Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting screwed on refund!

Options
  • 06-01-2008 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Several months ago I bought an acne lightbox from a website. It had a guarantee: "see a marked improvement or your money back." It said the lightbox takes 12 weeks to give you the results, yet the guarantee expires after 30 days. Anyway, in desperation I bought the lightbox. It has given me no improvement at all. Because more than 30 days has passed, they won't give me a refund. The lightbox was £215. Does anyone know if it is legal for them to not give me a refund, and if there is anything I can do about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

moved to consumer issues

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

AFAIK if the goods arent faulty then it's up to the stores policy whether they give a refund or not. Have you asked for a refund? I know you say the 30 day guarantee is up but I'm unsure whether you've actually asked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Several months ago I bought an acne lightbox from a website. It had a guarantee: "see a marked improvement or your money back." It said the lightbox takes 12 weeks to give you the results, yet the guarantee expires after 30 days. Anyway, in desperation I bought the lightbox. It has given me no improvement at all. Because more than 30 days has passed, they won't give me a refund. The lightbox was £215. Does anyone know if it is legal for them to not give me a refund, and if there is anything I can do about it?

30 days or not, it is not as described, i.e. see a marked improvement, although this may be subjective, who better to know if you seeing a marked improvement but you !

Oh, have you got it for more than 12 weeks ? it does say it needs 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Several months ago I bought an acne lightbox from a website. It had a guarantee: "see a marked improvement or your money back." It said the lightbox takes 12 weeks to give you the results, yet the guarantee expires after 30 days.

what is the point of a 30 day money back guarantee for a product that takes 12 weeks to work? in what way is it a guarantee?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's two different things. The 30 days are a warranty to cover faulty equipment. If it takes 90 days to see results the company should honour that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I would say that is false advertising right there, OP.

I'm a little rough on topics like this but I am reasonably sure that there are two guarantees on the product- one from the Manufacturer(no improvement in 12 weeks) and one from the retailer (30 days).

It is possible the Manufacturer has not informed (for whatever reason) their terms of accepting returns on the item. However, this is definitely, as they say in hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, S.E.P (someone elses problem).

I would mail the company back explaining what it says on the packaging, and that you will be shortly contacting the advertising standards authority on it, and see if there is moevement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I would think that you could claim that the product is not fit for the purpose intended and therefore claim a refund. I think it's the Sale of goods and supply of Services Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Did you read the terms. For example a website I found selling such a product states in their terms

"Our 30-day money back guarantee is only applicable to mainland UK.

If, within 30 days from receipt of the BeautySkin, the purchaser decides that they wish to return the unit, then the purchaser may request their money back (excluding delivery costs and 10% restocking charge).

For the monies to be refunded, the BeautySkin must have been received and found to be in good, re-saleable condition. Where the product is found to be damaged in any way, which is not consistent with the normal use of the BeautySkin then a refund cannot be given or a part refund will be agreed. It may be prudent for the purchaser to photograph the product before its return, thereby ensuring against dismissal of the claim for refund due to damage incurred in return transit. Please note: the BeautySkin needs to be returned in its original packaging due to possibility of damage within return transit.

We will offer a refund minus shipping costs and a 10% re-stocking charge. Total maximum amount refundable = £180.00.

Any refunds requested after 30 days from receipt of the BeautySkin will have to be declined through company policy. (The 30 day guarantee may be extended depending on circumstances)

Refunds will be refunded via the same means the initial transaction was completed within 14 days of receipt of the BeautySkin unit.

Contact us for return instructions. We cannot guarantee a refund if you do not follow our returns procedure.

warranty
    1 year full warranty on components and mouldings. The BeautySkin is guaranteed for all its parts for the term of 1 year. If any of the parts, whether electrical or material, are found to be faulty within a year then we are obliged to: a) Pick up the faulty ‘BeautySkin' and replace with another, at no extra cost to the customer. b) Pick up the faulty BeautySkin and refund the customer their money back, including delivery costs.

Replacement of a faulty ‘BeautySkin' will be within 10 days of our notification by the purchaser of their faulty ‘BeautySkin'.

If your BeautySkin acne lightbox develops problems (lamps not included) within 1 year of purchase, then please contact us for advice/replacement."

http://www.acne-advice.com/products/beautyskin/uk_eu.shtml

Advertisement