Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC4 Pop music season

Options
  • 06-01-2008 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

The "posh" channel is doing its bit for pop-culture again (think Channel 4 with brains) with a stack of programmes about the art of popular music, Shows include How Pop Songs Work, Pop Whats it Good For?, various Classic Albums repeats, Pop Music On Trial er Absolute Beginners (the movie), live concerts and so on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/musictv/pop/

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Yap Stam

Old basturds bangin on about how great the 60's were- a thinly veiled way of saying "Things were better in my day!".
    If I wasn't into music I'd see those things and say "Jesus Not another fukkin 'nostalgia season' ". But I am in to music so fukk them.
    Tenner bets there'll be sum dinosaur sh1tin on about how great vinyl is- still though, can't blame 'em; I wouldn't want to be stuck in a retirement home whilst slowly coming to terms with the fact that my whole life peaked with a 3 minute pop song 40 years ago.

Wonder will they wheel out the stones?

hope they show the "old whistle test" videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

A lot of good music around today but also loads of bland stuff as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Yap Stam wrote: »
    Old basturds bangin on about how great the 60's were- a thinly veiled way of saying "Things were better in my day!".
    If I wasn't into music I'd see those things and say "Jesus Not another fukkin 'nostalgia season' ". But I am in to music so fukk them.
    Tenner bets there'll be sum dinosaur sh1tin on about how great vinyl is- still though, can't blame 'em; I wouldn't want to be stuck in a retirement home whilst slowly coming to terms with the fact that my whole life peaked with a 3 minute pop song 40 years ago.

Wonder will they wheel out the stones?

Eh, what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Thought How Pop Songs Work was pretty awful. The presenter was up his own aser (Amy Winehouse is brave for bridging from a minor to a sharp on Back to Black. Why? Was she in danger of her skin falling off if it didn't work?) and the most of the examples were so tired (ABBA, Beatles,Queen) or awful (Amy Winehouse, Wyclef Jean - WTF?, Cher - WTF?)
    Haven't caught any other programs yet, but sure they'll be repeated to death. Glad to see Stuart 'Freakzone' Maconie getting a gig on telly. Anyone catch the Paul Morley show? Sure its up to his usual standard and will make up for HPW

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I taped Pual Morleys prog and I watched How Pop Songs Work last night, I agree about the choice of material for a lot of it and there was'nt any great insight into technique.

Mike.

Advertisement