Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bird box - a few Q's

• 07-01-2008 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I got a bird box for Christmas and I'm going to put it up on the back wall of my garden near where I saw lots of blue tits last spring.

I'm just wondering.. the box I got doesnt have a hinge, so are there general rules about having a look into the box to see if its been "occupied"?

Also, without getting a camera (Has anyone here done this?) is it a case of waiting until May and opening it up to see whats left?? i.e. should I avoid looking into the hole at any stage?

I'm a bit of an amateur but hopefully I'll have some visitors in the box for a few weeks in February!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Factsheets from Birdwatch Ireland well worth a read (guidance on siting etc):
    http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Default.aspx?tabid=386

Don't know of any rules but I would leave it alone if you think it is in use. If you unscrew the lid and mum is sitting on eggs, she might cut her losses and abandon that site to try nest somewhere else. If in use it will be obvious enough: nest material, food being brought in, squeaks, droppings etc. Also should be obvious when chicks fledge (leave the nest).

Also, there may be multiple broods...two or even three for some species...so could be in use until end of Summer...if you are lucky!

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Excellent!, thanks a lot for the info. I'm thinking of getting a camera too. Fingers crossed anyway... I live in a housing estate but its not in the city. I've seen a good bit of activity in the garden in the springtime so I might be lucky. I can get a camera on the net for around 50 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A hinge on a nets box is to facilitate cleaning after the breeding season. It's never a good idea to open the lid when the box is in use!! Watch the parents bringing food. Watch for the young fledging. Install a camera. But don't peak inside.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a friend of mine works in a seomra type office, and there was a blue tit nest in a chinese style lantern hanging out the front, despite the fact that the office was in use for standard working hours. so they didn't seem to mind human movement around, but i imagine poking at the nest would have been less welcome.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

As previously said you will know if its inhabited, a pair of binoculors would be handy. As soon as you think a bird is nesting in it go into the garden often and be weeding etc so that the bird/s will become accustomed to you being around. I wouldn't advise you to interfere with the box as birds will leave if they feel threatened.

It's a pity cos all we want to do is have a peek.:(

Saw the most wonderful thing last year a swallow nest on a timber beam in an old garage and there was two swallows with about 4 young in it, and you could see them clearly it was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I've had the next box up for a couple of days now and there doesnt seem to be much interest in it!

Is there anything I can do to attract a new tenant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Trotter wrote: »
    I've had the next box up for a couple of days now and there doesnt seem to be much interest in it!

The nest box could get some interest in a few days or it could sit there and not get noticed until next year. If it is in a good spot, then it is a waiting game. Plenty of time for birds to check it out over the coming months, and a lot of species will check out many possible spots to build a nest, with the males lining a number of spots before the female finally chooses one.

I would not go near it much, just leave it be, and with any luck you will be reporting back here in time with news of tenants in the box.

I have a few nest boxes up and only one has gotten any interest so far this year, although two of them have been used as roosting boxes by a number of wrens during the cold weather.

Last year I had a pair of robins in my open fronted box, and also had a pair of blue tits using one of the nest boxes. The third box (a multi roomed box)draws house sparrows each year.

A word of advice to anyone who wants to put up more than one nesting box. Only place one of each type of box up, and never place them near the feeding area, as most birds defend the area about their boxes.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Trotter wrote: »

It's early yet, give it time....;)

Advertisement