Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dont buy slider turtles!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I had a red eared slider for 14 years, she was 16 when she died. I respected her privacy so did not have her sat on my lap, nor hold her for long periods of times.

Sliders are extremely rewarding to keep so long as you have the right equipment, and are prepared to put in the time. As with any subject, the key is the three R's. Read, Read, and Read some more. I did. If you have time, but dont want to cuddle the animal, then go ahead. But buy the biggest tank you can afford. And by biggest I mean three feet long and a foot and a half high an absolute minimum. You will get one dead cheap if you look around.

If you are thinking of getting a turtle, no matter what species, and you are reading this, then start asking questions or don't get one. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I have a tunisian spur thighed tortoise and she is the funniest animal I have ever met! Most of the time she thinks she's a dog and does whatever the dogs do! She follows them around, gets into their beds and even when you are giving the dogs some threats she is straight over like a light to get something for herself! She's crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I've been keeping sliders and other turtles for nearly 15yrs now and if you know what your getting yourself into then they are very rewarding pets, and just like most animals each one has a different personality.
    Don't write them off as bad pets just because people dont do their research. Yes they do get large, larger than most people expect but this is mainly becuase of the pet shops selling them who don't give out correct information and warn thier customers.

Advertisement