Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dermalogica

• 07-01-2008 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

I have extremely sensitised skin, and used dermalogica's range for that condition, the ultracalming cleanser, soothing protection spray, etc, which help. However around my chin and the sides of my face I have acne. My skin is very very dry though, not oily at all. My local beautician said I should switch to the special cleansing gel to help with the spots. I tried the special cleansing gel sample though and it dried out my skin and made the redness much worse. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I should use the ultracalming range but put something like the medicated clearing gel on the spotty areas overnight? But now they also have a new one, the medibac overnight clearing gel. I haven't tried that one. Does anyone know which is better?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I have extremely sensitised skin, and used dermalogica's range for that condition, the ultracalming cleanser, soothing protection spray, etc, which help. However around my chin and the sides of my face I have acne. My skin is very very dry though, not oily at all. My local beautician said I should switch to the special cleansing gel to help with the spots. I tried the special cleansing gel sample though and it dried out my skin and made the redness much worse. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I should use the ultracalming range but put something like the medicated clearing gel on the spotty areas overnight? But now they also have a new one, the medibac overnight clearing gel. I haven't tried that one. Does anyone know which is better?

It sounds as though we have the same skin type. I've used the clearing gel and while it has killed off the spots it has left the skin around the area very dry. Once this happens I use the Gentle Cream Exfoliant followed by the Skin Hydrating Mask. Then I apply the Clarins Day Cream as it is a heavier moisturiser than the Skin Smoothing Cream I usually use. If you do this and apply the heavier mosituriser for a day or two it should sort the problem out for you.
    Re: the bigger problem of the spots themselves, have you thought about a microdermabrasion? When my beautician first suggested this I thought she was nuts but she said that it would unclog the deeper layers of skin and act as a decongestant and clear the skin up. I have two such treatments and while your face is red and pretty sore for a day or so afterward (you won't be going out after it) it really does work and plumps up the skin and once the redness has faded your skin looks and feels great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I tried microdermabrasion once, never again! The beautician was awful, she scratched my face so much it bled and I got scabs.

btw which clearing gel did you use, the medicated or the medibac?

I tried microdermabrasion once, never again! The beautician was awful, she scratched my face so much it bled and I got scabs.

:eek::eek: that sounds awful. Mine was like a walk in the park in comparison.
    I use the Special Clearing Gel, it comes in a very small bottle and I put just a tiny bit onto the spot when I get it. On a daily basis this is what I use:
    Ultra Calming Cleanser (use this twice), the Gentle Eye Makeup Remover, Barrier Repair Gel, Multivitamin Eye and Lip Cream and then finish off with the Skin Smooth Cream. For very dry days I use the Skin Hydrating Booster. Once a week I use the exfoliant etc as I described earlier.

So you use the barrier repair and skin smoothing cream? Do you swap them around, or do you not use the barrier repair as a moisturiser?

Is the multivitamin eye and lip cream better than the total eye care cream? Do you find you can wear makeup over the barrier repair, and do you use the barrier repair at night? I find it can take a while to sink in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

basically got the same problem - I use the ultracalming cleanser, followed by the toner for sensitized skin, the medicated clearing gel on spots, and moisture balance on the rest of the face - and every couple of weeks I use the microfoilant scrub...

(by the way, just in case you didn't know, it's a lot cheaper to buy the stuff online than in shops here...strawberrynet.com, for example.)

Yeah I get mine discounted in bulk on ebay. I wish dermalogica would make a product for people with spotty dry sensitive skin. As a big company they should know that you don't have to have teenage greasy skin to get acne and create an appropriate product!

Do you find anything makes your sensitivity worse? I notice if I eat citrus fruit, my face flushes hot and red immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

How much do the products tend to be?

I've been advised to get one or two of their items, but I'm a bit skint after Christmas so need to budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

Hi Stormwarrior. I think we have the same skin type. My skin is mega, MEGA dry (esp. the sides of my face) but I have tiny milia under the skin in this area and on my neck (ironically not due to oil but because my skin is so very dry that the moisturiser I was using couldn't even be absorbed). Have you had a Dermalogica facial? I got one last month and she did the face mapping prescription thing....basically I now have a sheet telling me the problems of various areas of my face and a list of all the products recommended for my specific skin type based on all the areas and how they differ in condition. Basically my point is, if you can afford it, go in for a facial and have them do the face mapping...to point you in the right direction product wise. Hope this helps!

