Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting Granite Worktop?

Options
  • 06-01-2008 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I've to cut a granite worktop, simple straight cut to shorten it.
    Is this a job for the experts or has anyone tried it themselves?
    If so what did you use? angle grinder...or would it wreck the surface?

All advice apreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Experts for me. I think they use a high-pressure water jet in a lot of places. Talk to your local kitchen supplier, they'll know where to send you.

Edit/ you may be able to cut a small section with a diamond blade in a grinder but I'd seek advice before attempting this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 looby

Work for a granite company here in corofin and we have large CNC machines and often do this for people 093 41991 or www.graniteandmarble.ie best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Also depends on where the cut is showing. If its butting up against another piece of granite for instance it would have to be a perfect edge with no chips etc but if it was to be shortened and the cut piece is against a wall most of the time you will either be tiling or have a granite splashback so the cut would be hid. A small 4 inch angle grinder with a decent blade will do the trick. Try and cut it outside as it makes a lot of dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sculptor

A 4inch blade wont cut through standard 20mm worktop, you will have to cut it from top and bottom. Granite is hard and if you havnt done it before the blade will hop or bind, anyway a good granite blade will cost more than a yard should charge for a cut. If it has to be done in situ. hire a 9 inch grinder with blade and get a scrap to practise on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

U need a diamond tipped blade to cut granite plus lots of water, also if the cut side is going to be exposed it's gonna need to be polished.

• Advertisement
Advertisement