Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moyross, where did it begin

Options
  • 07-01-2008 2:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi guys wondering if people can help me a little here. My other half is doing her dissertation on the regeneration of Moyross but is finding it hard to find history on the History of Moyross itself.

If anyone can shed any info they have themselves or where she could get detailed info on when it was built and why it was build etc etc, It would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Briman.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Maybe drive in there and ask one of the locals?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

That is very nice finbank but unless you can elaborate on which local people in moyross would have such information then your response isn't very helpful.

to the OP my advice would be to contact the likes of the Limerick Leader and Limerick post, maybe even go through their archives.

You could also try contacting the northern regeneration board. The Department of the environment would be able to provide you with contact information on this body.It might also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Contact the Parish Preist and the headmistress of the local primary school, and maybe the head of Nessan's too. Even if they can't tell you much themselves, they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

I know at least one person who's lived in Moyross for over 30 years, so the suggestion of asking the locals is a good one too, unless you buy the myth every one of them is a dangerous killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Moyross (Maigh Rois in Irish) Estate was developed between 1973–1987 in Limerick City & County, Ireland. It comprises 1,160 houses which are divided into 12 parks. Although the population has decreased in recent years it still stands in excess of 4,000 people, 50% of which are under the age of 24. It is the largest housing estate in Limerick City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moyross

a lttle bit of info there .....

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

Thanks guys for the reply s i'll get herself to contact who ye recommended, Hobie, thanks for the link on wikipedia think she all ready had that though. To anyone else if they have any other ideas or information please add.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Offensive comment by Lazers Pew Pew removed.
    Cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Lazers pew pew

i'm from Delmege park bud
    if you cant laugh at yourself etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I know you're trying to be funny, but that comment was offensive.
    If Squid got here before me, you'd have been banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭phog

You could also try contacting Limerick Youth Service - they have been involved there for a long while. The Sisters of Mercy also have a house out there for 20-30 years.

If you could a few names of locals that have been involved in projects/clubs in the area you might get a decent overview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Mr E wrote: »
    I know you're trying to be funny, but that comment was offensive.
    If Squid got here before me, you'd have been banned.

That's true .... Squid takes no prisoners ..... :p

(that's an old saying isn't it .... :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭donaghs

Don't local authorities like Councils plan and build, and maintain council estates?

They'll have all the info you need to begin; if they'll give any to you. After that the local and national newspapers would be great for news on the "progress" of the development over the years.

Advertisement