Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid holidays for employees

Options
  • 07-01-2008 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am hiring a .NET developer and as my company is pretty young, he will be my first employee.
    I want to propose an attracting package including an extended amount of paid holidays as I do not want the guy to fly over to the competitors after 3 months.

The guy is new in Ireland, not even set up yet.

The question is, what is the minimum paid holidays he is entitled to, and is there a maximum?
    I believe usually this is around 22 day?

If so I would like to give like 25-26. Is it possible?

Not that I want to be a stupid employer and manager, I want the guys to feel good working in my company and hopefully they will give it back with customer's satisfaction.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Cool thanks buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

mick.fr wrote: »
    I believe usually this is around 22 day?

If so I would like to give like 25-26. Is it possible?

I think for IT type jobs the norm is 20 days
    (there are also bank holidays)

In my experience 25 - 26 days are reserved for more senior employees ... but good on you for giving that many :)
    (as he's foreign ... you said he was just getting set up here .. the extra days will definitely mean he's happier and has to take that into consideration when looking at other jobs here. One problem more foreigners here experience with holidays are that you have to travel 1 day to get home and 1 day to get back .. but you no doubt know that as you're french? Having to take that time means each time you want to go home you lose a LOT of your holidays)

Other things you could do might be to have a half day friday

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

forbairt wrote:
    I think for IT type jobs the norm is 20 days

I don't believe IT jobs are any different from other jobs (excepting teaching related).

Trojan wrote: »
    I don't believe IT jobs are any different from other jobs (excepting teaching related).

I said IT ... as that is the main area I have experience with :)

My wife for example is offered "well days" For every month they aren't sick they get part of a day as holidays

So their base 20 days (I think its 20 they have) shoots up a small bit based on that.

As you have said ... teaching is different. Retail is possibley different ? (working sundays for example can mean overtime ... or in some cases extra time off ... similar to bank holidays)

• Advertisement

Yeah I am French and the guy too.
    The main goal is also to have an attractive package as I can't find anybody on the local market although the need is huge for .NET developers and I want to keep those guys.

Especially this one, is coming from EPITA (http://www.epita.fr/), certainly the most successful IT engineering school in France.
    When they go out of this school after 5 years, they have an incredible knowledge already, not just academic. Plus this guy has 3 years experience.

Well the irish salary compared to the french one is a definite plus ...

The extra holidays will be hard to beat here as well :) and as you know it makes all the difference for going back home. In the past when we've headed to france we've lost so much time .. the Galway Lorient direct route is so cool for us though :)

Now you just have to offer him a 35 hour working week ...

(oh and make sure he joins a union :D .. joke)

forbairt wrote: »
    Now you just have to offer him a 35 hour working week ...

(oh and make sure he joins a union :D .. joke)

Yep in his dreams lol
    70 at least

Advertisement