I had one with my old beautician, who was very good. It was her who recommended the ultracalming range. Sadly she has now left and the new girl isn't very good. She gave me another face mapping and then recommended the special cleansing gel and told me to use a light moisturiser, even though I told her this makes my face red and dry. She just says: "You're too young for the ultracalming range and too young for a rich moisturiser!" (I am 25 this year). I don't want any more of her recommendations and there is no other dermalogica beautician within an hour's drive of me.
    Amz wrote: »
    How much do the products tend to be?

I've been advised to get one or two of their items, but I'm a bit skint after Christmas so need to budget!

Look on ebay.

• Advertisement

I had one with my old beautician, who was very good. It was her who recommended the ultracalming range. Sadly she has now left and the new girl isn't very good. She gave me another face mapping and then recommended the special cleansing gel and told me to use a light moisturiser, even though I told her this makes my face red and dry. She just says: "You're too young for the ultracalming range and too young for a rich moisturiser!" (I am 25 this year). I don't want any more of her recommendations and there is no other dermalogica beautician within an hour's drive of me.

Look on ebay.

Where do you live? I've had a dermalogica facial in a few different places so may be able to recommend one to you.
    Re: my regime, I use the barrier repair just on my cheeks and put the moisturiser over it. The girl I go to told me that it was to act as a protection against broken veins from the wind etc. I find it very good and only use it in the morning. The Multivitamin is better than the Total Eye, I find it more nourishing. Generally I put both of those on after cleansing and leave them to soak in while I brush my teeth and tie up my hair then put the Skin Smoothing Cream on, get dressed and then everything is perfectly soaked in and ready for me to put my make up on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Ive used the medicated clearing gel for a good while and found it great, not sure about the new one you mentioned, I have been back to the usual place as the girl I had last time kept saying mossturizer instaed of moisturiser and spent the whole time selling me stuff from every range in the shop...(if youre in the west Ill pm you and tell you where she is)..Slightly off topic but I'd warn you off the pre-cleanse stuff from Dermalogica..it's very harsh even tho not advertised a s such but be careful if offered it

I live in the UK. I used to use precleanse and it was fine for me, although I have switched to using olive oil as a makeup remover as it's cheap and works brilliantly.

Why do you use skin smoothing cream as well as the barrier repair? And do you think barrier repair is too much to use at night?

I live in the UK. I used to use precleanse and it was fine for me, although I have switched to using olive oil as a makeup remover as it's cheap and works brilliantly.

Why do you use skin smoothing cream as well as the barrier repair? And do you think barrier repair is too much to use at night?[/QUOTE]

Because the barrier repair isn't meant to be used as a moisturiser:confused: You are only meant to use to as a barrier to the elements e.g. wind etc and so don't need to use it at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

ketsugo. Its not too expensive and it works. I apply morning and night under moisturoisers and make up

kizzyr wrote: »

Why do you use skin smoothing cream as well as the barrier repair? And do you think barrier repair is too much to use at night?[/QUOTE]

Because the barrier repair isn't meant to be used as a moisturiser:confused: You are only meant to use to as a barrier to the elements e.g. wind etc and so don't need to use it at night.

I just checked wit the salon, they said you can put barrier repair on before bed as it is a moisturiser. It does say use twice daily on the packet as well.

kizzyr wrote: »

I just checked wit the salon, they said you can put barrier repair on before bed as it is a moisturiser. It does say use twice daily on the packet as well.

It really does go to show how people can be told to do different things with the same product doesn't it:confused: Never in a million years would I think that barrier repair was a full on moisturiser and it certainly wouldn't suit my skin as one either. Maybe you could give my routine a go for a while and see how it works out for you.

So you don't use barrier repair before bed at all, even under moisturiser? Do you use barrier repair in all weather, even mild or hot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 kitt13

Have you tried reading the reviews at Makeupalley.com? I usually research any new and pricier beauty product purchases on there. Since it is strictly consumer reviews once you find the product you can further refine your search by age group. A very helpful site overall.

So you don't use barrier repair before bed at all, even under moisturiser? Do you use barrier repair in all weather, even mild or hot?

I use it every single morning no matter what the weather is like. I have to say, even though it would appear I'm using it rather oddly, I wouldn't change my method. The skin on my cheeks used to get rather burned from the wind, rain etc and since I've been using this it hasn't happened.

• Advertisement
Advertisement