Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wow question on starting up

Options
  • 06-01-2008 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm downloaded the game dvd and regestered etc. Where do I go to to pick my character and class etc. brand new to all this.
    Also when I click on the WOW icon on my desktop its trying to download 871MB of an patch. WTF? that'll take a day on my connection? is this right?
    I've also got the expansion pack with it but I haven't loaded it. Does this matter? I want to start with the origional game first if it doesn't matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

It's probably worth loading up the burning crusade before you start, since it will give you more options: you can pick blood elf or draenei as races, and play a palidin as horde or a shaman as alliance.

It's a pain in the ass to do all the patching, I know. Once you've downloaded the big one, you're still not done, there's probably a couple of very small ones still to go.

The reason for this is that blizzard constantly make changes to the game, rebalancing powers for each class and adding more content, so in the long run it's worth it. You'll be able to sort out your race and class once you're patched up, it's very easy.

If you're picking your first character, it's worth doing some research here:
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Class

since there's nothing worse than putting 100 hours into a character just to find out there's another class you'd rather play.

I'd recommend Druid, Mage, Priest, or Warrior, but that's just my opinion.
    I levelled a hunter to 60 back in the day and then realised I was kind of bored by him. My priest was quality, though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Jesper wrote: »
    Hi I'm downloaded the game dvd and regestered etc. Where do I go to to pick my character and class etc. brand new to all this.
    Also when I click on the WOW icon on my desktop its trying to download 871MB of an patch. WTF? that'll take a day on my connection? is this right?
    I've also got the expansion pack with it but I haven't loaded it. Does this matter? I want to start with the origional game first if it doesn't matter?

after you start the game and login you will be prompted to choose a class when you select what server you want

Realm types:
    Normal is the standard realm with you against the environment or non player enemies (you can enter pvp combat as long as both players agree on a duel or turn on pvp status, in which case anyone can attack you) this is normally the realm with the most non game oriented chat. mostly childish crap from what i have observed, but sadly all other realms are prone to such behaviour to an extent

RP is a roleplaying realm, its is exactly like a normal realm except you are expected to stay in character when using the /say channel which is the default channel you use when speaking to people. by staying in character i mean you can choose a back story for your character and play that role out as that class would normaly be. for example if your paladin your a good person and wield power from holy spells. if you're a warlock you're more than likely not a good person per say as you wield the darkest of magics to destroy your enemies, although you can roleplay yourself as good if you like as its not written in stone which side a warlock is on.

On this realm you can't use retarded forms of communication like say rolfcopter or whatever some idiots like to say and the alliance and horde are at war. you are not friendly at all

PVP is a realm focused on player vs player combat. there are enemy npcs but the realm if 100% focused on player vs player action. Anyone can attack you if they want to and there's no setting to turn this off like on the other 2 realms

I play on an RP realm because there seems to be a lot less idiots and spam in the world channel. however i dont rp my characters, but i do respect other players if they try to rp with me, i tend to go along with the conversation but try to cut it short

I would highly recommend you install the expansion as it contains every patch up to last february (the release date of the expansion) so you have to download a hell of a lot less patches and it will also open two new starting races and paladin class for horde and shaman class for alliance, its also adds some extra quests but the bulk of the burning crusade is venturing through the famous dark portal and entering outland which will allow you to continue leveling from 60-70

As for recommending a class i can honestly recommend them all, i find all classes fun as they offer a different playstyle. as such i have a character for every class

I would recommend you stick with a class until at least lvl 20, as to give it a fair chance of whether or not you will eventually like it. there is an exception though if at an early level you just hate the playstyle and your not happy you should then try roling another class, although dont delete the last character unless you want to free up a character slot for another purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Jesper wrote: »
    Also when I click on the WOW icon on my desktop its trying to download 871MB of an patch.

That's the problem right there. You won't be able to start playing i.e. selecting realms, classes all that craic, until you are fully patched.

RE the expansion pack, yes you can play but you will only be able to level to 60, and won't be able to start a blood-elf or draenai character or go to Outlands plus a whole bunch of other stuff. That said, if you're only starting than I'd say you should wait before buying it - after all you may end up thinking the game is **** before you even reach a stage where the expansion content really matters. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Install the expansion pack first, before you start downloading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Definitely install the expansion. A lot of what you are currently downloading is in the expansion. You will still have a fair bit to download after installing the expansion however.

• Advertisement
Advertisement