Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric or Gas Wet Central Heating System.

Options
  • 07-01-2008 3:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi,

I am about to start retrofitting my 80sqm to a wet central heating system, all the storage heaters bar one were shot after the twenty years they had been here.

I have Gas available to me and approval from the managment company to connect but one surfing the web tonight i came across electric wet central heating, does anyone have any experience of this and the cost when compared to Gas fired central heating. I have night rate electricity available.

http://www.dealec.co.uk/acatalog/dimplex_ascari_central_heating_boiler.html

It would make for a much simplier install as well as cheaper as the road, side of building etc would not have be dug up for a connection to the gas mains, also there is no requirment for annual servicing of the boiler.

Any opinions or people with experience of this i would like to hear from you ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If you don't use the heat a lot, or only used the apartment during the day it might work. If the apartment is cool in the evenings, I think it would be very expensive, because switching it on during the day would mean you would be paying for full-rate electricity. Really, I would consider replacing the storage heaters before I would do this. But I am no expert and have no experience of the electrical solution (although I do know that a similar-sounding solution was tried by ESB in a small number of poorly insulated houses in Ballyfermot 30 or 40 years ago and it did not work out very well and had to be pulled out - bills went sky-high)

You can compare the cost of a kilowatt hour of electricity at peak times to the price of a KwH of gas, and that will show you the price difference.

You need to look at all your standing charges as well. Bringing in gas will result in a new standing charge for you.

worth looking at

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055091142&referrerid=59211

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭hopalong_ie

Hi,

I am considering the outlay of the Gas vs the Electric boiler.

Gas Boiler: 1-1.5k
    Connection: 600
    New Immersion: 600

Electric Boiler: 1K

I am seriously thinking of the electric boiler, the comming in at over two thousand min less than the Gas as i can keep the existing night immersion, there is no connection to the bord gáis network, no monthly charge for connection to the network, or external works required.

All this means i would be 1 - 1.5k ahead before i actually bought a unit of Gas. The apartment is a Gold Start abit from 20 years ago but has been brought up to current regs re insulation.

On the other side running it during peak hours cost twice per unit what gas does and the same off peak once you factor in the Bórd Gáis standing charge.

Any advice, after three days i'm no closer to deciding

Advertisement