Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice Needed

• 06-01-2008 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be filling out my Cao form very soon, jut wondering if yee guys have any reccommended course i should be putting down to put me in the best possible position to be looked at favourably by the air corps etc

i know thers no specific course they look at, just looking at what you think i should put down?

at the mo, im thinkin mechanical engineering??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Well what do you want to do in the Air Corps?Pilot,Crewman,Engineer...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

If you have the aptitude (and the interest) for it, aeronautical engineering would be relevent, but not necessary. You would be much better off picking a course that interests you & which would be of benefit to you in civvy street. In the end the Air Corp pick cadets on the basis of how they perform in the interview process and not on what they did in college, I know a guy who did philosophy before going into the Air Corp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

eroo wrote: »
    Well what do you want to do in the Air Corps?Pilot,Crewman,Engineer...?

sorry, pilot!
    cushtac wrote: »
    If you have the aptitude (and the interest) for it, aeronautical engineering would be relevent, but not necessary. You would be much better off picking a course that interests you & which would be of benefit to you in civvy street. In the end the Air Corp pick cadets on the basis of how they perform in the interview process and not on what they did in college, I know a guy who did philosophy before going into the Air Corp.

the aeronautical engineering is in limerick, id prefer to stay as close to Dublin as possible to study!!

really? ive been told courses such as mechanical engineering ect will be useful, but i think i wont find it very interesting and enjoy it too much with the high amount of maths n all the course entails!!!!:eek:

dont really have much else in mind apart from that! any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

Generally a degree that somehow relates to the job your shooting for is what you should be looking at. Now since your shooting for a pilot engineering of some description would seem to be the obvious choice. However if you won't enjoy it or like it I would not pick it. It is not for the faint hearted it has one of the highest work loads of any course.

If you haven't already, go down to the library and have a look for the Air Pilot's Manuals by Trevor Thom. They'll give you an idea of what sort of stuff is involved in the training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

If you want to be a pilot,try and get some flying lessons in mate!THEN,if you wanted to get a degree but I'd say you should just get enough flying lessons and then apply.Any particular interest..i.e.helicopters or planes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Tribunius wrote: »
    Generally a degree that somehow relates to the job your shooting for is what you should be looking at. Now since your shooting for a pilot engineering of some description would seem to be the obvious choice. However if you won't enjoy it or like it I would not pick it. It is not for the faint hearted it has one of the highest work loads of any course.

thats a slight problem, i dont particularly find the idea of tonnes of maths and general engineering very interesting, thats why i have a slight doubt:(
    cushtac wrote: »
    If you haven't already, go down to the library and have a look for the Air Pilot's Manuals by Trevor Thom. They'll give you an idea of what sort of stuff is involved in the training.

cheers, what training to be exact?
    eroo wrote: »
    If you want to be a pilot,try and get some flying lessons in mate!THEN,if you wanted to get a degree but I'd say you should just get enough flying lessons and then apply.Any particular interest..i.e.helicopters or planes?

got a hour at weston as a present for christmas. found out they arent taking anyone on this year so taking a yaer out just flying isnt an option, and its rather expensive!!!!!!!

SRFC90 wrote: »
    cheers, what training to be exact?

The theory, the physics, the controls etc. There's a fair amount of technical learning involved.

Advertisement