Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat Coupe

• 07-01-2008 1:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭

I can't believe this hasn't come up here before. (or maybe it has?) sort of CLS type 4 door coupe for the masses (-ish)

car_photo_224599_7.jpg(photo based on spyshots)

it has been spotted quite a lot recently. set to be a bit pricier than the regilar Passat, with better interior. should be at the Geneva show in March

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

my definition of a coupe is a 2 door saloon,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

An upmarket Passat. Probably end up being another success story like the Phaeton. :p

Put an Audi badge on it and it might gain more kudos.

I kinda like it. should be a hit. VW are very clever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

colm_mcm wrote: »
    my definition of a coupe is a 2 door saloon,

I thought was the definition!!

Not too fond of it myself...very mercedes.

cls061.jpg

• Advertisement

Seperate wrote: »

nope, apparently a very loose term as it dates back horse drawn carraiges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I saw spy shots of it recently and they were testing it with a CLS so obviously this was their aim. Should cost about half the price of one though.

good ol' Auto Express!

it's wanna be a good bit less than half the price of a CLS to make me want one ( 86-150k ) given that the base model will be 1.4 , it wouldn't wanna be hugely more expensive than the common Passat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Seperate wrote: »

Not too fond of it myself...very mercedes.

cls061.jpg

I always thought of this as the one that conformed to their ethos the least.

When my ship comes in, lads, you'll know you're old friend cantdecide by the silver CLS55 AMG with a maniacal grin on the drivers mush!!

Passat is ok.

TBH I'm not crazy about the CLS, I love the way it looks, but we had a CLS500 at work, and I was expecing more from the interior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

cantdecide wrote: »
    I always thought of this as the one that conformed to their ethos the least.

When my ship comes in, lads, you'll know you're old friend cantdecide by the silver CLS55 AMG with a maniacal grin on the drivers mush!!

Passat is ok.

Thats a 63 ;)*

*Well, i typred S63 AMG into google and got the pic from there. There's always one in the carpark i work...thats what the passat reminded me of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Whats the point of this car?
    The passat has always been a family/rep 4 door, 5 seater comfy saloon.
    This looks like it will just have less headroom in the rear.
    Will they go with 2 seperate seats in the rear???
    I can see it costing 38k up to 50k

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Whats the point of this car?
    The passat has always been a family/rep 4 door, 5 seater comfy saloon.
    This looks like it will just have less headroom in the rear.
    Will they go with 2 seperate seats in the rear???
    I can see it costing 38k up to 50k

what's the point of an A4? they still sell despite being smaller and more expensive than a Passat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

what's the point of an A4? they still sell despite being smaller and more expensive than a Passat.

How is that relevant? :confused:

it's relevant in that it demonstrates that despite being smaller and more expensive than a Passat, it still sells well. For the same reasons, the Passat Coupe will sell, even if it is overpriced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I see your point. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

it's relevant in that it demonstrates that despite being smaller and more expensive than a Passat, it still sells well. For the same reasons, the Passat Coupe will sell, even if it is overpriced.

Its like comparing champagne to sparkling wine:D
    The A4 is the luxury 4 door saloon offering from VAG (the champagne), the Passat is the Everymans 4 door saloon offering from VAG (the sparkling wine).
    If it were a proper 2 door sexy coupe i woulld understand....but its a clumsy overweight 4 DOOR SALOON :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Official pics....Not too bad I suppose
    527e997c5c4c7b9fb3298bewf5.jpg

bigvwpassatcc00st4ss0.jpg

bigvwpassatcc02dw2ii2.jpg

passatcc15aba0cb3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Meh. I'll wait for the Octavia Coupe, the boot should be hugenormous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

It actually looks alright, but as a revision of the existing saloon, as it's not a proper coupe.

CLS is one of the ugliest cars I've ever seen. Looks like it melted in the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Why do VW keep trying to push their cars more and more upmarket? Isn't that what Audi is for:confused:?

Base engine is meant to be a 170 bhp TSI 1.4.

a bit like a modern day Mazda 323f (!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Stekelly wrote: »
    Meh. I'll wait for the Octavia Coupe, the boot should be hugenormous.

Rofflers! :D

The official pics look very Mondeo, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

E92 wrote: »
    Why do VW keep trying to push their cars more and more upmarket? Isn't that what Audi is for:confused:?

Why do BMW keep trying to push their cars more and more downmarket? Ie.. 1 series!
    They all want to sell cars I guess! I'm not the biggest VW fan, but I actually like this! I'm amazed, I feel like I've sold out or something... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Coupe my backside! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭fabsoul

JHMEG wrote: »
    2 doors too many!
    [/url]

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Biro wrote: »
    Why do BMW keep trying to push their cars more and more downmarket? Ie.. 1 series!

In the current climate with CO2 being all the rage, BMW certainly aren't going to give up on selling this type of car, and neither are Merc with the A-class.

Models like the 1 series would lower the average CO2 emissions from BMW, the company offers no less than 22 different models that pollute less than 140 g/km of CO2, 2 are 1 series Coupés(diesels), and 10 are 1 series hatchbacks(116i, 118i, 118d, 120d and 123d), so over half their models that are under this 140 g/km cutoff are 1 series cars, so you can see where I am coming from in this regard.

In saying all that I do agree with you that it does reduce the premium badge idea of a BMW.

I don't like the 1 series, and I certainly don't like the way they are trying to find niches that don't exist a la the new X1, X6, and "Progressive Activity Sedan" either. I wish they would go back and concentrate on cars like the 3,5 and 7 series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

In the current climate with CO2 being all the rage, BMW certainly aren't going to give up on selling this type of car, and neither are Merc with the A-class.

Models like the 1 series would lower the average CO2 emissions from BMW, the company offers no less than 22 different models that pollute less than 140 g/km of CO2, 2 are 1 series Coupés(diesels), and 10 are 1 series hatchbacks(116i, 118i, 118d, 120d and 123d), so over half their models that are under this 140 g/km cutoff are 1 series cars, so you can see where I am coming from in this regard.

In saying all that I do agree with you that it does reduce the premium badge idea of a BMW.

I don't like the 1 series, and I certainly don't like the way they are trying to find niches that don't exist a la the new X1, X6, and "Progressive Activity Sedan" either. I wish they would go back and concentrate on cars like the 3,5 and 7 series.

Ya, what's with all the X's? You're right, the 3, 5 and 7 are their core cars, they should concentrate on those. The 7-series seems to have been lacking somewhat when compared to the S-class in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Why shouldn't VW look to sell upmarket cars. Afterall there is more money to be had from high end, equipment laden cars than from poverty spec. base models.

Nice to see mainstream manufacturers producing tasty cars and showing those snobs at the premium brands how to make good cars.

Over the last few years Merc have been slated in the motoring press for the use of poor materials and unsatisfactory reliability. BMW hadn't been much better. Just look at any current BMW dash board. Uninspiring and bland are the nicest things that could be said for them.

I met a bloke on holidays last year who got rid of an 03 E Class for a new Passat Highline 170 BHP TDI with DSG box and reconned it was the best thing he ever did.

Advertisement