Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migranes

Options
  • 06-01-2008 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,
    In recent months I was diagnosed with chronic migranes and was offered two types of medication to combat them, one was a tablet to take if I felt a migrane coming on and another was a tablet to take everyday to prevent the migranes from occuring at all.

Its hit and miss with full blown migranes for me I could go months without one and then have a few within a short space of time, that said I would generally have some form of headache most days even if its just an intense lightening bolt pain that only happens once. For this reason I chose the tablet which I just take when I feel a migrane coming on (Zomig) as I didnt feel comfortable being on long term medication un-necessarly because the other headaches i didnt think could be classified as migranes as there isnt always nausea etc.

I was just wondering if anyone is on full time medication for migranes and could tell me if it stops ALL headaches because even though they're not always migranes the consistancy if them is making college and life in general difficult.

Any input would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I have had severe migraines for years, usualy 4 or 5 times a week with violent vomiting and terible pain,I now take a drug called Sanomigrane every day and it works very well, but when i do get one a good cure i found and the only one that works for me is ....Two Disprin and a can of Red Bull....
    It may sound strange but it always always works.
    I always have Disprin and Red Bull with me at all times now, in the car, when i travel ect.

Try it and let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

2 solpidine soluble, 1/2 glass of milk, a kip, takes the worst of it away, i suffer from clusters migraines, get them for 11 days on the trot,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Feebz

My friend is on medication every day (a beta blocker) to prevent migraine, and still she gets them. Not as frequently as before though. You should get those headaches properly checked out by your doc. I don't suffer from migraines but have suffered from almost daily headaches for as long as I can remember. Eventually 3 or 4 months ago I decided to get to the bottom of it....turns out it was from taking the pill, which was also raising my blood pressure. I came off it and have not had a headache since. Bliss!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Feebz wrote: »
    My friend is on medication every day (a beta blocker) to prevent migraine, and still she gets them. Not as frequently as before though. You should get those headaches properly checked out by your doc. I don't suffer from migraines but have suffered from almost daily headaches for as long as I can remember. Eventually 3 or 4 months ago I decided to get to the bottom of it....turns out it was from taking the pill, which was also raising my blood pressure. I came off it and have not had a headache since. Bliss!

Have heard of this many times....amazing it isnt more widely known that being on the pill long term raises you BP enough to give migraines.

On the subject of betta blockers......One of the side affects of some(if not all????) is extreme tiredness in some people.
    I took them for a few mounths and found going up the stairs had me exhausted:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

JodiBenson, was your doctor able to identify any triggers for your migraine? Like you, I resisted being put on long-term meds for mine, and through a lot of trial and error (and with my GP's supervision - don't mess with your meds without medical supervision) I've learned enough about my triggers to control them, for the most part.

Personally, I think, if you can manage it, prevention by controling triggers is much much better than filing yourself with pills, but sometimes it is neccesary, so don't just dispense with your meds.

I hope you can get the migraines under control. *hugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Thankfully I'm not a chronic sufferer, but I do get a migraine at least once every 3 months.
    There was a time when I was get them every two weeks and it was caused by Anaemia!
    The main cause for mine, however, is after a stressful situation when I'm starting to relax. Then the zig zags start to creep into my right eye.
    I generally take 2 panadol and drink a gallon of water and go to sleep. Also, when I do get sick I feel much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

N8 wrote: »

Yes I would follow this suggestion. I would be more inclined to go for massage therapy. Indian Head massage is great for migraines, it works on the big areas of tension, shoulders, neck, head, face. It could be referral points from muscles in those areas that could be causing the migraines, it's a very common complaint. Work done to the scalp is really beneficial. I would definitely recommend some form of massage therapy for your problem, especially seeing as you are a student.
    fozzle wrote: »
    JodiBenson, was your doctor able to identify any triggers for your migraine?

Personally, I think, if you can manage it, prevention by controling triggers is much much better than filing yourself with pills, but sometimes it is neccesary, so don't just dispense with your meds.

Again I agree with this post, it is better to find something to be able to do to help control or help prevent the migraines without having to take medication. And yes, did the GP find any triggers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Dark chocolate, gravey and cheese? Anyone else find these are serious triggers?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

Chocolate and chees aren't triggers for me but my cousin and my uncle can't touch them.

Another thing, my mam can't drink red wine because it gives her a dreadful migraine.

