Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whirlpool washing machine won't drain

Options
  • 06-01-2008 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭

Have a problem with a Whirlpool AWG 349/4 washer/drier.
    spa0061qw9.jpg
    Yesterday, towards the end of a wash the machine started to beep, and an error code E-6 started to come up on the display, the machine had some water in it - up to the bottom of the door. I drained it using the drain hose on the front, and unscrewed the filter (?)
    spa0063an0.jpg
    from the front, there were 6 coins stuck in the part that i screwed out. I presume this is the only filter for the drain pump, but I'm not sure.
    spa0062vu1.jpg
    The pump can be turned by hand and there doesn't seem to be anything obstructing it.
    I obviously don't know what's wrong, the machine is 15 months old, I'm guessing that the problem is with the pump, but I don't think the coins could have actually physically obstructed the pump as the hole in the filter was small enough to stop the coins from coming though.

Any ideas? the manual doesn't give a list of error codes or their meaning. the coins looked like they were in there a long time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

colm_mcm wrote: »
    the hole in the filter was small enough to stop the coins from coming though.
    The coins were large enough to stop water passing through the hole in the filter. Put the machine back together and try it again. If it still dosn't drain, and you can hear the pump running, there may be another coin in the pipe between the drum and pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Removed the drain pump just now, there isn't any obstruction between the drum and the pump.
    spa0064on4.jpg
    The pump seems to be turning ok, but there seems to be fluid inside the casing where the rotor is turning. don't know if that's normal.
    spa0065ia2.jpg

spa0065gk5.jpg

Is there somewhere I can bring this pump to get checked, and get a new pump if required, or should I just call someone out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Hmmm, shouldn't be water in there.

Colm, there's an excellent online resource here: www.washerhelp.co.uk

Worth a shot asking on the whirlpool forum there about the error code, may fill in a blank or two, and the guy is somewhat of a guru when it comes to machines.

thanks. pulled the motor assembly apart and drained water.....

can't find somewhere to post specific questions on that site.

There are forums, give me a sec and I'll find a link...

edit: Sorry man, seems he doesn't answer tech queries any more :(

A google doesn't turn up error codes for it unfortunately, and I doubt they're in the manual. Some of the reviews make scary reading though.

Anyway, you'll probably find E 6 is "fail to drain" or something.

What I'd try before doing any more, is reassemble, and leave her plugged out for a while, that may reset the fault indicator, I'm just guessing...

I doubt the pump is damaged, they tend to be resilient enough tbh.

• Advertisement

I reassembled it there. will try it later. cant be bothered installing it again! feckin built-in appliances! surprised at how simple the drain pump is. I can't imagine it's broken either. if it had burnt out, I'd have noticed.

Despite the reviews, I've a built in whirlpool dishwasher, around the same vintage as that machine, and it has never given an ounce of bother.

The drain pumps are simple alright. With the exception of the top of the range stuff like Miele and Bosch, domestic appliances are built down to a cost, rather than up to a standard. Bit like cars ;)

The motor may have overload protection built into the controller, which prevents power being sent to the motor in the event of it jamming (in my house usually due to hair clips or miniature Bratz jewellery)... It may reset, along with the fault code, when the power is restored.

All this is only guesswork on my behalf, I'm afraid, but someone here will have a definitive answer I'm sure.

no problem, gonna run her on a drain cycle with the back cover taken off. if it is working, i wanna make sure there are no leaks from the inlet and outlet hoses joined to the pump.....

ok, on test run, seems to be working now....... no puddles in the kitchen..... water coming out waste pipe......

\o/

You'd be surprised, with the flared pipes, you don't need to overtighten the clips in question.

• Advertisement

they're only wire clamps, so tightness wasn't decided by me. time will tell!

Should be fine. Good to see you got it sorted anyway.

Did a marathon session of washing, and she's holding it together (the machine!)

Thanks for the help guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 keatinge

hi there i have a whirlpool dishwasher that has an f4 error code and doesent seem to be draining.the model num is adg 7195.i was wondering if you knew how easy it is to access thr drain in the machine?

Advertisement