.htm

The other poster is correct.
    If you have owned the car for +12 months and can prove you were UK resident for that period then you can import the car for free.
    You will have to keep the car in your own name i.e. not sell it for either 12 months or 2 years I'm not sure which.

Telephone the local county council offices for the area where the car will be imported to and ask for their VRT department.
    Amazing how you can link to the revenue.ie site and still get the facts wrong!

The person importing the car must have lived abroad for a minimum of 12 months, and must have owned (and used) the car for at least 6 months. Car cannot be sold within 12 months of importation.

So, OP, you will have to import the car yourself (don't say it's for your father!) and allow your father to drive it for the first 12 months, then transfer ownership to him.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 PeelerHurley

1 small question but how would they know if u sold it on within 12 months and have they ever gone after anyone for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

1 small question but how would they know if u sold it on within 12 months and have they ever gone after anyone for it?

They regulary run a database check (monthly I've been told) for changes of registered owners where the VRT was 0 and the the registration date was less than 12 months. This is then followed up by the nearest customs office.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

esel wrote: »
    Amazing how you can link to the revenue.ie site and still get the facts wrong!

The person importing the car must have lived abroad for a minimum of 12 months, and must have owned (and used) the car for at least 6 months. Car cannot be sold within 12 months of importation.

So, OP, you will have to import the car yourself (don't say it's for your father!) and allow your father to drive it for the first 12 months, then transfer ownership to him.

Yep, this info is exactly right. I know someone who did this. You have to prove, so far as I know, that you've moved back to Ireland for good though, like with employment details, and not just back with a car. Also, I think they only let you do this once.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

One final thing to add. Make sure the Car has more than 6000Kms when imported on the clock or you will end up paying irish VAT 21% on top of what you paid in the UK.

thanks for your replies, one question on foot of them. Would I have to be returning to Ireland (to live and work) when imporing the car or can you bring it in and let my father drive it for a year before transferring ownership?

Is this somethig the revenue look into?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

EAS45 wrote: »
    thanks for your replies, one question on foot of them. Would I have to be returning to Ireland (to live and work) when imporing the car or can you bring it in and let my father drive it for a year before transferring ownership?

Is this somethig the revenue look into?

I would say, yes, the revenue are not stupid, a lot of people try to do what you're going to do and if your only trying to save your father a few 1000s, the revenue will smell a rat.

However if you're genuinely coming home to Ireland, i.e. proof of Ferry trip, Final UK pay slip, your not studying in the UK, proof of last Mortgage/rental payment, closure of Utility Bills (B&B/Hotel receipts won't do as they are deemed to be temporary).

Bottom line is, once the Car is on Irish plates, and in your name for more the 12 months, i cant see why the revenue would be interested in following you up once the 12 months are up.

It would be difficult to import a second car in the future however.

thanks mc big, is this something the revenue always require as part of the process, last payslips, closure of utiity bills etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Pretty sure Revenue will require evidence that you are taking up residence here. The exemption (from VRT) is called 'Transfer of Residence' after all.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

you will have to proof transfer of residence. My wife has to bring a letter of offer from her new employers along with proof that she lived in the UK for more than the 12 months.

Remember the VRT boys are not stupid and have heard and seen every possible scam before.

Advertisement