For me, perfume is a killer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I heard that mayonnaise is another one! Weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

nerdysal wrote: »
    The main cause for mine, however, is after a stressful situation when I'm starting to relax. Then the zig zags start to creep into my right eye.
    I generally take 2 panadol and drink a gallon of water and go to sleep. Also, when I do get sick I feel much better.
    nerdysal wrote: »
    For me, perfume is a killer!
    Nerdysal, are you me? ;) I'm exactly the same; my worst migraines (although to be fair, none of them have exactly been a walk in the park) have always come after a period of intense stress such as exams. Strong perfume also exacerbates them, as does lots of junk food. Another major one has been when my sleep pattern gets messed up - if I sleep too little or else too much for a few days at a time. At one stage in my final year in college I was getting one every week but I've managed to cut it down and only getting them every few months now.

OP it usually takes a bit of trial and error to find out what helps you deal with them. Sorry, I know that isn't what you necessarily want to hear! I was prescribed Paramax but they're pretty useless tbh. I generally take 3 Neurofen Plus to take the edge off the pain, drink a lot of water and just get to bed as quickly as I can to sleep it off. Ice packs or anything cold usually help too. Oh, and an eyemask as well.

Keeping a migraine diary can help to figure out what your triggers are. Basically over the course of a week or two, list what time you get up at, what you eat over the course of the day, your activities, whether you're exercising, whether you're under any particular stress and the amount of sleep that you get every night. Bit of a pain to do it but it should make it very clear what's causing the migraines.

Good luck, and hope you get it all sorted. It's a really horrible thing to have to go through; most people don't realise how debilitating they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

sueme wrote: »
    Dark chocolate, gravey and cheese? Anyone else find these are serious triggers?

Nope. Happily, as i like chocolate. :)

My triggers would be not enough/too much/irregular sleep, 'tired eyes' (best way i can explain that is if i keep reading/working at the computer when my eyes are telling me to stop), dehydration and long periods without eating.

Sometimes abrupt changes in weather will set me off, it's as if the changes in air pressure trigger them.

When i feel one starting i take immigran (sp? prescription migraine drug), drink lots of water and try and eat some toast or something else carb-y. Then hide in bed in a dark, quiet room until it passes.

The immigran does lessen the intensity and shortens the attacks, but one of the side effects for me is a 'tight' feeling in my chest so i'd only take it if i know i can lie down for the next few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I suffer from migraines. I had tried the pill you take when you feel one coming on, but I found if it's taken too late, it does nothing. There were rarely times I could take it at the proper moment, and the ones I had where €10 each (can't remember the name), so I found it useless.

I was then but on a beta blocker. The frequency of my migranes dramatically went down (only about 1 a month), and when I did get them they wouldn't be nearly as severe. I could just take two Nurofen, rest for 30 mins, can I could function again.

I'm off them now, as I'm also off all the birth control pills (I use a barrier method). Personally, I've found the following things to be tiggers:

1) Depo Provera birth control shots (also made me depressed)
    2) Estrogen and Progestorn birth control pills - even with the beta blocker I would suffer horrendous migranes
    3) Progestorn only pill - I'd only suffer if I wasn't on the Beta blocker
    4) Artficial Sweenters - saccharin, aspartme (aka Nutra Sweet) - even with beta blockers this is a big no no for me. Which means constantly checking food labels, as many products that also contain sugar or aren't labeled as light or diet products still contain them.
    5) Red Wine
    6) Oversleeping
    7) Grinding teeth (my parnter as told me I do this in my sleep sometimes!)
    But, the biggest of all.... stress! But I find I can get through the stressful time, it's afterwards when I start to wind down from it that they come on. Also, I need to make sure I eat at least 3 times a day, as low blood sugar levels also contributes to migranes.

Other triggers for some people include MSG (monosodium gultonate -many things like flavourings, Chinese food, pre-packaged food contain this), dark chocolate, cheese, and many more. Check out this site http://www.healthcentral.com/migraine/triggers-29502-5.html for ones that I haven't even thought of.

Good luck and I hope you find what works for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Well luckily enough for me i've always been healthy and still am apart from Migraine which I have just been diagnosed with. I am at my wits end having had one for 12 days. I've tried everything including two trips to the doc and yesterday at his suggestion A and E. I'd been vomiting and was dehydrated but still none the wiser. I'm on Imigran now which seems to be doing the job a but but am confined to bed, and have been out of work since last wed. Sorry about the rant but would appreciate any feedback.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

try accupuncture - i know it works for some of my friends, who suffered from chronic migranes for quite a number of years. Chinese herbs helped, and my friend hasn't had one for a number of years, after suffering from them at least once a month

Advertisement