Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where to begin?

Options
  • 07-01-2008 3:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been answered before or if it comes across as a dumb question (which it no doubt will) but I've decided I'd like to learn how to drive and I haven't a clue how to begin this bold quest.

Is there a rulebook I'm supposed to go out and buy? Information would be appreciated. Also please don't laugh at my stupidity as I regard it a disability. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

you need to do a theory test first. there's a rules of the road manual in a stickied thread in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

If you want to go the rules/licenses/limits/boring route, you need to do a theory test , apply for a provisional, get an eye test blah blah blah,
    Or you need a mate with a jeep and a field, or a mate with a car and dollymount. Or a tractor and a road (go figure).
    Once you've that stuff sorted, It's like fallin off a chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

If you want to go the rules/licenses/limits/boring route, you need to do a theory test , apply for a provisional, get an eye test blah blah blah,
    Or you need a mate with a jeep and a field, or a mate with a car and dollymount. Or a tractor and a road (go figure).

So turning up at the Motor Tax office saying "I have a mate with a Jeep and a field - I milled around a bit in it. Give me my full licence" negates the need to do the theory test, eye test, apply for a learner permit and sit the driving test? Wow, that advice should be stickied! :rolleyes:

OP, start off by applying for your theory test here: http://www.dtts.ie/
    You'll need to study the Rules of the Road in order to prepare for it (but it's pretty simple). The Rules of the Road can be found online or in bookshops. There was also a copy delivered to houses by the RSA last year, but I'm not sure if everyone got one. There are CDs you can buy that allow you to do mock theory test on your PC - most bookshops should have them if that interests you.

Once you pass this, you'll need to do an eye test (any optician will do it - tell them it's for a driving licence) and apply for your Learner Permit. Forms are available in Garda stations and Motor Tax Offices.

Once you have that, get some lessons, and when you're ready, apply for the test...

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

AngryHippie - if you've nothing constructive to add please stay away from this Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

but I've decided I'd like to learn how to drive :o

my bad, forgot about the licensing issue :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement