Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carnmore EICM today 06/08

Options
  • 06-01-2008 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭

Spent a couple of hours up at Carnmore today for my first aviation pictures of 08. The usual suspects though.

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Nice!
    Did ya not get ay of the flying club? they were out in strength today! I was listening in on the tower!;) What time abouts were ya there?
    Visibility was fairly crappy too, the crew of the arann that came in around 10 in the evening said it was very rough!
    Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

REA's new scheme looks well.
    Nice pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Nice pics, don't need to go to the airport myself to get pics like that. They come over the house and rattle all the windows. On a stormy night it sounds like they scrape the chimneys and I can actually hear the props going into reverse pitch after they touch down. As I understand it EICM is a Captains only landing due to it been narrow and bumpy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Last shot for me Roger, its a belter!!!! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

cp251 wrote: »
    Nice pics, don't need to go to the airport myself to get pics like that. They come over the house and rattle all the windows. On a stormy night it sounds like they scrape the chimneys and I can actually hear the props going into reverse pitch after they touch down. As I understand it EICM is a Captains only landing due to it been narrow and bumpy.

Need a lodger???

• Advertisement

darragh-k wrote: »
    Nice!
    Did ya not get ay of the flying club? they were out in strength today! I was listening in on the tower!;) What time abouts were ya there?
    Visibility was fairly crappy too, the crew of the arann that came in around 10 in the evening said it was very rough!
    Darragh

I did get a few but white aircraft against overcast skies don't make for great pictures, I will have a look and see if there are any half decent ones later and then post them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Agreed, much better than the two(?) other schemes they've had.

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Need a lodger???

How are you with babies? :D You'd have to share a room :eek: The consolation is that the Velux is in direct line with the runway so you can the whites of the pilot's eyes on finals and the white knuckles on stormy days. ;)

I rent you the place when we move out into our new bigger house soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 JustaJourno

Lovely shots Vulcan... what camera are you using out of interest? Theyre very crisp and clear.

Lovely shots Vulcan... what camera are you using out of interest? Theyre very crisp and clear.

I'm using a Canon 350D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 FidesEtRobur

Hey, a few points
    Nice pics.

That's not REA. It's one of the new 500s, either REL or REM.
    As I understand it EICM is a Captains only landing due to it been narrow and bumpy.

Only at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

That new colour scheme is spot on for sure !

Nice photos.

I am going to ask a silly question now , are there no flights from there to the Islands , do they still use BN 2s for that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

That's not REA. .

No, when I said REA I meant Aer Arann, REA being their ICAO Code. I didnt mean EI-REA at all......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Davidth88 wrote: »
    That new colour scheme is spot on for sure !

Nice photos.

I am going to ask a silly question now , are there no flights from there to the Islands , do they still use BN 2s for that ?

Not from Carnmore, they fly from Inverin to the three islands using the BN2B/BN2T. Fun 10 minute flight :) Why dont they use Carnmore and link with the international/regional services I wonder?

Ah they fly in to eicm to train their pilots and to service the planes. EICM will either be moving:( or extending its existing runway:) then it will be able to take the 737's:) It is a rapidly developing airport, in the summer not a half hour goes by that a plane from aer arann or flybe or the likes doesnt fly in!...which isnt much....but a big difference from back in the aer lingus days!

darragh-k wrote: »
    Ah they fly in to eicm to train their pilots and to service the planes. EICM will either be moving:( or extending its existing runway:) then it will be able to take the 737's:) It is a rapidly developing airport, in the summer not a half hour goes by that a plane from aer arann or flybe or the likes doesnt fly in!...which isnt much....but a big difference from back in the aer lingus days!

They service them out in Connemara Airport, a mate of mine is a Mechanic there! Do speak more about EICM moving? What do you know?:) Are they moving to beside the Army Range? If so then i will have to ask for more "Guard ( well photography ) Duty" at the Range instead of Firing!:p

If EICM did move, what would happen to it as it is now? Keep it open for small GA??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Jakey

The airport isnt moving anywhere, New hangers just been built, Departures currently being renovated, New airside shop, arrivals renovations this summer.

The runway has roads on both ends and the ground falls away quite a bit on 08 end. Wont be extended anytime soon.

IMO I cant see it moving, but I was talking to one of the controllers there and at the 08 end of the runway, they can push that out about 20 metres and extend it 750m and it will be clear of the road because it turn right away from the runway and then it will be able to take the 737's....not going to be happening in the very near future, but it can be done when the funding comes along. as regards it moving to the firing range...I cant see it happening, who's going to buy the airport? the flying club cant afford it and if the airport move the flying club will most likely move with it, also, if they were planning on moving it they wouldn't have spent 6million on 2 new hangars and the terminal.
    Also regarding the aer arann islands, I thought thats where they did the servicing, your probably right though, its just I seen them practicing go arounds and touch n goes there a lot in October.

Darragh

There is talk of extending the runway to take bigger jets. It is a bit constrained at the moment but it's do-able. They need to widen it too. I wonder if they could do something like Kerry did, buil a new runway a little further out but parallel? Perhaps not.

I happen to think though, that a jet capable runway might not be good for Aer Arann. Bad boy Ryanair would muscle in straight away not to mention Aer Lingus. Galway would be a plum of a destination for the big boys.

As for the idea of a move back to Oranmore. I don't think so. They should never have left in the first place. It was chosen as an ideal spot for an Airfield by the RAF many years ago. (Along with Collinstown, Baldonnel, Gormanstown). It still is but apparently the attitude of the owners of the former Oranmore airfield at the time drove out Aer Arann and a German industrialist, Steiner, who had his own aircraft. Steiner had the airfield built beside his factory in Carnmore and it has expanded ever since. But it's in the wrong place for an airport really, with a house at one end and a hole at the other.

Aer Arann islands then had a dispute with the Carnmore people and moved to Connemara.

Darragh, I believe, but I could be wrong that all the flying by the Aer Arann Islanders into EICM was training for potential City Jet pilots who are doing their Multi IR with Aer Arann Islands. It's part of the Sigmar jet pilot course which starts with training in South Africa. They use Carnmore for their instrument approaches. They did appear to be flying the ILS from what I saw.

cp251, Your exactly right, it would not do aer arann any good whatso ever. I would prefer for them to expand their fleet rather than more airlines coming in. We are pretty well served as regards airlines for the demand there is, flybe and arann and skynet(charter airline for summer mainly) You are probably right, I only seen them do go arounds and circuits etc, so you more than likely are right.
    And the airport is in a crap position, Oranmore would be the ideal, although that is becoming VERY industrialised now, I go to school there.

Darragh

• Advertisement

cp251 wrote: »
    I wonder if they could do something like Kerry did, buil a new runway a little further out but parallel?

Thats what EICM did too as the "Ramp" is indeed the Old Original Runway that Steiner built.

Advertisement