Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bandwidth???

Options
  • 06-01-2008 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭

Lads,

Sometimes my internet connection on my laptop gets pretty slow but I've been thinking that it may be because my brother uses youtube a lot on the desktop PC.

We share a 1mb BT connection with me on wifi using the laptop and him on the ethernet.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You really know when you're sharing bandwidth. I suppose you're bound to notice it more on 1 Mbps connection. Then you can factor in contention which will mean having a connection possibly well below 1 Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

Yeah you do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Get NetLimiter for both your PCs and limit the bandiwdth that can be used so that you both have an equal share.

Get a load balancing router, more expensive though ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭Fabio

NetLimiter....

I'll have a look Random, thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

try upgrading to 2mb or even 3mb if u want more speed....1mb is just too little in my book

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Nothingbetter2d - That's another option, but he will still have a similiar problem if one person on the LAN is streaming videos or maxing out the download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

A 1mb connection simply isn't enough if a few people are using it at the same time.

A 2mb connection isn't gonna cost too much more...

Advertisement