Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Avensis Vs Ford Mondeo

Options
  • 07-01-2008 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

hi there folks,just looking to get ur opinions on my next motor. currently driving a 04 toyota corolla estate 1.6 petrol, love it,despite it looking like a hearse!!

have been in both a toyota avensis & ford mondeo for work,really tempted by both. thinking off going 4 diesel engine,both come in 2.0 litre so cant decide,thinking off changing sometime this year,so prob going 4 a 05 or 06 model. mate of mine drives a 1.4 diesel corolla says the fuel economy is amazing! not sure how the 2.0 litre would compare. have heard that the 2.0 ltr diesel mondeo is some car to shift!!

so what do u think????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

on the Avensis, the 06 125bhp minor change model with 6 speed gearbox is the one to go for, more power and better economy.
    On the Mondeo, aim for a 130bhp.
    that's if you're looking for power of course!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I went looking for mondeos originally, in the end I picked up a diesel avensis and am very happy with it. Feels a lot better put together. Less fleety if you know what I mean. Great fuel economy too, and it's not like you're getting left at the lights either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The avensis is pushing on a bit now though and on the "fleety" thing, there are defineatly way more avensis' on fleet than mondeos.Mondeo looks more modern as well IMO.The resale would prob be better on the ford bcos there are far less of them around

Zonda999 wrote: »
    The avensis is pushing on a bit now though and on the "fleety" thing, there are defineatly way more avensis' on fleet than mondeos.Mondeo looks more modern as well IMO.The resale would prob be better on the ford bcos there are far less of them around

this would be 05 and 06 as in old model Mondeo which makes everything the opposite of what you say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The Avensis is a better car than the Mk3 Mondeo IMO. As for the Mk4 Mondeo(i.e. the new one) it is supposed to be a fantastic car, so that is probably the better choice there.

• Advertisement

But the OP is looking at 05 and 06 cars, the new Mondeo didn't go on sale till 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP don't just limit yourself to the Avensis and Mondeo, a Mazda 6 diesel of similar year is a very good car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

E92 wrote: »
    The Avensis is a better car than the Mk3 Mondeo IMO. As for the Mk4 Mondeo(i.e. the new one) it is supposed to be a fantastic car, so that is probably the better choice there.

99.9% of motoring scribes wouldn't agree...

I think the Avensis would hold it's money better long term. A lot of people still think Ford make bad cars (presumably the same ones who think VW still make good ones!)

Re. bazz's suggestion - the Mazda 6 is the best of both worlds - Mondeo-like hadlling/driving dynamics and Japanese reputation for reliability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 hopchop

There are far more Mondeos around then Avensis, are you mad or what, alot of companies who give there employees cars, the majority of the time these cars are Mondeos!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The Avensis is the most sold family saloon by a country mile, in 2003-2005 they sold in excess of 6,000 of them per year(in 20005 it was 8,800), the Mondeo only sells 3,500 per year(which is the second biggest seller), so where did you get the idea that the Toyota doesn't sell well:confused:? Also the Avensis, and it's predecessor the Carina E have been Ireland's biggest seller for 16 of the past 17 years in that category of car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Mondeo is a far far superior car to drive. It's reliable, well put together, and is good value used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

Mondeo all the way. Ran two of them to big mileages. Far superior to the 05 ' A4 & 07' Passat that suceeded them(I did'nt have a choice - company cars).Do'nt know too much about the avensis but I heard that the first of the current shape gave trouble. I still reckon my 03' mondeo zetec was the finest car , I've been lucky enough to own. I only changed because I got a job with a company car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I ran a current shape 2003 Avensis for 167k miles and only had 1 or 2 niggly things with it within the first two years which were fixed under warranty. Excellent car from my experience, my father has it now and it is still going strong. The main issues with the 2003 - 2004 Avensis were with the headlights and steering rack. Both issues were recalled and sorted under warranty.

Looked at the 2001 to 2007 Mondeo and had a few as rentals, while it handles better I found it lacking in other areas especially comfort on long journeys, also found the interior wasn't that nice a place to be in and you had to buy the Zetec or higher model to get a decent engine. In the end I choose a high spec Focus instead as it addressed most of the above gripes.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭heffomike54

yeah was thinking of a mazda either, lad in work is going to give me a spin in his soon,so i will let u know what i think of it.

Advertisement