Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vga/dvi

Options
  • 07-01-2008 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have a laptop that only has a VGA output for a monitor. I bought a dell 24" 2407 monitor recently and am using it with the VGA cable..

Can I upgrade my laptop video card to one with a DVI card? or is there anything external I can use?

my graphics cards ia NVIDIA Geoforce Go6100

any help appreciated,

thanks,

Mac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Laptops graphics card are usually pretty non - upgradeable..

So i'd safely say no you can't upgrade to dvi as even if you can upgrade the card you'd have to hack a hole in the side for the connector

Are you having display problems with the vga as it should still work fine

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

Maybe something like this could work ?

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1435

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Terrlock wrote: »
    Laptops graphics card are usually pretty non - upgradeable..

So i'd safely say no you can't upgrade to dvi as even if you can upgrade the card you'd have to hack a hole in the side for the connector

Are you having display problems with the vga as it should still work fine

I have a good look at the laptop and it look like it cant be upgraded due to positioning etc... even if a card was available...

The monitor does work fine but I was told I was loosing out on the benefit of a big monitor by using VGA... camparison was standar TV cable vs component?

I have 2 problems which I hoped it might solve....
    1) it's very faintbut on full resolution 1900/1200 I can see faint horizonatal lines constantly scrooling up the screen maybe an inch apart.... this doesn't happen when I use my x box plugged directly into the monitor... so I thought it might be an analogue thing..

2) the clarity on the new monitor is not quite as good as on my laptop displaay... eg if I drag some thing from one screen to the other I can notice a slight difference in quality....

I'll investigate one of those boxes?

Advertisement